PDA

View Full Version : Leno or Letterman? Leno is about to get paid

JustRalph
02-28-2008, 01:58 AM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23376785/

Jay Leno is about 2 years from getting paid big time to jump ship to another network..........Conan is going to find himself in competition with Leno when he takes over the tonight show in 2010..........I think Fox should pursue him hard..............

Just wondered............who is preferred.............therefore a poll..........

Leno or Letterman...........

ABC, Fox courting Leno for next late-night gig
Networks reportedly in pursuit of comedian after ‘Tonight’ contract ends

LOS ANGELES - Jay Leno has nearly two years left on the clock at "The Tonight Show" on NBC, but rival networks and at least one TV studio are said to be quietly, unofficially, courting the comedian with offers to keep him on the late-night circuit.

The New York Times reported on Wednesday that ABC and Fox both have discreetly let Leno know they are eager to formally engage him in talks about moving to their networks once the negotiating window in his NBC contract opens in late 2009.

And Sony Pictures Television has indirectly approached Leno through intermediaries about possibly giving him his own nationally syndicated show, and ownership of a second show, in a deal that would make him the highest-paid U.S. host on late-night TV, the Times said.

~more at the link~

Tom
02-28-2008, 07:55 AM
Letterman hasn't been funny in a decade. He is a sick, tired old man who has lost it all. A whinny little liberal who thinks he is King S***.
And the band leader of his ----what a total DORK!

DanG
02-28-2008, 09:12 AM
Letterman hasn't been funny in a decade. He is a sick, tired old man who has lost it all. A whinny little liberal who thinks he is King S***.
And the band leader of his ----what a total DORK!
I love that total “dork”. I met him at what used to be The Power Station and he is absolutely a great guy and a serious musician.

His work with The Brecker Brothers proved that not to mention that classic impression of Don Kirshner on SNL. (I can't find the clip btw)

Letterman broke the “Carson rule” of not wearing your politics on your sleeve. In TV and the restaurant business you automatically lose ½ you’re cliental. (I assume that rule doesn’t apply to the internet however.) ;)

Tom
02-28-2008, 09:42 AM
Paul reminds me of the manager of the orininal Sheik in pro-wrestling.
Eddie something? :lol:

I just do not associate Paul with talent. I think his stuff sucks.

njcurveball
02-28-2008, 09:47 AM
Leno excels at interviewing kids. He proved it again last night with Miley Cyrus. He seems lost with beautiful women and big stars.

Letterman is perfectly relaxed and brings out the best in his adult guests. He proved that last with Natalie Portman (who melted my TV).

Letterman also has the best band leader and the best band.

Leno "jumped the shark" when he tried to gain some Howard Stern fans by hiring Stuttering John.

I am still surprised anyone over 30 can take a steady diet of Leno. Letterman is the gold standard with the adults these days.

The younger crowd seems to prefer Jimmy Kimmel and if ABC loses him over paying Leno a fortune, they are not bright.

Letterman has been a "Grade 1" for a long time. Leno a good "allowance" runner and Kimmel is a young horse with lots of potential.

Jim

jballscalls
02-28-2008, 11:04 AM
Neither one is good. Leno is not better than Lettermen, he's just on NBC at 1130, which cause of Johnny, is what people watch. Its hard to be genuinely funny when you and your writers have to come up with an entire monologue each night, so they tell many jokes that arent really funny.

I always love hearing stories about what a dick Johnny C. was. they always crack me up.

Robert Goren
02-28-2008, 11:19 AM
When they both started Letterman got better ratings, that changed after about two years. Leno is better, but neither is as good as Johnny Carson let alone Jack Paar or Steve Allen. Letterman is a one trick pony and that trick got old along time ago.

banacek
02-28-2008, 11:29 AM
When they both started Letterman got better ratings, that changed after about two years. Leno is better, but neither is as good as Johnny Carson let alone Jack Paar or Steve Allen. Letterman is a one trick pony and that trick got old along time ago.

This is like saying which is better - Coke or Pepsi (it's Coke by the way;) ). It is a matter of personal taste. More people watch Leno, does that make him better. Letterman gets the Emmy nominations, Leno doesn't. Does that make Letterman better?

I've watched Letterman since he started. In my opinion, he's still just as good, just not as consistently. When Letterman is on, he's great. See when he just talks about something - like the last superbowl:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbQYL2Dk-Ho

Leno can't do it like that.

And if we want to know the answer, where's andicap, he's the expert!

Lefty
02-28-2008, 11:31 AM
leno about a 1000 times funnier than letterman. And btw, I'm way over 30.

rastajenk
02-28-2008, 11:36 AM
I'm sort of surprised that the late night talk format even exists anymore. It seems so stuck in the 60's and 70's, regardless of how funny or hip or "good" any of its practitioners are. People used to watch the 11:00 local news and lead right in to it. Who does that anymore? In the age of cable, dish, and Sportscenter, they are anachronisms. You can get your celebrity fix any time of the day; why stay up late to get it?

Maybe that's just my own experience, but I don't think it's too different from the mainstream. I remember people (kids, parents, etc) talking about Carson events the next day ("Did you see so-and-so last night...?"). I haven't heard anything like that in 20 years.

shanta
02-28-2008, 11:43 AM
Is Letterman supposed to be funny? :confused: I have no clue how he has a show on T.V.

I voted Leno by default. My "Best of Carson" Cd's blow them both away even after seeing them 50 times :ThmbUp:

banacek
02-28-2008, 01:05 PM
Letterman has been a "Grade 1" for a long time. Leno a good "allowance" runner and Kimmel is a young horse with lots of potential.

Jim

And have you watched Craig Ferguson do his monologue? Sometimes he's incredibly funny.

njcurveball
02-28-2008, 01:21 PM
And have you watched Craig Ferguson do his monologue? Sometimes he's incredibly funny.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I can't stand him and think Conan is about 1,000 times funnier than Leno.

My own "handicapping" is that NBC late night ratings go up when Leno leaves. Just my opinion as the people I work with and bowl with can tell you the Letterman top 10 and jokes and don't even have a clue Leno has anything to offer other than a ton of great cars and a cackling laugh.

Jim

Steve 'StatMan'
02-28-2008, 01:32 PM

Yes! I love his monologues best of all the current late-night hosts! Funny as hell, essentially a new stand-up routine every night, adjusted for current events and topics.

(Skits are a bit too cheesy, but what they hey, give them a better time spot and a budget. "Sit back, enjoy more of your favorite cold beverage, the skits get better with each can.")

RaceBookJoe
02-28-2008, 01:55 PM
Paul reminds me of the manager of the orininal Sheik in pro-wrestling.
Eddie something? :lol:

You are thinking of Eddie Creatchman. He was the 2nd manager( 1st manager was abdullah farouk) of the original shiek...ed farhat who died in 2003. His nephew is current wrestler sabu. Yeah, i'm into pro wrestling.....usually a little more predictable than those cheap mcl's at finger lakes :lol:

Tom
02-28-2008, 02:11 PM
Weren't Eddie and Farouk the same person?

JustRalph
02-28-2008, 02:12 PM
Is Letterman supposed to be funny? :confused: I have no clue how he has a show on T.V.

ding! me too............

RaceBookJoe
02-28-2008, 02:58 PM
Weren't Eddie and Farouk the same person?

No. Ernie Roth was Abdullah Farouk. Eddie Creatchman also managed the Sheik aka Ed Farhat.

Grits
02-28-2008, 03:32 PM
Letterman, hands down. I watch him nightly.

Paul Schaffer........a big pass.

dutchboy
02-29-2008, 10:15 PM
Leno once said he has never spent any of the money earned on his tv show. It has all been invested. He lives on the money he earns in Vegas and other appearances. Think his standard fee for a Vegas show or comedy show is something like 250k.

Don't recall where I heard it so the fig's may be a little off.

Tom
03-01-2008, 10:58 AM
Letterman, hands down. I watch him nightly.

Paul Schaffer........a big pass.

You spelled it wrong.

:lol:

Grits
03-01-2008, 11:32 AM
You spelled it wrong.

:lol:

What did I do, leave an e out somewhere? I spelled Tiramisu wrong too. LOL

(and I'm editing because I just did so AGAIN!):faint:

Tom
03-01-2008, 11:56 AM
pass

:rolleyes:

Burls
03-04-2008, 02:06 AM
He is a sick, tired old man who has lost it all.

I can't imagine the saying "It takes one to know one." ever being more apropos.

Burls
03-04-2008, 02:12 AM

That's what I like about you Tom.
You never let your complete ignorance on a subject prevent you from chiming in with an authoritative opinion.

Tom
03-04-2008, 07:26 AM
Hey Burls, got anything to offer other than personal attacks?
FWI, I think YOU suck far more tha Paul does.
At least Paul gets paid for being a dick.

And I do not think ignorance means what you think it means.
My opinion of Paul's music has nothing to with anything other than taste.
I thought somone who thinks he is as smart as do would know that.
Please forgive me for over-estimating you.

Burls
03-04-2008, 01:35 PM
I do not think ignorance means what you think it means.
My opinion of Paul's music has nothing to with anything other than taste.

Tom, are you mixing alcohol with your prozac again?
I thought we talked about that.

When you say 'I just do not associate Paul with talent.'
you are not simply expressing your taste.
You are insinuating that he has no musical talent - which is demonstrably false.

Tom
03-04-2008, 02:27 PM
Is your Hustler Magazine late again?
tsk tsk.....

Nothing better to do with that hand other than infect threads with more childish ramblings? Did you giggle when you posted it? I didn't think Reader's Digest put such simple words as "talent" in "It Pays to Enrich Your Word Power." But keep using it...eventually you will figure out what it means.

You are really a waste.

Burls
03-04-2008, 04:56 PM
Is your Hustler Magazine late again?
tsk tsk.....

Nothing better to do with that hand other than infect threads with more childish ramblings? Did you giggle when you posted it? I didn't think Reader's Digest put such simple words as "talent" in "It Pays to Enrich Your Word Power." But keep using it...eventually you will figure out what it means.

You are really a waste.

That's good, Tom.
When you are unable to construct a convincing reply to the substance of someone else's position, change the subject and start attacking them personally.
Rush would be proud.

Having won the argument once again, I can only repeat Neil Young here: "It doesn't mean that much to me to mean that much to you...."