PDA

View Full Version : Comma Delimited

BigJake
02-21-2008, 01:31 PM
I am downloading the single Date file from Brisnet with the suffix .drf. I use it in a software program, but I would like to have the information in a comma delimited excel format also. Is there anyway to do this? I have saved the file as a .CSV file but it pushes all of the information into column A. I'm I going to have use a different file? Am I just stupid and should know I can't do this? I figured this was the place to ask. Any help is appreciated.

Big Jake

DJofSD
02-21-2008, 01:43 PM
You're covering ground that others have already trodden. Please check the off topics forum. I believe the top poster on this board, Tom, has used the DATATRAN utility. Check for posts for more info about this BRIS supplied utility.

Also, you might have an easier go of it if you try using the spreadsheet program offereing by Sun systems that is a part of the Open Office suite. I've found those utilities highly compatible with the Micro Soft programs and the OO programs might be easier to use for the importation of CSV data.

Tom
02-21-2008, 02:08 PM
The drf file is already a comma file, but it has too many columns to input into Excel or Access - unless you have Excel 2007.

If you want to extract data from the drf file, to make several smaller files, you can use Infotran - FREE from Bris.

You write a simple program in a text file to list the field you want, then run the Infotran program - it extracts from your drf (source file) whatever your text file lists and puts it into a target file you name.

busseb
03-20-2008, 09:24 PM
Regarding downloading the data into Access or Excel - no can do because
the data file has too many columns -
but you can download the data into FileMaker Pro 8.5.

It has unlimited columns available and is easier to use for search
and output functions. It has a direct output of selected fields
directly into an Excel file or even a pdf file.

And the best part is you don't have to translate the Bris files -
other than unzip them - in any way before you import them.

ElPaso

Niko
03-20-2008, 10:19 PM
If you're a non technical person like myself I'd also recommend FileMaker Pro.
It's very intuitive to do the basics. You can quickly create outputs based on calculations or handicapping factors that you like and make it into a nice little report. Saves a ton of time.

I have yet to figure out how to do queries etc. That's still way beyond me.

Then you're probably better off with Jcapper, HSH, HTR etc. programs that already have it built in.

BIG49010
03-20-2008, 11:35 PM
You can download the multi file, it is cut into 4 parts so it will work in 255 column applications.

eqitec
03-21-2008, 07:12 PM
Also, with FilemakerPro you can send the data to an excel spreadsheet with ease. Or you can create a FilemakerPro database from an Excel spreadsheet.
If anyone needs help with FilemakerPro, you can find my contact information here:
http://www.protopage.com/rfelplst
Everything you see there was built using FilemakerPro.

EQUIPACE
04-01-2008, 01:54 AM
Suggestion... Get Excel 2007, or better yet if you can afford it... MS Office 2007... It's worth it... Will extract the file to the much needed extra columns... You still need to know what the field names are, and they are available from BRIS... Will save you a huge amount of time... I wouldnt play without it.
GOOD LUCK!
John
~żo

EQUIPACE
04-01-2008, 02:09 AM
It's been awhile since I've posted... Usually come around during derby season. I noticed Tom has only 2125 VCASH available... He's been making way too many token wagers... I have the full 3600... I guess I'll have to see where I'll be a few years from now when I get some VBALLS to bet... <SMILE>
John
~żo

formula_2002
04-01-2008, 06:52 AM
I am downloading the single Date file from Brisnet with the suffix .drf. I use it in a software program, but I would like to have the information in a comma delimited excel format also. Is there anyway to do this? I have saved the file as a .CSV file but it pushes all of the information into column A. I'm I going to have use a different file? Am I just stupid and should know I can't do this? I figured this was the place to ask. Any help is appreciated.

Big Jake
I use a Bris offered program, infotran.exe (http://www.bris.com/cgi-bin/dynamic.cgi?page=utils) to extract the data fields I want in both the .drf and xrd files and then merge all the extracted fields into one common data base

cj
04-01-2008, 07:26 AM
I use a Bris offered program, infotran.exe (http://www.bris.com/cgi-bin/dynamic.cgi?page=utils) to extract the data fields I want in both the .drf and xrd files and then merge all the extracted fields into one common data base

With Excel and Access 2007, you no longer need to do that anymore. You can just load them all.

raybo
04-25-2008, 02:57 AM
Regarding downloading the data into Access or Excel - no can do because
the data file has too many columns -
but you can download the data into FileMaker Pro 8.5.

It has unlimited columns available and is easier to use for search
and output functions. It has a direct output of selected fields
directly into an Excel file or even a pdf file.

And the best part is you don't have to translate the Bris files -
other than unzip them - in any way before you import them.

ElPaso

I use the Bris DRF single file format and extract every piece of data there that could have any use for handicapping for my Excel 2000 spreadsheet. I can't imagine needing more of the data than what I use.

Just because there are only 256 columns doesn't mean you can't put more in Excel. You just have to use your noggin when writing your Infotran control file. The spreadsheet you end up with has all the data you need in known locations so you can reference that data somewhere else in your spreadsheet. I import from Infotran to one set of cells and then reference those cells in another area of my spreadsheet(s).

If you want a copy of my Infotran Control File just message me and I'll gladly send it to you.

raybo
04-25-2008, 03:02 AM
The problem with Excel 2007, for me anyway, is in getting previously written macros to work. My fiance has it so I copied my Excel spreadsheet into it and then couldn't get my macros to work, there are way too many to redo. Almost 5 years of development on the automation end alone.

raybo
04-25-2008, 03:13 AM
I think the problem many people have when writing a handicapping spreadsheet is that they either have used Excel in business or try to use the examples given for those types of applications, where a column only contains data related to the column name. Like "Customers" or "Products" etc. I never used Excel in a business environment so I didn't write my spreadsheet like that. I began using Excel with handicapping in mind and designed it to look like the "Daily Racing Form". I was familiar with that publication so it only made sense to me to write my spreadsheet where the data looks like the DRF.

The only problem I ran into was in columns that contain dates. The formatting for those columns is tricky, but can be done.

BCOURTNEY
05-13-2008, 01:57 AM
The express version of SQL Server is also available from Microsoft and you can add a DTS wizard to data importing. This is also a nice option if you do not want the limits of an excel spreadsheet (65k rows) and you can store up to 4 Gigs per database.

Cheers.

raybo
05-13-2008, 05:01 PM
The express version of SQL Server is also available from Microsoft and you can add a DTS wizard to data importing. This is also a nice option if you do not want the limits of an excel spreadsheet (65k rows) and you can store up to 4 Gigs per database.

Cheers.

I assume you have to pay for SQL Server and then learn SQL in order to utilyze it. Many of us have Excel on our machines already and are very familiar with it's usage. I can see switching if what one wants is more database oriented, but for crunching numbers for daily handicapping, Excel works great.

BCOURTNEY
05-13-2008, 10:12 PM
I assume you have to pay for SQL Server and then learn SQL in order to utilyze it. Many of us have Excel on our machines already and are very familiar with it's usage. I can see switching if what one wants is more database oriented, but for crunching numbers for daily handicapping, Excel works great.

The express version is free. Learning TSQL statements is equivilent to learning some VBA for macros in Excel. It holds more data, thought might be of interest if someone has reached their space limit in rows or columns in Excel.
It also can import and export data from excel files using DTS.

BigJake
05-19-2008, 02:05 PM
I am looking for some help with writing macros. I had a VB class when I was in college so I am not completly helpless. I've haven't written many macros so I'd just like for someone willing to give me a little time to email me. I am using Infotran to get the .drf file into excel. I just need help from there. Thanks.

raybo
05-20-2008, 06:13 AM
I am looking for some help with writing macros. I had a VB class when I was in college so I am not completly helpless. I've haven't written many macros so I'd just like for someone willing to give me a little time to email me. I am using Infotran to get the .drf file into excel. I just need help from there. Thanks.

What is it you want the macro to do? If you just want to automate keystrokes and mouse movements, you don't have to know VB, just record them in macros and assign the macros to buttons (Tools/macros/record macro), then just start doing whatever you want to automate.

If you can't record what you're trying to do, let me know, I probably have the macro you need.

raybo
05-22-2008, 06:38 AM
Using VB buttons, you can record macros (or write them if needed), assign that macro to a button, then all you have to do is click the button and all the stuff you just recorded in the macro is done for you. I have buttons for getting each race on the card, for example, and putting it in another area of my spreadsheet for referencing, via formulas, in my main handicapping area. I have had to "write" a few macros for some things that couldn't be recorded in macros with the "record macro" function. Just let me know what you want to do and I'll send you the macros.

richrosa
05-22-2008, 08:09 AM
Pretty soon, I'm gonna guess sooner than later, this kind of data is going to become available in XML. I think that should make the job easier for the more advanced programmers, but it will render those comma delimited programs obsolete.

raybo
05-22-2008, 04:36 PM
Pretty soon, I'm gonna guess sooner than later, this kind of data is going to become available in XML. I think that should make the job easier for the more advanced programmers, but it will render those comma delimited programs obsolete.

So, what are you saying? The comma-delimited files from Bris, TSN, etc. will not be available? As long as I can get the data into my Excel spreadsheet in known cell locations, I'll keep using it. I have way too much time and sweat invested in my program to just junk it.

socantra
05-22-2008, 07:05 PM

A lot of so called "advanced programmers" have been predicting the demise of those clunky old comma delimited data files for as long as I can remember. I would recommend you not hold your breath. The number of people using those old obsolete files in one way or another is a rather extensive market to abandon.

raybo
05-24-2008, 06:04 AM
A lot of so called "advanced programmers" have been predicting the demise of those clunky old comma delimited data files for as long as I can remember. I would recommend you not hold your breath. The number of people using those old obsolete files in one way or another is a rather extensive market to abandon.

I agree. I don't think CSV files will be dumped in favor of anything else in the foreseeable future.

Tom
05-24-2008, 10:33 AM
It would be a dumb move.....I doubt very many who use them would ever move to the new format - most people's lives do not revolve around computers and still think they exist to make live easier. If it works for the only application you will ever use it for, why change? Invest time and money in new programs, learning curves, etc. to end up where you are now makes no sense.