PDA

View Full Version : When the sun shines (too) bright

46zilzal
02-25-2008, 05:12 PM
Remember the 1990 Breeder's Cup sprint with Dayjur jumping shadows not once, but twice to lose the race by half a length when he had it won?

Horses have a very hard time when the brightness differential between the rail and the middle of the track is so stark. They often drop back on their instincts thinking it represents a object in their path.

Think that is bad? For all you photographers out there, the rail can often be 4 to 5 F stops brighter than the middle of the track, making an accurate photo finish a real challenge. Not only that, but as the sun moves low in the Winter sky, that brightness differential is ever changing.

Since sunlight carries a yellow cast, it requires one, often TWO deep blue filters to balance the exposure to make out a close finish between a horse right on the rail and one further out in the track. Also, because there is reflected light coming off the racing surface, a gray, neutral density filter is required to evenly shut off a lot of extra light. Also, one does not want a blue image, so each time the exposure changes, one has to white balance the images.

Add some meandering clouds to the equation, and one has to be very quick on the draw adding or pulling out filters to get the exposure required to differentiate a close finish.

Luckily the computer has various editing settings and split screen imaging controls to bring back under or overexposed parts of the photo. Sometimes, even on blow ups, the dark background of the racing surface is hard to differentiate from the brown of a horse's nose.

One of the filters is shown here......I vote for cloudy overcast days with no harsh shadows. It makes life a lot easier.

kenwoodallpromos
02-26-2008, 11:23 AM
I guess horse and cows both watch the ground closely when moving?

46zilzal
02-26-2008, 11:50 AM
I guess horse and cows both watch the ground closely when moving?
The essence of their PRIME defense mechanism (in horses) is flight. They have built in instincts to command that escape.

One of the most interesting sights I can recall was a visit to a large cattle ranch. I wondered why there were several open gates and none of the cattle ventured out. There was a special grate across the entrance. Cows (much like horses) will not venture on anything with footing they are not sure of. This grate assured uneven footing and not a one went out.

Marshall Bennett
02-26-2008, 12:29 PM
They can't even time a race correctly . What if the damn thing starts flashing ?

46zilzal
02-26-2008, 01:14 PM
They can't even time a race correctly . What if the damn thing starts flashing ?
what thing?

Greyfox
02-26-2008, 01:55 PM
One of the most interesting sights I can recall was a visit to a large cattle ranch. I wondered why there were several open gates and none of the cattle ventured out. There was a special grate across the entrance..

Howdy Pardner, yup we call them Texas Gates or Buffalo Gates.

http://esask.uregina.ca/management/app/assets/img/enc2/selectedbig/51F2B759-1560-95DA-4350B477D2AD88D6.jpg

Pace Cap'n
02-26-2008, 02:05 PM
Why is it that apparently a horse race is the only footrace to have dead heats? Maybe dogs do, have never seen one in a human footrace.

chickenhead
02-26-2008, 03:12 PM
have never seen one in a human footrace.

probably because you don't watch several thousand of them a year. They happen.

we call them Texas Gates or Buffalo Gates.

always like to find vernacular differences....we call them cattle guards here.

46zilzal
02-26-2008, 03:17 PM
Dead heats are not common events. When you enlarge the photo 200%, very very few are still left un-decided. Once you get that large, the pixels themselves are starting to make a difference and the stewards call it dead heat.

I have worked about 45 races per week since mid-October and we have had 4.

JPinMaryland
02-26-2008, 10:37 PM
I definitely noticed that shadow thing in the 2005 Fountain of Youth when Bandini tried to run down High Fly. There were two large shadows across the stretch and when Bandini hit each one he slowed down, he goes into the sun and he starts up. It wasnt really noted as such, and Pletcher said he would try blinkers next time out. I figured he was a good bet back for the derby but I think Ban. chipped a bone or something....