PDA

View Full Version : "The Firm"

Teach
03-03-2008, 06:45 PM
We could take on any race. We had each graduated magna cum laude from HRH (Horse Racing Handicapping) Experience. We had -- over the years --developed our own area of expertise. We were -- as they say -- a force to be reckoned with. You could often find us in our not too overly ostentatious "office" on the third floor of the now razed Foxboro Raceway.

Oh, we've scattered now. But, in those days, we were the firm of: B T & W (Some people called us: "By The Way"). There was "Bucko" from Boston. "Bucko" was to handicapping the thoroughbreds what George Clooney is to current box-office appeal. "Bucko" had an MO: Maiden Claimers and Maiden Special Weights. These are the races his "clients" and his "partners" most consulted him about. His betting approaches were three-fold: the five-horse exacta box; the "swinging" trifecta; and the pick-3.

Then, there was yours truly, "Teach." I was probably the most eclectic of the bunch. I could certainly handicap the thoroughbreds, but I had "cut my teeth" on the harness races. As a former publicist, backup race announcer and track handicapper, I brought a good deal of harness racing handicapping experience to the table.

Finally, there was "Wes from Wellesley." We called Wes, "The Turf Doctor".
This man knew the confirmation of just about every turf horse that was ever foaled. He also -- by the way -- had minored in wet track conditions. He was uncanny in handicapping races that were anything from good to muddy.
Personally, as an aside, I learned a great deal from my "colleague." His famous comment was: "Wild Again-bred horses are like money in the bank on a wet track." Oh, as a race was being run, you could hear Wes calling out: "Be game. Be game."

Sometimes, we'd bring in consultants. It was all "pro bono." We'd give our consultants information; they, in turn, would reciprocate. In a way, they were like "amicus curiae."

One of primary consultants was "Mike from Milford." He was an expert in first-time starters. His favorites were No Double-sired horses.

Sadly, alas, "The Firm" has broken up. We've all gone our separate ways. "Bucko" bought a condo just outside Gulfstream in Hallandale. Wes has also moved and now lives in Rhode Island. My guess is is probably heads for Twin Rivers (formerly Lincoln) to do his wagering. I've decided to do my wagering from the comfort of my own home via the Internet.

Yes. "Those were the days my friend..." Yet, they did end. "The Firm" is disbanded...but not forgotten.