PDA

View Full Version : Kafwain

cj
02-04-2003, 08:30 AM
He was awarded a 114 Beyer for his San Vincente performance. Normally, I discount sprints when looking for Derby horses, but this horse has already run well at 1 1/8 miles. Could be looking at some real good ones this year.

CJ

rrbauer
02-04-2003, 10:29 AM
That 114 translates to about a 3+ on the Ragozin scale (before any ground-loss adjustment). I liked the way he sat off the speed and when it came time to take care of business, he took care of it. This guy always had some talent, but it looks like the rough edges are gone. Easily his best race, not only by the numbers but in terms of being visually impressive, too.

Where's PA and our Triple Crown window? The juices are flowing!!

PMANN1
02-04-2003, 12:38 PM
Looks great at this point in time but I believe this is a case of going too fast too quick. Similar to Harlans Holiday last year.

cj
02-04-2003, 01:11 PM
He never went that quick last year, or even very close to it.

CJ

JustRalph
02-04-2003, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by cjmilkowski
He never went that quick last year, or even very close to it.

CJ

Great Point! :cool:

JustRalph
02-05-2003, 05:12 AM
I just watched the race from Feb 2nd at Santa Anita, on racereplays.com. The speed rating doesn't tell it all. He circled the field on the turn and made it look easy.

Check out the fractions: 22.13 44.12 108.10

121.12 for 7F. Man that was one hell of a race. Espinoza never really asked with more than a hand ride. Denman described it as "Strolling home" in the call.
:cool:

PMANN1
02-05-2003, 12:52 PM
Harlan's Holiday had a 110 Bris rating before the Derby. Not sure how close that equates to Beyer. I used him just because he was a recent example. I wish you luck and the sport needs a Superstar so I surely wouldn't mind seeing one sweep them all this year. I just don't get too excited about Derby Contenders until about March because I've seen too many early super performers run up the track in May.

cj
02-05-2003, 12:57 PM
PMANN1

Agreed on the enthusiam part. I have learned to keep my "fan of the game" interests and wallet as two completely separate entities! Also, I wasn't saying he was the one, just that there appear to be a lot of good ones this year. As always, only time will tell.

One other thing, a question. My memory isn't always the greatest, but didn't Silver Charm start his campaign with a fast win in the same race?

CJ

Tee
02-05-2003, 03:11 PM

One other thing, a question. My memory isn't always the greatest, but didn't Silver Charm start his campaign with a fast win in the same race?

CJ [/B] http://www.drf2000.com/crown2002/pps/silvercharm.pdf

WINMANWIN
02-05-2003, 11:16 PM
He was awarded a 114 Beyer for his San Vincente performance. Normally, I discount sprints when looking for Derby horses, but this horse has already run well at 1 1/8 miles. Could be looking at some real good ones this year.

CJ

Some things never change, With Mr. Baffert running multiple colts
in the derby. His top 3 are Vindication,Kafwain, and Domestic dispute, and I'm sure one or 2 others possibly.
They will all be un-coupled entries, I hate that scenario.

bdhsheets
02-06-2003, 02:04 AM
Apalachian Thunder an impressive alw winner vs Scrimshaw

Echeverria clunker in alw/optional claimer, is better

Icecoldbeeratreds on sidelines since last in the Champagne stks, distance limitations?

Bull Market & Friendly Mike also on the sidelines

Spensive ran a fair 4th in the muddy mediocre Golden Gate Derby

Truckle Feature nice alw win last Dec at Holly

Sailinwithcaptain clunker in Cal bred Stks last Dec

Martinblestme fair 2nd in same Cal bred race

Composure (f) is also nominated to the Ky Derby

I think he desperately wants to break D Waynes record for number of entrants in the Derby.

'sheets

keenang
02-06-2003, 10:59 AM
I SAW 2 HORSES THAT I THOUGHT DID WHAT IT TAKES TO W

IN,WHETHER THEY WILL RUN IN MAY WHO KNOWS. THEY ARE:

INDY DANCER
LION TAMER

GENE