PDA

View Full Version : Happens every year

46zilzal
02-21-2008, 12:14 PM
About this time every year, since I have followed the trek toward the Derby, we get the top ten list.

All of these precocious speed types are touted each year: Silent Screen, Favorite Trick, Bellamy Road, Snow Chief...the list goes on and on......... It is really interesting that most are telling you that 10 furlongs is out of range by their running style as they are maxed out speed types (not surprising given the breeder's penchant to get their clients a fast turn around for their investment).

Yet these continue to eat up the headlines....Until they are ALL tested at 9 furlongs, it is almost pure guess work as to finding who can apportion themselves over the projected distance.

cj
02-21-2008, 12:20 PM
Bellamy Road wasn't really touted until he tried 9 furlongs...and he actually ran very well in the Derby given his trip. He was only a narrow 5 to 2 favorite in the Wood over the infamous Going Wild.

Snow Chief won the Preakness two weeks later, and had that race been 10 furlongs, I hardly think the outcome was changing.

46zilzal
02-21-2008, 12:23 PM
Bellamy Road wasn't really touted until he tried 9 furlongs...and he actually ran very well in the Derby given his trip. He was only a narrow 5 to 2 favorite in the Wood over the infamous Going Wild.

Snow Chief won the Preakness two weeks later, and had that race been 10 furlongs, I hardly think the outcome was changing.
Many speed types handle Old Hill top with ease.

cj
02-21-2008, 12:24 PM
Many speed types handle Old Hill top with ease.

Pure myth, especially at 9.5 furlongs.

46zilzal
02-21-2008, 12:33 PM
Pure myth, especially at 9.5 furlongs.
That "myth" has promoted many an energy distribution failure two weeks earlier to a winner's circle photo having crab cakes.

cj
02-21-2008, 12:36 PM
That "myth" has promoted many an energy distribution failure two weeks earlier to a winner's circle photo having crab cakes.

This has more to do with the make up of the field than it does the surface. 20 horses or so equals tougher trips and lots more speed.

JPinMaryland
02-21-2008, 01:03 PM
I think Bellamy Road actually was injured in the derby if I am not mistaken. What odds did he finally go off at? I know he climbed at one pt to 3-1 or 7-2 which was irresitable to me. I think his line came down a little. Bandini hurt in the same race as well. Should have paid more attention to all the longshots and filled out more exotics. still did get Giacomo to show; a fun day for sure.