PDA

View Full Version : Who can explain thiss ???

John
02-25-2008, 11:13 AM
According to "Equidaily.com"

Fountain of Youth timing:

DRF article tabs FOY final time at 1:50.17 :blush:

Equibase has the time at 1:49.53 :blush:

BRIS clocks in at 1:51.85 :blush:

BillW
02-25-2008, 11:31 AM
According to "Equidaily.com"

Fountain of Youth timing:

DRF article tabs FOY final time at 1:50.17 :blush:

Equibase has the time at 1:49.53 :blush:

BRIS clocks in at 1:51.85 :blush:

John,

GP timers have been out to lunch for quite a while now (at least the turf) I guess they left the dirt timers go into disrepair.

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34397

RonTiller
02-25-2008, 11:47 AM
The time that originally went into the Equibase system was 1:51.85. Our charts reflected that time, as they are posted after all the races have been made official in the Equibase system.

It was subsequently changed, after the race had been made official and the data disseminated to VARs. The official time is now 1:49.53.

No idea what happened.

Ron Tiller
HDW

John
02-25-2008, 11:48 AM
Bill, How do you know which one is correct ??? :mad:

BillW
02-25-2008, 11:57 AM
Bill, How do you know which one is correct ??? :mad:

Just like all others that we take Equibase's word for. What ever they have in the database at the time we need to use it (1:49.53 per Ron above). Unfortunately GP timer dis-function seems to be a fairly common occurrence.

Marshall Bennett
02-25-2008, 12:10 PM
One one thousand two one thousand three one thousand ect ect. :cool:

alysheba88
02-25-2008, 12:19 PM
Beyer has been talking about this for years. How timing of races is suspect. There is no uniformity. People who crunch #'s spend a lot of time trying to make sense of it all and as often or not are looking at faulty information.

Racing needs to take advantage of the technology available to make this a non issue. All races should be timed in thousands of a second, using chips.

kenwoodallpromos
02-25-2008, 03:37 PM
The time that originally went into the Equibase system was 1:51.85. Our charts reflected that time, as they are posted after all the races have been made official in the Equibase system.

It was subsequently changed, after the race had been made official and the data disseminated to VARs. The official time is now 1:49.53.

No idea what happened.

Ron Tiller
HDW
Are you talking about just Equibase or do the track officials change the time after all the races? Are they adjusting for variants?

Cratos
02-25-2008, 04:09 PM
Beyer has been talking about this for years. How timing of races is suspect. There is no uniformity. People who crunch #'s spend a lot of time trying to make sense of it all and as often or not are looking at faulty information.

Racing needs to take advantage of the technology available to make this a non issue. All races should be timed in thousands of a second, using chips.

You got my vote. Improper timing and old technology in a sport whose foundation is about time and the accuracy of time should never be acceptable.

46zilzal
02-25-2008, 06:15 PM
There are many things that can set off a teletimer: birds, fans, any number of excessive vibrations.

Having a back up system, most should be caught quickly however.

joeya
02-25-2008, 07:09 PM
From Bloodhorse.com ... (02/28/08

Upon review, the fractions and final time for the Feb. 24 Fountain of Youth Stakes (gr. II) have been adjusted, with Gulfstream Park’s official final time for the 1 1/8-mile race now to be listed as 1:50.07.
The official fractions for the race, won by Cool Coal Man, are :24.03 for the first quarter, :47.62 for the half-mile, 1:11.52 for six furlongs and 1:36.32 for the mile. Bernie Hettel, Gulfstream Park’s Racing Operations Manager, timed the race.

“I looked at it three times, hand timing it each time, and those are the fractions and final that we keep coming up with,” Hettel said in a release issued by the track. “As this was hand-timed, there may be some incremental differences from clocker to clocker, but we are satisfied with what we have found.”

The timing of the race was put under review when it was determined that an outrider and his pony, stationed about 20 feet in front of the starting gate, crossed in front of the timer and tripped it before the lead horse reached the mark.

John
02-25-2008, 07:23 PM
Thanks Joyea,

Maybe we should all go out and buy a hand stop watch...Humm, My wife is a gym coach she must have a few of those watches.

:) :) :)

plainolebill
02-25-2008, 11:53 PM
I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong but if the outrider tripped the light the internal fractions, other than the 1st, should be the same as the revised time. No?

BillW
02-26-2008, 12:08 AM
I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong but if the outrider tripped the light the internal fractions, other than the 1st, should be the same as the revised time. No?

All internal call points will be offset by the initial error. If the beam was triggered a second early, a 25.0 becomes a 24.0, a 48.0 becomes a 47.0 etc.The fractions (call3 minus call2 etc.) should be as you say.

plainolebill
02-26-2008, 01:36 AM
I don't have access to the original fractions, I wonder how close the offset times would be to those 'hand timed from the video'.

toetoe
02-26-2008, 02:14 PM
In any event, the final furlong reminded me of that old warrior Diplodicus.

Cratos
02-26-2008, 02:30 PM
There are many things that can set off a teletimer: birds, fans, any number of excessive vibrations.

Having a back up system, most should be caught quickly however.

The things you mentioned are based on old technology. Having spent many years in telecommunication and aerospace engineering most if not all of those interferences can easily be eliminated.

46zilzal
02-26-2008, 03:04 PM
The things you mentioned are based on old technology. Having spent many years in telecommunication and aerospace engineering most if not all of those interferences can easily be eliminated.
IF, the technology of the course is consistent with what is available. You think these guys are anywhere CLOSE to up to date? That is a laugh.