PDA

View Full Version : Joe Hernandez Biography

Rudolph Alvarado
02-29-2008, 02:20 PM
Dear All, I just wanted to mention that my biography on Joe Hernandez will be coming out by March 21. As many of you know, I have been researching Joe's life since 2002 with the assistance of his son, Father Frank Hernandez. The book comes with a CD featuring Joe's famous calls, as well as Joe's Last Call. A website accompanying the book can be found at www.voiceofsantaanita.com (http://www.voiceofsantaanita.com/). Please check it out, and tell your friends about it. I think everyone will be surprised by what I was able to uncover. Advanced copies were made available to select readers and all of them gave the book high marks. Pete Pedersen, the long time steward at Hollywood Park who was the winner of the Eclipse of Merit and Joe H. Palmer Award of Merit from the New York Turf Writer’s Association wrote that, “This biography stands as a remarkable work of research . . . . The romance of horseracing, the source of so much of its appeal, is given full marks . . . . But it’s the subject, Joe Hernandez, who emerges as a catalyst . . . . The book is a great read. For anyone who wants to know what horseracing was—and is—it’s a keeper! Joe Hernandez was larger than life. This rendition paints the portrait.”
Alan Balch, the Executive Secretary and Registrar, American Saddlebred Horse Association and Registry, as well as a one time co-worker of Joe's wrote, “When I read Dr. Alvarado’s inspiring story of Joe Hernandez, a torrent of memories came flooding back to me. He brings the original Voice of Santa Anita back to life, with all his charisma joined with a personal, deep love for horses and racing born of unique experiences.” I hope that everyone enjoys the book and that they will feel it is a worthy addition to the history of thoroughbred horse racing.

I also wanted to let everyone know that I will be having a book signing at Santa Anita on April 5, 2008, Santa Anita Derby day. I hope to see you there.
Repsectfully yours,
Rudolph Alvarado

P.S. There is a chance that on Sunday, April 6, Joe's call of Seabiscuit's victory in the 1940 Big 'Cap will be played over the track's loudspeakers. This will be the first time in over thirty-six years that Joe's voice has been heard over the track's loudspeakers.

46zilzal
02-29-2008, 02:21 PM
Always like the way he said "such and such is Thuryd!"

I understand it was this guy who was responsible for Cougar II to come up from South America.

toetoe
02-29-2008, 03:07 PM
Luke Kruytbosch has a similar way of saying "third." :ThmbUp:

Premier Turf Club
02-29-2008, 03:25 PM
P.S. There is a chance that on Sunday, April 6, Joe's call of Seabiscuit's victory in the 1940 Big 'Cap will be played over the track's loudspeakers. This will be the first time in over thirty-six years that Joe's voice has been heard over the track's loudspeakers.

I have got the call of that race ( I believe the date is March 2, 1940) on mp3 that I would be happy to post here. I don't know how though because its 600k. If someone can give me instructions, I will post it for all...

Ian

bigmack
02-29-2008, 04:16 PM
A couple of calls from Joe, courtesy of Ian.

http://s257.photobucket.com/albums/hh213/pacevids1/?action=view&current=JH1.flv

Premier Turf Club
02-29-2008, 04:26 PM
'Mack,

Thanks for posting these. I hope people enjoy them.

Ian

46zilzal
02-29-2008, 04:30 PM
Years ago, as a promotion, Anita gave out a record *dated huh,* or his best calls including a Silky Sullivan at 6.5 furlongs where he didn't get a call until the mike was turned off.

Premier Turf Club
02-29-2008, 04:40 PM
I might have one of Silky's on a pc somewhere. I will check.

Bruddah
02-29-2008, 10:12 PM
Thanks to both of you. I really enjoyed it.

Even 10 years ago,who woulda thunk it possible. :ThmbUp: