PDA

View Full Version : 24FEB08SA Selections

SRK
02-24-2008, 02:47 PM
Race 1

Early speed has done very well at 7 Furlongs, as have the favorites. So with that being said, I feel somewhat confident in backing the morning line favorite, Gone Grand (2) in today’s opener. Grand gets a jock change to good front end jock Bejarano, and also switches back to the AW after flashing good speed before fading against allowance types. He shouldn’t face any where near the same pace pressure here, and is a gate to wire threat !!! Warrens Flyin High (3) is one of only two in here who have beaten winners, and the only one to have notched a victory at this tough distance. He steps up a level after a decent second going a mile in his last. Kindacatchy (5) finished just a neck behind Warren in their 7 Furlong race, but will offer some value as he was eased in his last. He has come back to work 4 times since, so he still deserves a mention underneath in your exactas. With only 6 horses entered, and predicting a chalkly outcome, I am passing on the trifecta.

SRK
02-24-2008, 03:17 PM
Race 2

A group of older and suspect Maiden Claimers line up for today’s second. You have one first time starter in this group of seven, and no less than five who come back after lengthy (more than three month) vacations. Luck is Mandatory (4) has recency and a drop from straight Maidens in his favor. Talamo is in the irons, and unless someone else pops, and with a little luck, this one gets his picture taken. After that, you take your chances with this shaky bunch. Danny Templeton (1A) has been off two months after running 6 furlongs in 1:08 and change on December 26th. He has a spotty workout pattern since. He has a spotty record, period. Both Carona Time (5) and first-timer Thornmark (2) have impressed in the morning. Yvett’s Pride (6) is the morning line favorite, and I can’t figure out why. That concerns me.

juanepstein
02-24-2008, 03:44 PM
the connectiona are right on the #6.

ral h. ayers is mullins assistant trainer and gryder gets good calls on mullins horses.

thats about all i can see.

mullins is out on a medication charge.

SRK
02-24-2008, 04:07 PM
Race 3

I had to double check and make sure I was looking at today’s Form when handicapping this race. Each of the first three races looked liked something you’d see midweek, not on a Sunday. Theodora (6) was off a step slow, from the rail, in her Hollywood Park debut and finished decently for trainer John Shirreffs, whose horses usually improve in their second start. Mini Do (1) made the lead from the 11 post in her last, setting very quick fractions before tiring late. She will be gunning again today, from the rail, and if it weren’t for her unlucky draw, she’d be my top pick. HolladayDixie (5) debuts for Carla Gaines, and who knows, ladies day may be Sunday this week !!!

SRK
02-24-2008, 04:17 PM
Off Turf - pass

SRK
02-24-2008, 05:34 PM
Race 5

Finally – a horse race. Would not be surprised to see at least a couple of these show up in Stakes and even some Graded company down the road. Dilemma (2) just missed by a nose to take down the G2 Hollywood Prevue as a 2-y-o. Lightly raced since then, she was probably a tad short when he just missed at this same distance on January 26th. That race was the second fastest run at this distance at the meet. A good chance at a short price if he moves forward. Mi Arcobaleno (1), run just a tick slower than a G2 run later the same day (jan 12) in his last. Its really hard to compare times at Santa Anita right now, so in my opinion the best comparisons are intra-day. On that basis, Mi Arcobaleno figures today. So does Niagara Causeway (5), who has proven he belongs with this kind, and on your exacta tickets in this short, but solid field.

SRK
02-24-2008, 06:08 PM
Race 6

Off the turf. First Take (7) has run respectfully routing over the AW and could get up at the wire. Golden Lips (3) is going to be prominent throughout, and if no tries to steal this, he could have enough in the tank to last a long way. Burnt (2) is getting a lot of play, mainly because of the Frankel factor. Mirror Pond (1) is the longest price on the board and doesn’t deserve to be. With no projected early pace pressure, she could also hang around a long time.

SRK
02-24-2008, 06:33 PM
Race 7

While it appeared no one wanted the lead in the last race, most appear to want to contest it here. Thus, an off the pace victory seems most likely. Of course, you don’t need me to tell you that, just look at the tote board. Glorified (8) looks like she is not only the class of the field, but has the winning style. Overly Tempting (5) looks like a lady who is in great shape. Her last race really sets her up nicely for this, and she also does not appear to need the lead. Coco Belle (3) appears to be the speed of the speed, and could hold on for a piece of the pie. Tiz Elemental (7) has been working well for her return, and if she’s ready, could certainly be picking up a lot of the pieces late. .

SRK
02-24-2008, 07:04 PM
Race 8

I think Sweet Belle (5) has a decent chance to pull a minor upset and take home the trophy in today’s featured Academy Award Hndcp. She has run well at this distance, and at Santa Anita. She prepped for this with a very nice try over the AW at 8.5F, coming again late to just miss. Her mile workout since says “I’m ready.” Note trainer Delima also prepped her at a mile and a sixteenth over the main track before her last turf victory. Lake Placid (4) is the favorite, and would certainly be no surprise. I’m hoping the distance and the slightly soft turf will be enough to keep her out of the limelight today. Only 5 take to the stage, so I’ll be rooting for these two in my exactas.

SRK
02-24-2008, 07:39 PM
Race 9

The cheapest four legged animals on the grounds will decide today’s Pick 6 and High 5 (bastards)…..not so fast……actually favorites are winning these cheapos at a decent 33% rate. So if nothing else, you have fair odds on the current favorite Looks Great (6). Ran well and finished well versus similar in his last.

The contention does not stop there, obviously, and Po’manshoss (9) looks like he will be closing into the early pace and should pick most of them off. A first timer who might make an impact is Like Smarty (12) who has been working well for trainer Peter Eurton, who occasionally pops with these. I’m in the Mood (2) draws the rail, but if he is in the mood, might be good enough to hit the board at a price.