PDA

View Full Version : Life's Lessons

Teach
02-27-2008, 07:00 PM
As soon as I walked in the door, I noticed her. Striking. She stuck out look a beautifully decorated ornament on a Christmas Tree. My heart skipped a beat. I can still see her face, now. Brown eyes. A round face -- that was framed by a coiffed page-boy look. Lovely figure. I tried to hide my glances, but it was no use. Impossible. I was mesmerized.

I had just walked into a classroom at a Boston-area college. I was taking summer-school graduate courses that would lead to a master's degree.

As I think back, she (her name was Barbara) looked like Melanie Griffith in the movie: "Something Wild!" (If you haven't seen it, I highly recommend it. Well, in the movie, Lulu – I mean Griffith – is wearing this black page-boy wig. She’s trying to seduce this yuppie played by Jeff Daniels).

Well, a few days later, I managed to find a way to introduce myself. I recall Barbara was reading the Upton Sinclair novel: "The Jungle." I remember saying to her, "Pretty gory stuff."

Soon after, we were talking and then -- dating. I have tell you -- it was wonderful. Those next several weeks were some of the happiest of my life -- well, with the exception of hitting a huge tri at Suffolk Downs some years later.

Yet, as the weeks had progressed and the course had come to an end, I began to sense a cooling in Barbara's attitude toward me. It was kinda subtle. Little things. I dismissed it as nothing particularly important. Maybe, she was having trouble with her parents? Who knows?

Then, one fall night, I took Barabara to a movie; we later went "parking." As I went to kiss her; she eased away. I remember saying, "What's wrong?" I'll never forget her reply: "I don't think we're right for each other." It was as if
she had just hit me with a sharp overhand jab to the choppers and then quickly followed that up with a sharp uppercut right into the "labonza."

Well, I have to tell you (I’m trying to tell an honest story here) I started crying like a baby. Tears are flowing down my cheeks like Niagara Falls. Just then, to add insult to injury, a cop comes by checking on people who were watching the "submarine races." Only I’m bawling away like I just missed the Pick-6 carryover at "The Big A." He motions me to open the car window. "What’s wrong?" he says, "Oh nothing, officer." (Not really). He walks away. Yet, as we were about to drive off. I remember saying to Barbara, "Is there any chance for us?" I recall her saying-- matter-a-factly, "Where’s there’s life, there’s hope."

Well, for the next several weeks, I was in a trance. I wasn’t eating. Hardly slept. It’s amazing I was able to teach school (I had just started my first teaching position). And, I kept calling Barabara almost daily. Most of the time
her mother would pick up the phone and say she wasn’t there. I tried writing her. No replies. I even sent her a dozen roses for her birthday. Nothing. Nada.
Eventually, I did give up. But not after much angst. In hindsight, I had been a complete fool. I had let my heart rule my head.

Just recently, I’m betting over the Internet. I had just missed – by inches — a several "bones" trifecta. I had the first two horses – medium longshots – but I couldn’t get my third horse home. Ouch!! Ouch!!

Well, I let is slip away, mentally. I wanted to recoup. To get revenge. To win. But, then, just like my ill-fated relationship with Barbara,
I started making irrational decisions. Just like those frequent phone calls and letters that went unanswered. I was pouring more and more money down the rat hole.

Oh, it wasn't so much that I had lost; it was the way I had done it! Without getting up, stepping back, and taking account of what was going on, I kept punting away. I literally coundn’t see "the forest for the trees."

As for Barabara. I don’t know whatever became of her. One of our mutual
friends had told me that she accepted a teaching position out of state. I would never lay eyes on her lovely face, again.

As I think back, life is filled with youthful indisgressions. It’s by the time we reach adulthood that we should have learned our lessons. But that would be wishful thinking.

Oh, by the way, before I leave you. One line from "Something Wild"
always stuck in the back of my mind. "Remember, no matter what, it's better
to be a live dog than a dead lion."

Grits
02-27-2008, 07:17 PM
As always, what a good story Teach. Still, I bet the one you married is, indeed, as fine as the one that got away.;)

Dave Schwartz
02-27-2008, 09:03 PM
Teach,

Yes, that was excellent.

A comment if I may.

I have no idea how old you are (I am 57 - gasp!). If you are anywhere near my age, you may be able to take take some comfort in the fact that she will be old and wrinkly very soon, if she isn't already. :D

Regards,
Dave Schwartz

PS: You write so well that I actually use the spell checker when responding in your threads. <G>

Niko
02-27-2008, 09:25 PM
I can relate to both sides at different levels....nice story and thanks for sharing.

Sometimes we get a little "pig headed" and things get away from us...

Zman179
02-27-2008, 10:18 PM
Ah yes, love and racing. I met my ex, Danielle, at Santa Anita. We were together for four years when she left me. Now, I always think of her whenever I see a horse named Danielle or a black colored horse (her favorite.) :(

Funny thing, she always hated Suffolk Downs.

Gibbon
02-27-2008, 10:46 PM
One line from "Something Wild" ... "Remember, no matter what, it's better to be a live dog than a dead lion." Perhaps. Life is fleeting so why live with ordinary expectations. I live, I love, I play for glories sake. The ordinary is quickly forgot, the extraordinary is remembered in songs and story by posterity. We would not be here if Lions among mere mortals [ Washington, Jefferson, Lincoln, Franklin, Patrick Henry (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Give_me_Liberty%2C_or_give_me_Death!) , etc...] who were willing to sacrifice EVERYTHING.

Granted life can be painful. Some will emulate Heath Ledger's concoction of pharmaceuticals to ease the pain. But those that survive trials will, as a consequence, become great. Peoples of bygone days were made of stern stuff. We as a prosperous people have gone soft.

"Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all." ~ Alfred Lord Tennyson
"The hottest love has the coldest end." ~ Socrates

cnollfan
02-27-2008, 11:07 PM
Thanks for the story.

DJofSD
02-28-2008, 12:15 AM
For whatever reason, lions v. dogs made me think of Kipling's poem, "If":

If

If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you;
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you,
But make allowance for their doubting too;
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
Or, being lied about, don't deal in lies,
Or, being hated, don't give way to hating,
And yet don't look too good, nor talk too wise;

If you can dream - and not make dreams your master;
If you can think - and not make thoughts your aim;
If you can meet with triumph and disaster
And treat those two imposters just the same;
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Or watch the things you gave your life to broken,
And stoop and build 'em up with wornout tools;

If you can make one heap of all your winnings
And risk it on one turn of pitch-and-toss,
And lose, and start again at your beginnings
And never breath a word about your loss;
If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew
To serve your turn long after they are gone,
And so hold on when there is nothing in you
Except the Will which says to them: "Hold on";

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with kings - nor lose the common touch;
If neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you;
If all men count with you, but none too much;
If you can fill the unforgiving minute
With sixty seconds' worth of distance run -
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man my son!

Murph
02-28-2008, 02:00 AM
I haven't read that since high school. Thanks DJ

Dennis Hopper recites this classic work here:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2593393813503283429&q=Dennis+Hopper+%22If%22&total=34&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=1

Big Bill
02-28-2008, 10:22 AM
Gibbon,

Thanks for providing that Tennyson quote. I was never sure how it went. I always thought it was, "It is better to have flunked the Wasserman Test than to have never loved at all."

Big Bill

toetoe
02-29-2008, 01:02 PM
Nice, Teach. :ThmbUp:

I liked that movie when I saw it, but after further cogitation, this steward has ruled ... nyehhh. Jonathan Demme directed, right ?