PDA

View Full Version : Aqueduct Feb.5th

jotb
02-05-2003, 09:12 AM
Hello all:

View the card for today and as usual most of the races are short and weak but there might be a spot play for today in the 5th race. I like this 3 yo gelding that goes by the name of PRIVATE RETREAT. He draws the inside which is always a cozy spot to be when going 2 turns on Aqueduct's inner. Private's first 2 races came over the summer at Sar. and Bel. facing MSW types so apparantly the trainer felt this horse had some ability. In both races he ran just a 1/4 mile and stopped in both. Hennig decided to put this horse on the shelf and 99 out of a 100 he probably bucked shins. Private returns in December on a day where the races were cancelled after the 1st race due to inclement weather(high winds). A full field of 12 went to the post and Private was a victim of a bad post(12). However he broke well from the 12 hole and chased outside and held sway through the stretch to finished 2nd only losing by a length. Not bad for a horse coming back off a 2 month layoff. The race needed further investigation so I buried my head in the result chart for the 20th of Dec. The winner Super Soup returned on Jan 17th to defeat straight 30k claimers stretching out to 2 turns. The field was weak but this race is not full of Forego's either. The 3rd place finisher KISSEN SAINT stepped up to a MD CLM 50K stretching to 2 turns and buried the opposition by 14 lengths with a 95 beyer. This was getting interesting because Private finish in-between these 2 horses that returned to win in their next race. The 4th place A DILIGENT RUCKUS did not come back to win but was hampered by a strong speed bias and still finish a decent 2nd. Keep in mind the winner of the RUCKUS race THE CLOWN was coming out of the KISSEN SAINT race and that one destroyed THE CLOWN. By the way, THE CLOWN's win earned him a 76 beyer. I still was not convinced that PRIVATE RETREATS race was key so I went to the 5th place horse by the name of HEY LOUIE and what did LOUIE do last week for trainer PATRICK REYNOLDS and owner PAT LUECI. He only won by 5 lengths but did it rather easily as a 4-5 should. I would have expected Private to return on Jan 16 with a good performance after the DEC 20TH race but I believe he was victim to another speed favoring day where the winner won by CASANOVA SLAMMER a runaway winner by 14 lengths or he might have bled as lasix is added for today. This is Private's 3rd off the layoff so he should be fit enough this time around and I like that HENNIG gave him a slow 1/2 mile breeze 5 day's ago. This horse should be set for a good performance and hopefully there is some leftover moisture in the racetrack as he is bred nicely for the off going and should appreciate the added distance.
PRIVATE RETREAT makes every pole a winning one....I hope..LOL

Good luck today,
Joe

Boris
02-05-2003, 04:11 PM
Not every pole, but hey, when your horse wins by 7 we'll cut you some slack. Excellent breakdown. Hope you bet him big.