PDA

View Full Version : The first 2008 NFL mock draft...oh boy

Bubbles
02-26-2008, 12:24 AM
Given that the NFL Combine was this past weekend and that I have a lot of spare time on my hands, I went ahead and did a mock draft of the first round. Call me Mel Kiper with better hair...LOLOL...

Anyway, here it is, and if there are any other degenerates out there who have drafts like this, feel free to post.

1) Miami: Chris Long, DE, Virginia
Rationale: Glenn Dorsey would be the best pick here if not for the red flags about his health. However, Long is a very safe pick, and would form a dynamic 1-2 punch in the 3-4 scheme along with Jason Taylor.

2) St. Louis: Sedrick Ellis, DT, USC
Rationale: Ellis has shot up big boards around the country with huge pre-draft workouts. St. Louis's defense needs a lot of help, and while a qualified linebacker would be more welcome, there aren't any worthy of #2 pick status. Again, Dorsey's red flags drop him down below this spot, as Ellis is simply the safer pick.

3) Atlanta: Matt Ryan, QB, BC
Rationale: It's a very solid pick for them, both in terms of talent and need-filling. It's just that simple.

4) Oakland: Glenn Dorsey, DT, LSU
Rationale: This works for a number of reasons. Despite his injury woes, Dorsey's the best defensive player available on a team that REALLY needs defensive help. Warren Sapp retired, so Dorsey could play right away. I could see Al Davis reaching for McFadden, but Justin Fargas had a breakout season last year, and is entering the prime of his career.

5) Kansas City: Jake Long, OT, Michigan
Rationale: For Brodie Croyle and Larry Johnson to have a chance at success, they need protection. The drafting of Long would bolster both the running and passing games, which is what KC needs following a disappointing season.

6) Jets: Darren McFadden, RB, Arkansas
Rationale: If you don't, you're nuts. He's the best running back in the draft, and someone the Jets sorely need.

7) New England: Keith Rivers, LB, USC
Rationale: New England could also go for a cornerback, but there aren't any that would give the secondary a true shot in the arm. The linebacking core is approaching social security, and this is a safe pick for a team that doesn't need much.

8) Baltimore: Trade pick
Rationale: This is painful, but Baltimore needs established playmakers on offense. Note to front office: Trade this pick for a wideout, draft Andre Woodson, Joe Fracco, Chad Henne, or Colt Brennan in the second round, and just see where it takes you.

9) Cincinnati: Vernon Gholston, DE, OSU
Rationale: Cincinnati's defense is horrible, and this guy is one of the best defensive players on the board. He can play linebacker as well, but is a much better defensive end and adds a cog in the trenches, not to mention a regional favorite.

10) New Orleans: Leodis McKelvin, CB, Troy
Rationale: Ooh, a reach for an almost-unknown talent! New Orleans has a secondary that was ripped to shreds many times last year. McKelvin not only provides skills as a cover man, but also can return kicks and punts and make his impact on the game there as well.

11) Buffalo: DeSean Jackson, WR, California
Rationale: This is a bit of a reach, too, but there's a reason for this. Losman and Edwards need a #2 receiver to stretch the field for Lee Evans. He's got attitude problems, but so did Marshawn Lynch, who, coincidentally, came from the same school. This is just a good fit.

12) Denver: Jeff Otah, OT, Pittsburgh
Rationale: Denver needs improvements in their pass protection. Otah is a monster, standing 6'6" and weighing 340 pounds, and has the speed off the line to be able to be a factor immediately.

13) Carolina: Brian Brohm, QB, Louisville
Rationale: As solid as he's been over the course of his career, Jake Delhomme is starting to wear down. Depth at QB is nearly non-existant in Carolina, with a first-pick bust (David Carr) listed as the backup. It's time to start grooming a successor, and Brohm is it.

14) Chicago: Malcolm Kelly, WR, Oklahoma
Rationale: Chicago is probably going to lose Bernard Berrian to free agency. They'll need to rebuild at that position, and Kelly is a bright prospect who can provide excitement at the wide receiver position.

15) Detroit: Kenny Phillips, FS, Miami
Rationale: Detroit's offense is high-octane, but their defense has simply been awful. Phillips is a top-10 talent who provides speed, good hands, and big-time hitting ability.

16) Arizona: Calais Campbell, DE, Miami
Rationale: Much like Detroit, their offense has a high ceiling, but their defense can't get out of the attic. Campbell is a solid run-stopper who helps fill that need.

17) Minnesota: Mike Jenkins, CB, South Florida
Rationale: Minnesota is short on depth in their secondary. Jenkins is solid across the board, as he proved by helping lead South Florida to as high as #2 this past season.

18) Houston: Jonathan Stewart, RB, Oregon
Rationale: Houston has the foundation to be successful in the coming years. The team does, however, have questions at running back (in recent years: Ron Dayne, Samkon Gado, Vernand Morency, etc.), Stewart had a very solid combine, and could solve their backfield problems fairly quickly.

19) Philadelphia: Mario Manningham, WR, Michigan
Rationale: Exactly how long can this team go before they draft a wide receiver? Reggie Brown will not win football games, and Kevin Curtis is the epitome of the word 'streaky.' Manningham's hands are suspect, but he's a deep threat who can outrace and outjump most corners, which Brown and Curtis can't do.

20) Tampa Bay: Aqib Talib, CB, Kansas
Rationale: The Bucs could go for a wideout here, given that Joey Galloway is in his late-30's and the rest of the wideouts aren't great. This, however, is a defensive team, and Talib practiced a Cover 2 scheme with the Jayhawks that is similar to what Tampa Bay likes to run.

21) Washington: Derrick Harvey, DE, Florida
Rationale: The Redskins are going to want to rebuild their defense first and foremost. Harvey is a quick, athletic rusher off the edge. He's not big, but if matched up with a tight end, he could make a sizable impact early on.

22) Dallas: Early Doucet, WR, LSU
Rationale: Dallas is going to want to give Tony Romo at least one new target in the first round. Doucet won a national title with LSU this season, and can learn the ins and outs of the position from Terrell Owens in his first years in the league.

23) Pittsburgh: Ryan Clady, OT, Boise State
Rationale: This is a steal. Pittsburgh is looking to patch up holes in their o-line, and Clady's probably a top-15 talent that slipped here by virtue of teams concentrating on other needs. He's a three-year starter, has a big frame (6'6", 317), and has the agility to keep defensive linemen off-balance.

24) Tennessee: Lawrence Jackson, DE, USC
Rationale: Tennessee was a playoff team last year, but if they want to get back this coming season, they need to improve their defense. Jackson has great size, and, when not double-teamed like he has been the past two years at USC, he can be very tough to stop.

25) Seattle: Felix Jones, RB, Arkansas
Rationale: This year, Shaun Alexander proved that he's on the downside of his career. The Seahawks will likely pick up Jones or Rashard Mendenhall as a result. I prefer Jones because I think Mendenhall was a beneficiary of the system Illinois ran. Even backing up McFadden, Jones put up good numbers and showed he could be a force at the next level.

26) Jacksonville: Earl Bennett, WR, Vanderbilt
Rationale: Who is Jacksonville's number-one receiver? I can't tell you, either. David Garrard could use a young, promising wideout, and Bennett, one of the best in the SEC for the past several seasons, is the best available.

27) San Diego: Jonathan Hefney, FS, Tennessee
Rationale: They could use another young defender in the secondary, but they may very well take whoever Seattle passes on at #25. LaDanian Tomlinson is entering his eighth season, and Michael Turner will likely leave the team. However, I think defense is the more pressing need at the moment.

28) Dallas: Reggie Smith, CB, Oklahoma
Rationale: Dallas will handle WR with one pick and CB with the other. Smith is interesting, because he's got durability questions. However, he's a big hitter for a corner, and has the speed to match up with receivers. If healthy, he's a great pick.

29) San Francisco: James Hardy, WR, Indiana
Rationale: San Francisco needs to provide Alex Smith with wide receivers if he's going to succeed at all. Hardy had a huge year for Indiana this season, with over 1,100 yards and 16 touchdowns. He's 6'5", and while he's not a burner, he is athletic and has good hands, making him a viable possession receiver Smith can go to.

30) Green Bay: Quentin Groves, DE, Auburn
Rationale: Green Bay's actually very well-set for the near future. Their offense is stacked with talent, and their defense is good enough to make plays when they have to. Groves has had injury problems, but he's also a talented defensive end who has 4.4 times in the 40-yard dash. This is a good position for the Packers to be in, and Groves is definitely worth the risk.

31) Pats: Forfeited.

32) Giants: Dan Connor, LB, Penn State
Rationale: Linebacker is where the Giants could use an upgrade. Their secondary, with Aaron Ross and Corey Webster, is young, but their front seven could use some new blood. Connor isn't the most athletic linebacker in the draft, but he's a sound tackler who plays to the whistle.

DanG
02-26-2008, 07:19 AM
Nice summary’s Bubbles… :ThmbUp:

I will add one opinion that through observation and listening to Parcells all these years I’m convinced of…

I would NEVER draft a running back in the first round.

It has turned into a “disposable” (for lack of a more humane term) position in the NFL. For every 1st rounder who you get 4 solid years from, there are dozens of examples where they were injured. As so many playoff teams prove every year…you need an explosive line and someone fearless enough to run hard and not fumble…period. Those players can come from almost any round (or even undrafted) as many teams prove each year.

PS: I realize you’re talking in terms of a ‘mock-draft here, but I was just thinking out-loud in case my Buc’s / Giants where thinking of going RB. :D

Bubbles
02-26-2008, 08:01 AM
I will add one opinion that through observation and listening to Parcells all these years I’m convinced of…

I would NEVER draft a running back in the first round.

It has turned into a “disposable” (for lack of a more humane term) position in the NFL. For every 1st rounder who you get 4 solid years from, there are dozens of examples where they were injured. As so many playoff teams prove every year…you need an explosive line and someone fearless enough to run hard and not fumble…period. Those players can come from almost any round (or even undrafted) as many teams prove each year.I can see your point, but at the same time, who wants to be remembered as the team that didn't draft all the great running backs who came out of the first round? It's akin to the Portland Trailblazers drafting Sam Bowie ahead of Michael Jordan. That kills your morale, kills ticket sales, and kills public interest.

Darren McFadden is going to be a very good, possibly great, running back. He ran a 4.33 40 not in customized spikes that weigh about as much as a paper napkin, but in normal tennis shoes. Some say that those shoes put on .05 seconds, and if that's the case, you're looking at a guy with wide-receiver speed who can also bowl over some guys. The Jets have a history of draft day ineptitude, but if McFadden is there at #6, I don't see how you don't pick him.

DanG
02-26-2008, 09:55 AM
I can see your point, but at the same time, who wants to be remembered as the team that didn't draft all the great running backs who came out of the first round? It's akin to the Portland Trailblazers drafting Sam Bowie ahead of Michael Jordan. That kills your morale, kills ticket sales, and kills public interest.

Darren McFadden is going to be a very good, possibly great, running back. He ran a 4.33 40 not in customized spikes that weigh about as much as a paper napkin, but in normal tennis shoes. Some say that those shoes put on .05 seconds, and if that's the case, you're looking at a guy with wide-receiver speed who can also bowl over some guys. The Jets have a history of draft day ineptitude, but if McFadden is there at #6, I don't see how you don't pick him.
I understand completely and Reggie Bush certainly gave the Saints an instant boost at the gate and on the field. Long term however, the Texan’s may be glad they chose Williams for example. (Maybe seeing the injuries my local Cadillac Williams has gone through is coloring my judgment a little.) :(

As far as McFadden I LOVED him in college, but his style of running and height scares me in the pros. Too upright when the Bob Sander’s of the world come blasting through his knee cap. I hope the kid winds up in the hall of fame, but I would stick with meat and spuds early in the draft. “Hopefully” finding a Bradshaw / Jacobs / Grant / Joe Morris type that teams like Denver seem to identify so well late.

BTW: I would also be very wary of drafting O-line very high. I know you need certain measurables to play left tackle, but I honestly believe great o-line play can be taught as long as you draft toughness and unselfish desire. (Having said that...'Long from Michigan is...NASTY!)

Good stuff Bubbles...You would make a good NFL gambling advisor! :ThmbUp:

Bubbles
02-26-2008, 12:10 PM
BTW: I would also be very wary of drafting O-line very high. I know you need certain measurables to play left tackle, but I honestly believe great o-line play can be taught as long as you draft toughness and unselfish desire. (Having said that...'Long from Michigan is...NASTY!)I agree that drafting an offensive lineman for the sake of drafting an offensive lineman is dumb. Example: Robert Gallery. Coming into the draft, all anyone talked about was his sub-5.00 40 time. It was blinding enough to fool Al Davis, and look where it got them.

Offensive linemen have nothing to play for once they sign that big huge contract. The only bonus an owner can really give is games played/started, and when you're paying someone THAT much, you HAVE to play them anyway.

There are, however, several teams this year who need to patch up their lines. Jake Long in Kansas City should be a good pick, and both Denver and Pittsburgh should find their guys, largely because neither team really has gaping holes anywhere else.

Fwizard
02-27-2008, 12:33 PM
I would agree with Miami's first pick...If the braintrust lets Jason Taylor loose then it would be perfect to have another monster on the other side...I thought they were going to do that last year when they got Joey Porter but they handcuffed Taylor instead. Chris Long has the body style tall, lean and quick that Parcells likes. I do think the Miami would rather trade down and hope someone wants McFadden bad enough to jump up but I don't think that will happen.

Bubbles
02-27-2008, 10:35 PM
Looks like Carolina's gearing up to take a QB...

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=Ai5sOmKOqHZPSM.YyZwC4mg5nYcB?slug=ap-panthers-moves&prov=ap&type=lgns

"Carr was released a year after he signed a $6 million, two-year deal with the Panthers following a five-year stint as a starter in Houston. But Carr struggled so much when he took over for the injured Jake Delhomme last season that he was eventually demoted to third-string."

DanG
02-28-2008, 06:33 AM
Looks like Carolina's gearing up to take a QB...

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=Ai5sOmKOqHZPSM.YyZwC4mg5nYcB?slug=ap-panthers-moves&prov=ap&type=lgns

"Carr was released a year after he signed a $6 million, two-year deal with the Panthers following a five-year stint as a starter in Houston. But Carr struggled so much when he took over for the injured Jake Delhomme last season that he was eventually demoted to third-string."
Great example of the danger in drafting a QB high…If you’re wrong…You break your franchises legs for a good 4 years as Houston did.

BTW: It's amazing how much better the o-line blocks when they respect the QB.