PDA

View Full Version : Mario Pino

AQUEBUCKS
02-23-2008, 01:42 PM
Why anyone would ever put this guy on a horse? Andy Beyer said it best...

If you tried to purposely keep a horse out of the money, you couldn't have done it better than Pino in Aqueducts 3rd race (Gold and Blue Box)

bettheoverlay
02-23-2008, 02:54 PM
Why anyone would ever put this guy on a horse?

I have Pino overall since Oct 28%W .99 ROI. 7/19 since Feb2 at Aqu. In routes since Oct 36%W 1.32 ROI. On my top power rated horse he is winning at 52% -better than almost all of the highly regarded jocks.

JimG
02-23-2008, 02:57 PM
Aquebucks is right. It was a horrible ride.

Pell Mell
02-23-2008, 05:39 PM
Would it have been a terrible ride if the rail didn't close up and he won? Here's a jock that tries to find a hole rather than circle the field and because it didn't work out he's a bum. Get Real:rolleyes:

TravisVOX
02-23-2008, 06:42 PM
It was a horrendous ride. I posted on another site it's the running for cracking the Top 5 of my Worst Rides in Racing List. When the nominating committee meets tonight, I'll know more.

TravisVOX
02-23-2008, 06:44 PM
Would it have been a terrible ride if the rail didn't close up and he won? Here's a jock that tries to find a hole rather than circle the field and because it didn't work out he's a bum. Get Real:rolleyes:

Did you watch the race? It had disaster written all over it from the start.

banacek
02-23-2008, 08:52 PM
Did you watch the race? It had disaster written all over it from the start.

To me, what made that ride even worse was that it was a six horse race - the horse should never have gotten into that kind of trouble in such a short field.

njcurveball
02-23-2008, 10:44 PM
If you tried to purposely keep a horse out of the money, you couldn't have done it better than Pino in Aqueducts 3rd race (Gold and Blue Box)

You do realize he had the rail path behind the 1-2 favorite? If that horse draws away and wins like a 1-2, this horse finishes 2nd.

You also realize the "King of Aqueduct", Ramon Dominguez was on that horse?

Ad infinitum in other threads, jocks were roasted for going wide. Now we have a jock save ground only to be stopped by the Kings 1-2 favorite and it is viewed "purposely keeping the horse out of the money".

Love the New York fans! :jump:

cj's dad
02-23-2008, 11:36 PM
Second in the Kentucky Derby and the Breeders Cup

Will you people get a God damn life !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

shoelessjoe
02-23-2008, 11:42 PM
Has ridden over 6,000 winners in his career cant be that bad,better on the turf then dirt.

TravisVOX
02-24-2008, 12:22 AM
Second in the Kentucky Derby and the Breeders Cup

Will you people get a God damn life !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not necessary. He rode a bad race, in my opinion. If you disagree, rather than throw out pointless attacks, tell us why.

To use career victories is like saying Jack Nicklaus could beat Tiger Woods... I mean afterall, he has more major victories!

exiles
02-24-2008, 01:00 AM
Why anyone would ever put this guy on a horse? Andy Beyer said it best...

Pino was thinking about the 3d race while riding the #2 Strummer in the 7th
so from the 1 post on a horse w/tactical speed he came 6 wide into the stretch and blew the win,back to the minors at Laurel he sucks.

The Bit
02-24-2008, 01:08 AM
Pino was thinking about the 3d race while riding the #2 Strummer in the 7th
so from the 1 post on a horse w/tactical speed he came 6 wide into the stretch and blew the win,back to the minors at Laurel he sucks.

It is amazing how we can watch the same race and come up with completely different opinions. Mine is right of course.

I bet Strummer ( In exactas with Berry Bound and the winner, Regal Prince was it? ) and was elated when Pino decided to take him off the pace. I noticed in his pp's that he had rated and ran pretty well before and everyone from Dave Liftin to amatuer bloggers made mention of how much speed was in that race and did you see where the pace horses finished? So instead of being stuck along the rail, dueling through very fast fractions ( 22 flat wasn't it? ) he takes back and makes a run from off the pace and gives his horse a fighting chance.

A very heady ride if you ask me. But to each his own.

The Bit
02-24-2008, 01:13 AM
It is also amazing that Pino is getting crucified for trying to find a hole on the rail while N. Arroyo was FULL OF RUN in the 7th race with Champchu but got stopped cold along the rail not once, but twice and yet no one has mentioned that yet.

I also felt like Pino's ride in the 1st race aboard Soulshine was heady. Soulshine had proven to be a hanger and Pino put him in the race and got him on the lead early.

shoelessjoe
02-24-2008, 07:36 AM
To use career victories is like saying Jack Nicklaus could beat Tiger Woods... I mean afterall, he has more major victories!

It doesnt matter where the victories came from only 15 jocks have accomplished this.

TravisVOX
02-24-2008, 09:38 AM
It doesnt matter where the victories came from only 15 jocks have accomplished this.

Would you bet the horse that has 15 wins against $5k claimers or the horse with 15 wins against $50k claimers?

cj's dad
02-24-2008, 11:22 AM
Not necessary. He rode a bad race, in my opinion. If you disagree, rather than throw out pointless attacks, tell us why.

I would think that as the track announcer @ LaD you have seen your share of really bad jockeys, and therefore I will defer to your expert opinion of bad jocks.

Mario had a bad race (in some minds- I did not see it and therefore have no input as to the quality of his ride) and is blasted.

As for the poster who said he should go back to Laurel- LP has been the training ground for the likes of Kent D. - Edgar P. - Julie K. and others.

BTW- The Big A is not exactly the Saratoga of winter racing.:lol:

AQUEBUCKS
02-24-2008, 12:13 PM
Comparing Kent Desormeaux/Edgar Prado to Mario Pino is like comparing Hillary Clinton to John F Kennedy

When the real racing starts in NY, Pino will no doubt be avoided like the Plague and mosey on back to where he belongs (Back to the Minor Leages)

Marshall Bennett
02-24-2008, 12:23 PM
Pino has a live mount in the 7th @ Aqueduct .. lets see what happens ??

exiles
02-24-2008, 02:12 PM
Comparing Kent Desormeaux/Edgar Prado to Mario Pino is like comparing Hillary Clinton to John F Kennedy

When the real racing starts in NY, Pino will no doubt be avoided like the Plague and mosey on back to where he belongs (Back to the Minor Leages)

Even Ramon Dominguez who is 10 times better than Pino desapears to DEL.

DanG
02-24-2008, 02:32 PM
From a rider / agent’s perspective; Delaware has an incredible purse to field size ratio. If a handicapper exploits weakness on a circuit they are called “clever”. When a rider does it their “disappearing”.

I don’t get it; not to mention keeping their families grounded and / or their children in the same school system.

toetoe
02-24-2008, 04:46 PM
So you're saying Jack "The Zipper" Kennedy was some kind of statesman for the ages, and a sweet humanitarian ? Let me just say ... :bang: .

onefast99
02-24-2008, 04:57 PM
Really? Pino is my choice on our horses in NY and Dominguez when we run at Delaware or Rose. Love em all they can have a bad day also thats what seemed to have happened today. Give em a break they are human, and why all of a sudden do people quote Beyer?

onefast99
02-24-2008, 05:03 PM
[QUOTE=AQUEBUCKS]Comparing Kent Desormeaux/Edgar Prado to Mario Pino is like comparing Hillary Clinton to John F Kennedy

When the real racing starts in NY, Pino will no doubt be avoided like the Plague and mosey on back to where he belongs (Back to the Minor Leages)[/QUOTE
Think so? He may get used a lot if he does well. Nothing wrong with going back to the Maryland tracks he lives in Maryland he is also 51% in the money lifetime with an 18% win rate. He is one of 15 jocks to have ridden 6000 winners. I guess he really is a bad jock.:bang:

shoelessjoe
02-24-2008, 08:08 PM
I am not a Pino fan on the dirt but you have to give him credit for what he has accomplished no matter where he has done it.He is a very good turf jockey though.

Marshall Bennett
02-24-2008, 08:28 PM
I'm far from a jock expert . I would imagine 6000 wins ranks him beyond the ranks of an idiot . All of them have had bad moments . What sucks is when you bet against him and he beats you ... then your really mad .

Robert Fischer
02-24-2008, 08:30 PM
Ive heard some handicappers say "Pino just rides a horse a certain way now, and can't win any other way unless he has so much the best horse"

not sure if that is true. Shamefully I couldn't really name his style :blush: although he has a lot of wins at smaller tracks with favorites or near favorites.

I felt he botched some rides on Hard Spun in so far as timing things with a speed horse.

He isn't a bet against or "must include" jockey IMO. If he has the best horse, I wouldn't mind backing that horse, should the price be right.

firstofftheclaim
02-24-2008, 10:00 PM
The horse was FULL of run around the turn. He probably could have looped the field.

JPinMaryland
02-24-2008, 10:41 PM

This is not a very good analogy because both Woods and Nicklaus were/are considered the best of their era. If you want to start the argument by assuming Pino is the best one of his class. Then...I guess you've lost already huh?

Not a good analogy.. :ThmbDown:

TravisVOX
02-25-2008, 05:30 PM
This is not a very good analogy because both Woods and Nicklaus were/are considered the best of their era. If you want to start the argument by assuming Pino is the best one of his class. Then...I guess you've lost already huh?

Not a good analogy.. :ThmbDown:

The difference, however, is that in jockey colony world we have numerous smaller communities, whereas golf has one large community. Therefore, the analogy works from a statistical perspective not as much from a subject perspective. Substitute out the golfers names with any other similar correlation, and the analogy works out okay. :ThmbUp:

alysheba88
02-25-2008, 06:12 PM

Horrible analogy. Of course Jack Nicklaus could have beaten Tiger Woods. Plenty of lesser golfers have

JPinMaryland
02-25-2008, 11:25 PM
Yeah I dont see how anyone can be so certain Woods beats Nicklaus. They were both at the top of their game for certain periods. It remains to be seen how long WOods career will be, and at so far NIcklaus still has the career lead.

As for peak value, Nicklaus hit certain peaks that only lasted for a few years. E.g. the mid 60s and the early 70s periods. These periods didnt last for a long time but if you look at e.g. Byron Nelson, or Ben Hogan, or Sarazen or Palmer or anyone, their great periods didnt last for more than 2 or 3 years either.

It seems that Tiger is in a somewhat longer peak period, but if the past historical trends hold up he will not be this hot for much longer.

EIther way it doesnt tell us much about how dominant either was.

Maybe a MIchelle Wie analogy is in order?

cj's dad
02-26-2008, 06:10 PM
Ive heard some handicappers say "Pino just rides a horse a certain way now, and can't win any other way unless he has so much the best horse"

not sure if that is true. Shamefully I couldn't really name his style :blush: although he has a lot of wins at smaller tracks with favorites or near favorites.

I felt he botched some rides on Hard Spun in so far as timing things with a speed horse.

He isn't a bet against or "must include" jockey IMO. If he has the best horse, I wouldn't mind backing that horse, should the price be right.

A few years back, 15 ?, when I followed Md. religiously, Pino and Prado were the go to jocks. Mario was known as a good gate jockey and an above average turf rider. I am pretty sure that he and Prado married sisters (Luigi Gino's daughters) and are very close to one another. Mario has several children and yes as a poster said he does return to Md. quite often as his kids grew up here and have their roots here. I guess those 6000+ wins and the subsequent purse $$$ allows him to live wherever he wants.

NY BRED
02-26-2008, 06:31 PM
I'm amazed (unless I missed the press) of why Pino has taken a shot in NY
while risking his business in MD,especially when the main track soon opens, and
the regular "crew" will be returning within the next 45-60 days.

shoelessjoe
02-26-2008, 10:05 PM
Gino's other daughter is married to Alberto Delgado.Luigi wasnt a bad jock in his day he could really bust em out of the gate,that's way back when MD had a decent ridng colony .

CyberBet
02-27-2008, 12:03 PM
:lol:
Guys that are sitting on their rumps are "experts" that probably have never ridden a horse much less in traffic at full speed. You guys crack me up!!! Love ya!

And no I did not see the race. I don't need to, it reads as if the guys with bets on Pino lost and they are screaming bad ride, which it may have been. I would rather my jock try to find a hole up the rail than circle even ONE horse! Call me crazy!

As for Woods vs. Nicklaus

Woods would beat him like a red headed step child most days. But there would be days were Jack would crush Tiger. In the words of Chris Berman "That's why they play the games" Too bad we will never know.

2cents.

toetoe
02-27-2008, 03:07 PM
Say, Angelina Gino Pino. Thatsa HOT.

asH
02-27-2008, 03:08 PM
I'm amazed (unless I missed the press) of why Pino has taken a shot in NY
while risking his business in MD,especially when the main track soon opens, and
the regular "crew" will be returning within the next 45-60 days.

he wants to get back to the derby...

PaceAdvantage
02-28-2008, 03:17 AM
:lol:
Guys that are sitting on their rumps are "experts" that probably have never ridden a horse much less in traffic at full speed. You guys crack me up!!! Love ya!I suppose you say the same thing when your pals are dissecting the latest NFL, MLB, NHL, NBA, etc., etc. game....

Jockeys are fair game, and in fact, should probably be held to even more public scrutiny then they are currently....

cj's dad
02-28-2008, 03:55 AM
I suppose you say the same thing when your pals are dissecting the latest NFL, MLB, NHL, NBA, etc., etc. game....

Jockeys are fair game, and in fact, should probably be held to even more public scrutiny then they are currently....

I agree to a degree except that a high % of guys in the USA have played baseball, football, and b'ball and have some concept of what it takes to excel while probably < .1% have ridden an 1100 lb. t'bred in competition.

I for one have no clue as to difficult it must be. I do give these guys and gals high marks for their athleticism, strength, timing and above all else B--ls !

As for the public scrutiny, as I pointed out recently, there are no "beat writers" covering most tracks so who exactly is going to do the appraisal/criticism?

Pace Cap'n
02-28-2008, 09:08 AM
It might be good to consider that winning a race is at best a jock's third priority...

1) Don't get killed.

2) Don't get anyone else killed.

3) Now, let's see what we can do about this race.

DanG
02-28-2008, 09:16 AM
It might be good to consider that winning a race is at best a jock's third priority...

1) Don't get killed.

2) Don't get anyone else killed.

3) Now, let's see what we can do about this race.
As Jerry Bailey says he used to yell out when they were loaded in the gate…”This looks like a safe group” Obviously there were plenty of times when the opposite applied.

Unofficial tally on internet rider threads…

Negative: 14,937
Positive: N/A

shoelessjoe
03-02-2008, 09:00 AM
I dont think the people that bet Malibu Moonshine yesterday at Aqu are complaining about him.

Dahoss9698
03-02-2008, 09:15 AM
I dont think the people that bet Malibu Moonshine yesterday at Aqu are complaining about him.

This is a prime example of the ridiculousness on message boards. Why is it when someone complains about a certain ride, we get to hear the riders career stats and then anytime after it when the jock wins it gets brought back up. Pino had zero to do with Malibu Moonshine winning. The 2 speeds killed each other, Evening Attire didn't fire and Malibu Moonshine fell into the winners circle. He was an impossible horse coming into the race and even more impossible after. It was a case of yet another surprising Contessa winner that makes no sense. I'm reaching here, but I'm going to say Contessa was as surprised as anyone that the horse won yesterday. Pino winning that race is of no consequence to what this thread is about.

The Bit
03-02-2008, 10:45 AM
This thread was about him getting stuck on the rail right? Well yesterday he didn't get stuck on the rail and didn't do anything else that would cause defeat correct? Than I think the persons post is relevant.

AQUEBUCKS
03-02-2008, 10:52 AM
Any bets on how many races he wins at Saratoga/08

I'll say less than 5

shoelessjoe
03-02-2008, 11:12 AM
Da Hoss I think you got my point the thread is ridiculous to begin with.

Thanks The Bit for reading what the thread was about before you replied.

Dahoss9698
03-02-2008, 11:36 AM

I read the thread. I don't see how bringing up the fact that he won a race days later has anything to do with the ride this thread was about.

PaceAdvantage
03-04-2008, 02:41 PM
Yeah, it's just like with the CC Lopez thread.

Shockingly, if the jock in question happens to win another race EVER at ANY POINT in time AFTER a negative thread is written, that victory, in the minds of some, invalidates every salient point mentioned in said thread....

The Bit
03-04-2008, 04:19 PM

Are you breaking my stones?

From what I remember he got stopped on the rail with the horse that this thread was originally about?

Marshall Bennett
03-04-2008, 06:05 PM
A jockeys best chance of breaking out of a slump is to have a negative thread posted here . :cool:

the little guy
03-04-2008, 06:34 PM
Actually, from what I've seen, the best chance that a jockey sucks is to have someone praise him ( or her ) here.

bishlap
03-05-2008, 02:17 AM
overall, I think he's taken to NY quite nicely. I've been making money betting him, especially in my exotics. I respect A. Beyer, but, he's never ever been kind to "the PINHEADS."

shoelessjoe
03-29-2008, 12:34 PM
Talking about jockeys how about Vernon Bush riding at 123 lbs