PDA

View Full Version : What is the ODD MAN play ... anyone understand it..

imanatm
02-26-2008, 05:58 PM
Thanks for any info

Investorater
02-27-2008, 12:24 AM
I'd say,the odd man is simply an observe the tote method for attempting to determine supposed "smart money." Let's say its the seventh race and the three morning line favorites are the 5-2-6.Okay-it is now 3 minutes to post time and the 5 and 2 are the primary favorites in the win pool.The odds on the 6 have increased,though the odds on the 4-horse have decreased and intersected therefore the #4 has become the Odd Man.;)

imanatm
02-27-2008, 04:15 PM
thanks.

zerosky
02-28-2008, 04:25 AM
If memory serves then I think there is a description of it in the ATR-pro software package,
I may be wrong as it's a while since I used it.

rokitman
02-28-2008, 07:16 AM
If memory serves then I think there is a description of it in the ATR-pro software package,
I may be wrong as it's a while since I used it.
No, you're right.

Dave Schwartz
02-28-2008, 10:53 AM
Could you share what it says? (I am assuming it is not so deep as to fall into the category of "trade secret.")

rokitman
02-28-2008, 02:07 PM
Could you share what it says? (I am assuming it is not so deep as to fall into the category of "trade secret.")You have ATR, as I recall. ;)

Option Screen #2
THE ODD MAN tote system (thanks Peter Manti).
This is from a small-stable but highly successful Washington state/Northern California trainer whose only wagers,
aside from his own rides, was this play. The idea is to compare the top three Morning Line favorites for the race to
the top three betting favorites. If they are identical to the three from the Morning Line, you have no Odd Man. If,
however, you now have one favorite and only one new among the three (two of them being part of the original
morning Line three), you have an Odd Man.
When an Odd Man shows up, then the message “OM” will be shown on the STATUS BAR to the right of the track,
race number, MTP and date (if THE ODD MAN check box is checked).
The Odd Man is a very strong play as it is and should not be left out of any exotic wager, and is well-suited for
place/show parlays.
A mere glance at the past performances, almost too little to call it handicapping, further strengthens the play if any
of the following pertain: One of the track's top 7-10 trainers is handling the Odd Man. The jockey up today won
with this horse before. There is a change involved in today's race from last out (class, distance, surface, equipment,
to a top or known go-to jockey, to a bug boy with weight off, etc.). The horse is back today in 15 or fewer days
from last race. The track is off today, and especially if this race was switched from turf to dirt. The third section
above comprises my own tighteners, with the last condition especially potent: I will quintuple my usual bet when the
play occurs with an off track. The rationale for this is that many trainers attempt to scratch their no-chance mounts
but some are forced to leave them in: comprising what is known as “The Stuck List”. The backstretch compares
notes and knows who these are. Those not on this list and racing are generally truly live. I sometimes managed a
peak at the list at the old Arlington Park and could hardly wait for a rainy day, and then for me it rained money.
Neither the beginning odds of a horse that eventually becomes an Odd Man, nor its final odds (provided they are
still among the three betting favorites), seems to affect the play. It may occasionally happen that your original Odd
Man is replaced by another at the last minute or two: that is fine: play the new one. If, however, you do not have
any two of the original ML favorites within the top 3 betting favorites at the time you would place your wager, pass.

Dave Schwartz
02-28-2008, 03:05 PM
Thank you.

Kelso
02-28-2008, 03:40 PM
I sometimes managed a peak at the list at the old Arlington Park and could hardly wait for a rainy day, and then for me it rained money.

Thanks very much, rokitman.

Do you know if/why the "Stuck List" is withheld from anyone who asks to see it? Do most tracks follow the same policy as to who is allowed to see it, and do you know who they are?

Thanks again.

rokitman
02-28-2008, 10:14 PM
Thanks very much, rokitman.

Do you know if/why the "Stuck List" is withheld from anyone who asks to see it? Do most tracks follow the same policy as to who is allowed to see it, and do you know who they are?

Thanks again.Sorry, I don't know.

Tom Barrister
03-01-2008, 01:49 AM
The "odd man" generally leads you to an overbet horse. If I remember correctly, based on about a 3,000 race sample, it has an ROI of around 0.81.