PDA

View Full Version : Question on Wagering

douglasw32
02-23-2008, 11:23 PM
I have a simple question that may not have a simple answer.

I usually enjoy betting to Win and Place as mentioned before, on my top horse no matter the odds.

But... I always bet around the low priced favs and usually end up watching the one I knew would win, well... win.

Here is what I want to do but I am not sure of the math ?

If it is a favorite below a certain point like say 2-1, then just bet the whole chunk to Win because if it does not and places, who cares the place would pay like $2.10 anyway.

If not still bet Win/Place as the place if no win and it does place should be 3-4-and up bucks.

I know I could just take the hit and not bet the fav, but it just seems so wrong to do all the handicapping come up with the fav, then ignore him for the 2nd horse at a price, and watch him walk away with the race?

help... I can handicap, but I can not bet the right way.

:)

rufus999
02-23-2008, 11:54 PM
help... I can handicap, but I can not bet the right way.

If you're good enough to pick the winner in a race from two horses, bet the doubles. That's four x prime bet to cover all the choices and the payoffs will be considerably greater.

rufus

Robert Fischer
02-23-2008, 11:58 PM
If it is a favorite below a certain point like say 2-1, then just bet the whole chunk to Win because if it does not and places, who cares the place would pay like $2.10 anyway.

Are you able to look at the Place Pool Tote information?
Sometimes a horse pays $6 to win(2-1) and $3.50 to place.

If you can't see the Place Pool Tote Info maybe 8-5 odds or lower on the winner ? Maybe even money 1-1?

I usually enjoy betting to Win and Place as mentioned before, on my top horse no matter the odds.
But... I always bet around the low priced favs and usually end up watching the one I knew would win, well... win.

Bet your horse or if you can't get a decent price on your horse, skip that race :ThmbUp: Good Luck.

douglasw32
02-24-2008, 12:57 AM
Ahh there is the catch, I usually play the feature race in advance using youbet.
Hardly ever there at post time.

Pretty good at knowing if I ended up on the would be favorite though.

Therefore not worth skipping the race as it is "IN" long before that option is apparent.

Might play 3 a week if lucky, usually 2 on sat and sun.

douglasw32
02-24-2008, 09:21 AM
Never thought of that one? hmmm. grand idea for a weekend warrior.

kitts
02-24-2008, 01:31 PM
If your fave turns out to be 6/5 or even money, bet him only to place. I have done this often and the last time I tracked it (50 races) it hit at about 80% and made money. Odds-on or less don't bother