Of the top 3 finishers in the Big Cap, going into this race:

Heatseeker - 14 starts - 7 on synthetic; 7 on turf

Go Between - 22 starts - 2 on synthetic; 19 on turf; 1 on dirt

Champs Elysees - 13 starts - 13 on turf

In addition, Heatseeker was bred in Ireland, Champs Elysees in GB

Murph
03-02-2008, 09:25 AM
Hello Glenn,

Do your past performances have that correct info on them for this race? Which program did you get that info from, if it came from a form or track program at all?

Murph

GlenninOhio
03-02-2008, 09:49 AM
Murph -

It was just from the DRF summaries in the upper right hand corner of the pp box - in this case I compared lifetime starts to synthetic and turf starts - the residual would be the number of dirt starts.

Glenn

cj
03-02-2008, 10:22 AM
As I've said since the first meet at Turfway, this stuff is much closer to turf than it is to dirt.

If I were a breeder, I know I'd be breeding to a lot of those "bargain" turf stallions that are out there right now before everyone else catches on.

Tom
03-02-2008, 11:31 AM
With the spread of poly tracks, is it not now tiime to allow breeding to use..........artificial insemination? :rolleyes::lol:

classhandicapper
03-02-2008, 12:44 PM
As I've said since the first meet at Turfway, this stuff is much closer to turf than it is to dirt.

If I were a breeder, I know I'd be breeding to a lot of those "bargain" turf stallions that are out there right now before everyone else catches on.

:ThmbUp:

I've been saying since the beginning that a lot of breeders/owners are losing their shirt and others are getting rich without knowing it yet.

classhandicapper
03-02-2008, 12:51 PM
Has anyone studied whether the realtionship between these artificial surfaces and turf ability is greater as the distances stretch out?

It seems to me (and I am as far from an expert on these new surfaces as is possible) that stamina becomes a bigger and bigger factor as the distances stretch out on these new surfaces.

That would make me think that speedy dirt pedigrees would be worse in longer races on artificial than in sprints/miles and that the turf pedigrees and horses (that still accent stamina) would get progressively stronger as the distances stretch out.

In other words, a 10F race on artificial may practically be screaming for turf horses where one at 6F may be more neutral. (I hope I am explaining myself well)

cj
03-02-2008, 01:16 PM
Has anyone studied whether the realtionship between these artificial surfaces and turf ability is greater as the distances stretch out?

Actually, dirt sprinters tend to do just fine on turf. I think the longer the race, the greater the spread between dirt and synthetic/turf horses. I think regardless of distance, the relationship between synthetic and turf is tight.

JustRalph
03-02-2008, 03:30 PM
Actually, dirt sprinters tend to do just fine on turf. I think the longer the race, the greater the spread between dirt and synthetic/turf horses. I think regardless of distance, the relationship between synthetic and turf is tight.

I agree with this. I have made some of my biggest scores with dirt sprinters, first time on the turf. The 8F plus game on the turf is very different in my eye

toetoe
03-02-2008, 06:30 PM
Fellow Punters,

We must start a polymer-roots campaign to cover the Earth in Astrodirt.

Sherwin Williams are already aboard for the publicity. I may be able to get Al Gore, too.

Come on, brethren, the very existence of the horsies depends upon us.

Say, how about betting on merry-go-round spins ? Catastrophic breakdowns are minimal, I hear ... but that's anecdotal.

JPinMaryland
03-03-2008, 02:47 AM

you just got done saying that pedigree analysis is smoke and mirrors and now you're buying into it?? :confused:

cj
03-03-2008, 10:11 AM
you just got done saying that pedigree analysis is smoke and mirrors and now you're buying into it?? :confused:

That isn't what I said. I believe I said dosage was smoke and mirrors.

DJofSD
03-03-2008, 10:54 AM
Fellow Punters,

We must start a polymer-roots campaign to cover the Earth in Astrodirt.

Sherwin Williams are already aboard for the publicity. I may be able to get Al Gore, too.

Come on, brethren, the very existence of the horsies depends upon us.

Say, how about betting on merry-go-round spins ? Catastrophic breakdowns are minimal, I hear ... but that's anecdotal.

I believe in the interests of global warming, poly/all weather/artificial surfaces should be banned. The additional energy required to produce the coating and to administer it is contrary to the decrease use of energy and hydrocarbons demanded by the developing countries.

A return to natural surfaces which do not require artifical coatings is the preferred direction in this politically correct day and age.

rastajenk
03-03-2008, 12:44 PM
But what about those tractors and water trucks, spewing their noxious gases, going 'round and 'round keeping the dirt tracks maintained? Poly is Green! :jump:

DJofSD
03-03-2008, 07:31 PM
Poly is green -- horse pucky is green too!