PDA

View Full Version : One less Conservative

Tom
02-27-2008, 02:02 PM
William F. Buckley Jr. died today at 82.
He went out writing - "in the saddle" his son said.

bigmack
02-27-2008, 02:18 PM
There's another one gone that I would have loved to have had lunch with.

I'd rather entrust the government of the United States to the first 400 people listed in the Boston telephone directory than to the faculty of Harvard University.

Even if one takes every reefer madness allegation of the prohibitionists at face value, marijuana prohibition has done far more harm to far more people than marijuana ever could.

Idealism is fine, but as it approaches reality, the costs become prohibitive
(Attn. Barack)

Some of my instincts are reprehensible

Robert Goren
02-27-2008, 03:15 PM
I belonged YAF in younger days. He was great mind.

GaryG
02-27-2008, 03:32 PM
One of those most responsible for my political philosophy. The other was Barry Goldwater. R.I.P WFB.

chickenhead
02-27-2008, 03:58 PM
rest in peace Mr. B..the world is richer for you having been here..

DJofSD
02-27-2008, 04:01 PM
R. I. P.

A very intelligent individual that was not ashamed to show it -- not "show off" but to not be intimidated by others because is was 'smarter than the average bear.'

Love his spy novels.

skate
02-27-2008, 05:42 PM
If he would have just let me help him with his vocabulary and conjegashuns.

He could have made it Big Time.

bigmack
02-27-2008, 05:45 PM
If he would have just let me help him with his vocabulary and conjegashuns.
He could have made it Big Time.
skaker - WFBII would call those conjugations.

skate
02-27-2008, 06:01 PM
skaker - WFBII would call those conjugations.

pretty funny;)

Tom
02-27-2008, 07:53 PM
“I won't insult your intelligence by suggesting that you really believe what you just said.”

“Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views.”

“It is not a sign of arrogance for the king to rule. That is what he is there for.”

“There is an inverse relationship between reliance on the state and self-reliance.”

“Scientists are people who build the Brooklyn Bridge and then buy it.”

JustRalph
02-28-2008, 12:02 AM
One of those most responsible for my political philosophy. The other was Barry Goldwater. R.I.P WFB.

Ditto!! Two greats......!

JustRalph
02-28-2008, 12:04 AM

[/size][/font]

That is classic

bigmack
02-28-2008, 12:42 AM
9Har3ByGiCI

ddog
02-28-2008, 03:47 PM
William F. Buckley Jr. died today at 82.
He went out writing - "in the saddle" his son said.

I always had him pegged as more of a Libertarian small c conservative.

The Firing Line series NEVER had a bad episode.
For those of you not around in the early 70's when he went on public tv , check some of them out.
Classics!
http://hoohila.stanford.edu/firingline/

Among the qualities he had that I will miss was his sense of humor that was evident in everything he did.

A huge loss to the quality of reason in this country.

A full life to be sure.

betchatoo
02-28-2008, 05:03 PM
He came to our school back in the 60's. I had a chance to meet him. Our philosophies would never mesh, but damn, he was brilliant.

skate
02-28-2008, 07:35 PM
“I won't insult your intelligence by suggesting that you really believe what you just said.”

Difficult to believe, but Willie was the first to bring lite to the sad fact of Liberal Profesors, on campus at Yale (?).

Education will never recover , but Willie gave his ALL.

Hey hey hey, listen, are you saying that you had a belief in my suggestion?

I suspect, bigmack was sleeping.

bigmack
02-28-2008, 08:00 PM
Hey hey hey, listen, are you saying that you had a belief in my suggestion?
I suspect, bigmack was sleeping.
Someone asked me "What if skate were a rhinoceros" I said "I'll tear him apocerous"

Put 'em up - put 'em up.

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u70/macktime/Cowardly2.jpg

Hey, don't forget to watch that Charlie Rose compilation. It's touching.

pandy
02-28-2008, 08:03 PM
I liked Buckley and particularly enjoyed his tv show, but one column he wrote about the song "Imagine" was one of the worst columns I've ever read. Some years ago on the anniversary of John Lennon's death, radio stations all over the country were going to play Imagine at a certain time, I believe Noon. Buckley wrote a column about this and in the column he admitted that he had NEVER heard the song (which is an astonishing admission, he was not as cultured as you may think). He then said that he didn't need to hear the song because he had the lyrics. He pointed to lyrics like, "imagine there's no heaven...no country...no possessions..." and basically said, "That would be terrible, what a misguided song!" He totally didn't get the fact that song lyrics are like poetry and they paint a picture, they make people think, they entertain, and they are not an ESSAY to be takin literally. My friends and I liked Buckley, but we got a good laugh from his column about the song Imagine, which showed how even someone who is very smart can be stupid about certain things they don't understand.

skate
02-28-2008, 08:04 PM
Now 'Stop That'...

Now i'm crying:(

chickenhead
02-28-2008, 08:06 PM
what was good to see...was that ferocious twinkle in his eyes when something sparked his interest.

Lefty
02-29-2008, 01:26 AM
He will be sorely missed but his disciples live on.

Now let's sing

Imagine if there were no liberals...

JustRalph
02-29-2008, 01:32 AM

I love that song :lol:

skate
02-29-2008, 05:21 PM
He will be sorely missed but his disciples live on.

Now let's sing

How about Crosby duly singing:

Wiffin Poof (?)

Baa Baa Baa

DJofSD
03-01-2008, 12:00 AM
William F. Buckley, Miles Gone By: A Literary Biography

William F. Buckley passed away on February 27, 2008. He was a guest on WBZ - AM's David Brudnoy Show in July to talk about his book Miles Gone By: A Literary Biography. The book is a collection of essays gathered from Mr. Buckley's fifty-year career as a writer. The author talked about a variety of subjects, from his childhood with nine siblings and his life as a family man, to his first New York Times bestseller and his founding of the conservative magazine National Review. Mr. Buckey's In Depth appearance from 2000 is also available to watch online at booktv.org. (Saturday 9 AM and 11 PM ET)

Secretariat
03-01-2008, 02:56 AM

“Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views.”

“It is not a sign of arrogance for the king to rule. That is what he is there for.”

“There is an inverse relationship between reliance on the state and self-reliance.”

I am sorry for the man's death. I enjoyed the Vidal/Buckley debates of the 60's/70's. I always thought his tatoo idea for AID's patients was over the top, but he at least presented his ideas in a true debate rather than the current radio personages.

Heres' a couple more of his quotes Tom you may have missed.

...a not too old one.

"One can't doubt that the American objective in Iraq has failed - different plans have to be made. And the kernel here is the acknowledgement of defeat."

- William F. Buckley, Jr.

...and an older one.....

"The central question that emerges is whether the White community in the South is entitled to take such measures as are necessary to prevail, politically and culturally, in areas in which it does not prevail numerically? The sobering answer is Yes — the White community is so entitled because, for the time being, it is the advanced race. It is not easy, and it is unpleasant, to adduce statistics evidencing the cultural superiority of White over Negro: but it is a fact that obtrudes, one that cannot be hidden by ever-so-busy egalitarians and anthropologists."

- William F. Buckley, Jr. , National Review

JustRalph
03-01-2008, 05:01 PM
You remind me of the Clinton's........... the way you post stuff.........what is the meaning of is?

"One can't doubt that the American objective in Iraq has failed - different plans have to be made. And the kernel here is the acknowledgement of defeat."
- William F. Buckley, Jr.

What part of "different plans" does the surge not fit into ?

...and an older one.....

"The central question that emerges is whether the White community in the South is entitled to take such measures as are necessary to prevail, politically and culturally, in areas in which it does not prevail numerically? The sobering answer is Yes — the White community is so entitled because, for the time being, it is the advanced race. It is not easy, and it is unpleasant, to adduce statistics evidencing the cultural superiority of White over Negro: but it is a fact that obtrudes, one that cannot be hidden by ever-so-busy egalitarians and anthropologists."

- William F. Buckley, Jr. , National Review

What part of the highlighted portion of the above do you not understand. If there is anything more clear than the "cultural" differences between blacks and whites....and the resulting success.............you are blind.........

Secretariat
03-02-2008, 12:38 AM
You remind me of the Clinton's........... the way you post stuff.........what is the meaning of is?

Buckley specifically mentions in the National Review - "...different plans have to be made. And the kernel here is the acknowledgment of defeat."

http://www.nationalreview.com/buckley/buckley200602241451.asp

His words, not mine.

As to the other quote. Again his words, not mine. I think the words speak for themselves.

“…the White community is so entitled because, for the time being, it is the advanced race. It is not easy, and it is unpleasant, to adduce statistics evidencing the cultural superiority of White over Negro,..."

Buckley's advocating in the 80's that those with HIV be tatooed was another miscue.

I am sorry for the man's family, but to sing this man's praises let's tell the whole truth.

He was outspoken, a man with a very extensive vocabulary, a man interested in debate, a man who listened in debate, and a staunch Cold War type of conservative. He was highly critical of neoconservatism, and for that we should all be thankful.

"The neoconservative hubris, which sort of assigns to America some kind of geostrategic responsibility for maximizing democracy, overstretches the resources of a free country. So it is not conservatism. A conservative always measures capabilities and resources, and these are simply incapable--now, even as they were in the 1919--of bringing on democracy."

- William F. Buckley Jr.

Buckley was in no way shape or form anything like the modern conservative who enjoys spending recklessly on foreign wars. Conservatism has changed drastically during his lifetime, as has liberalism. To be fair today's candidates in the Democratic party are sad representations of FDR and the New Deal as well.

BIG RED
03-02-2008, 06:07 AM
'Buckley was in no way shape or form anything like the modern conservative who enjoys spending recklessly on foreign wars. Conservatism has changed drastically during his lifetime, as has liberalism. To be fair today's candidates in the Democratic party are sad representations of FDR and the New Deal as well.'

Absolutely.

This is different times, with different people. When the Buckley(s) leave us, they are replaced, but not near the caliber of said. How batty am I? 2012, when the sun gets blocked, I will be on a mountain top, enjoying a falstaff :faint:

Lefty
03-02-2008, 11:32 AM
sec, there ya go again, twisting a memorial thread into an indictment of modern conservatism. Baseline budgeting funding thoseendless dem prgms that the dems set up is certainly part of the problem. BTW, John Murtha was recognized as "Porker" of 2007. He's a dem don'tcha know?

JustRalph
03-02-2008, 03:40 PM
sec, there ya go again, twisting a memorial thread into an indictment of modern conservatism. Baseline budgeting funding thoseendless dem prgms that the dems set up is certainly part of the problem. BTW, John Murtha was recognized as "Porker" of 2007. He's a dem don'tcha know?

Bingo!!!

Bush is no better though............... that medicare plan is as bad as anything the Dems have done.