PDA

View Full Version : never betting maidens at cal tracks ever again

rcknhrse
03-01-2008, 08:54 PM
first time starters are too numerous in too many races.
got clobbered twice today by FTS.
AS MY HORSES RAN 1ST AND 3RD OR 2ND AND 3RD.

Imriledup
03-01-2008, 10:30 PM
Stick with proven form and stay away from guessing games. Sounds like a good idea to stay away from the races like this.

JustRalph
03-02-2008, 12:11 AM
I read an article a while back where the writer was relating that the SoCal tracks purposely put these wildly volatile Maiden races in to create carryovers. I don't play them unless I am prepared to hit the all button in a pick3 or 4. And I rarely play pik4's ...............these maiden races can make a pik3 or 4 very expensive............

ny0707ny
03-02-2008, 12:18 AM
Yeah that is a big problem with maiden races. You need to look at the sire and see how many won first race out. Most people won't have that information. I think you can buy it online. The PP's won't tell you that.

ManeMediaMogul
03-02-2008, 07:31 AM
Instead of blaming the tracks, why don't you look at your selections and see if the horses you bet were relatively weak horses at the level.

Had their speed figures been equal to or better than par?

Were they returning too fast from a taxing first-time start?

Had they had too many chances already?

If so, maybe looking at a first-time starter made sense. Some of the best bets in racing are first-time starters in maiden races where the previously raced horses aren't that good and you can find a nugget - pedigree, works, adept trainer, etc. - that indicates a first time has a big look.

The Bit
03-02-2008, 10:47 AM
Those races do make pick 3's and 4's tough because even with all the best information about trainer stats, sire stats, pedigree, some of the firsters will outrun what they are supposed to do based on everything we have or can buy.

I also agree that these are nice races to come up with a horse that has a shot at a price.

rcknhrse
03-02-2008, 11:21 AM
Instead of blaming the tracks, why don't you look at your selections and see if the horses you bet were relatively weak horses at the level.

Had their speed figures been equal to or better than par?

Were they returning too fast from a taxing first-time start?

Had they had too many chances already?

If so, maybe looking at a first-time starter made sense. Some of the best bets in racing are first-time starters in maiden races where the previously raced horses aren't that good and you can find a nugget - pedigree, works, adept trainer, etc. - that indicates a first time has a big look.
I have done all of the above .Maiden races used to be cake for me,but lately i have been getting burnt.The last 3 bets i have made at Cal tracks involving maidens have depleted my funds.Bris ultimate provides plenty of info.The toteboard will at times show you a FTS that might be ready.Yesterday the FTS that came in did not have alot going for them compared to the horses who had already raced.Thanks for the feed back but for now I cry UNCLE

dutchboy
03-02-2008, 01:13 PM
Website www.TodaysRacingDigest.com (http://www.TodaysRacingDigest.com) has an article that states that since Santa Anita reopened Feb 9th a bet on all first time starters in maiden races has returned 5.41 for each 2 bet.