PDA

View Full Version : True Favorites

sligg
02-28-2008, 08:59 PM
I skipped January because Brisbet changed it's pricing policy.

For February, I purchased TSN Advantage @ $59.95.

Results:

WIN.
Bets: 17
Win: 15
Win % 88.2
$ Net: 13.7
ROI %: 40.3

PLACE.
Bets: 17
Place: 16
Place %: 94.1
$ Net: 9.00
ROI %: 26.5

Show bets are a loss.

These results are better than any of the previous 7 tests. It can't possibly continue at this torrid pace although every test has shown a profit.

I'm still not convinced about this method where the average mutual for win is $3.18 and place mutual is $2.69. To show a profit you must win better than 70%. In my opinion, an impossibility for the long term.

But I'll keep testing.

classhandicapper
03-01-2008, 04:24 PM
How often do you find a bet per 100 races handicapped?

sligg
03-03-2008, 12:36 AM
How often do you find a bet per 100 races handicapped?

This method has been getting one bet for every 300 races handicapped. It takes 20 minutes to do one day of handicapping which is about 180 races daily.

Selective would be an understatement. That's why this method holds little appeal to most horse players and even to me. It was a challenge and now...so what?

dutchboy
03-03-2008, 07:15 PM
Does your system have anything to do with the favorite being a certain level below the second favorite?

Hosshead
03-03-2008, 07:40 PM
Sal, Glad to see you've been able to switch over to the TSN $60/mo. plan and not miss a beat !
I can't remember exactly but didn't your method have something to do with the "best bets" (or something like that) given with Bris/TSN PP's ?

sligg
03-03-2008, 10:47 PM
Does your system have anything to do with the favorite being a certain level below the second favorite?

No. But in my spreadsheet I do record the odds of the second favorite and from a preliminary observation this is a non-factor. The second odds favorite are all over the place. On occasion when the favorite goes off at 1/9 the second favorite may be at 16/1 but then the favorite pays $2.10 across the board.

sligg
03-03-2008, 11:07 PM
Sal, Glad to see you've been able to switch over to the TSN $60/mo. plan and not miss a beat !
I can't remember exactly but didn't your method have something to do with the "best bets" (or something like that) given with Bris/TSN PP's ?

The first qualifier starts with Insider picks 3* bet. Then I use quick play for further qualification.

The big flaw in the method is that most of the bets seem to be with the 2nd and 3rd tier tracks where little money is bet into the pools. A $100 bet will skew the payoffs so that profitability becomes affected.

There is no fun betting my method. And where is the action. One bet every 300 races...really. It's tough keeping awake.

classhandicapper
03-04-2008, 05:07 PM
This method has been getting one bet for every 300 races handicapped. It takes 20 minutes to do one day of handicapping which is about 180 races daily.

Selective would be an understatement. That's why this method holds little appeal to most horse players and even to me. It was a challenge and now...so what?

If it's only taking 20 minutes for 300 races I assume most of it is automated.

Personally, if I had faith that it was a sustainably profitable method I would start betting them small and slowly work myself up.

I was profitably betting to place on standouts for about 18 months using a semi-automated method. I was gettting about 1 play every other day per track that I was looking at (only had time for a few). Unfortunately the profit margin evaporated to the point of uselessness with the expansion of net pool pricing and lower rebate levels. So I stopped unless I have real screamer, but those are few and far between (basically useless).