PDA

View Full Version : Handicapping 2028

WhyWhyWhy
02-28-2008, 04:28 PM
What will they think of our methods?

banacek
02-28-2008, 05:40 PM
In 1988 I was a decent handicapper, but those methods wouldn't work as well today. I had to adapt to survive. I assume that I'll have to continually adapt if I'm lucky enough to still be handicapping in 2028.

46zilzal
02-28-2008, 05:51 PM
Life is adapting to change. Read Future Shock by Alex Toffler. Those who adapt survive, those that don't go nuts.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Future_Shock

Cangamble
02-28-2008, 11:11 PM
In 1988 I was a decent handicapper, but those methods wouldn't work as well today. I had to adapt to survive. I assume that I'll have to continually adapt if I'm lucky enough to still be handicapping in 2028.
As soon a Beyer figures showed up in the form, many advantages went down the toilet equalling the playing field...of course, a higher takeout came along with it.

My father did track variants in the 60's. He had a huge advantage back then, too bad there was only one daily double and two exactors on each card.

dav4463
03-01-2008, 08:42 PM
Mine will be the standard against which all others are measured! :D

maxwell
03-04-2008, 09:11 PM
All this modern info hasn't changed the fact that the public still hits roughly 33% winners. It should be 80% ... like harness racing. :D

Records > 8-track > casette > CD > downloads > iPod = bad news for musicians, the industry, and music lovers.

Let's hope racing fans are still scratching their heads 20 years down the road.

46zilzal
03-04-2008, 09:56 PM
The good handicapper has to discover TWO fundamental things.
1) Find tracks they can demonstrate understanding to the point of predicting.
2) Within that group, find the ones that are not supported by the big handicapping services (Thorograph, Sheets etc.) where you are competing with a drove of weekend warriors.

Most people want to boast that they only bet the "class" tracks when better money is to be made at the off the beaten path venues, day in, day out.

I would bet Northlands in a heartbeat over Belmont, or Tampa Bay over Gulfstream.

Little venues, less sophisticated bettors.

Bruddah
03-04-2008, 10:42 PM
Giving up directions to the gold mine. Let them discover these things for themselves or not at all. :ThmbUp: :D

maxwell
03-07-2008, 05:49 AM
Z,

I go into a coma just gazing at the pp's for those type of tracks. Long layoffs, no works ... you name it!

How can you predict what a bunch of horses are going to do when most of them belong on a merry-go-round. Hey, I just came up with the name of Magna's next track!

Merry-Go-Round Downs. :)

Robert Fischer
03-07-2008, 10:29 AM
The good handicapper has to discover TWO fundamental things.
1) Find tracks they can demonstrate understanding to the point of predicting.
2) Within that group, find the ones that are not supported by the big handicapping services (Thorograph, Sheets etc.) where you are competing with a drove of weekend warriors.

I agree with point 1 totally.:ThmbUp:

For the second point, I do agree that it can be profitable to master a smaller track that doesn't attract much attention. If you are lucky to be one of the only informed players there you can do very well.

In general, a good handicapper actually wants "a drove of weekend warriors" with their sheets graphs and all. The more the better. Being a parimutuel game, you don't have to outproduce the masses, simply outperform them.

Fingal
03-07-2008, 12:07 PM
The Marines say it best-

Improvise. Adapt. Overcome.

:ThmbUp: