PDA

View Full Version : Beyer

karlskorner
02-21-2008, 11:32 AM
Interesting article by Beyer over on Equidaily.com. If someone would bring it over, won't wrap for me. Thanks

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/02/20/AR2008022002648.html

cj
02-21-2008, 11:46 AM
Best writer in the game, even semi-retired, for the bettor.

46zilzal
02-21-2008, 11:50 AM
Beyer is an original. How he ever thought Officer was the second coming has me still scratching my head.

boomman
02-21-2008, 11:51 AM
Interesting article by Beyer over on Equidaily.com. If someone would bring it over, won't wrap for me. Thanks

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/02/20/AR2008022002648.html

Andy is spot on! How the industry continues to allow this "fracturing" of signals is mind boggling! And what is even more baffling to me is what the hell was Oaklawn thinking joining Tracknet? Daruty can sit there and say this thing is going to be fixed, but most of us in the business certainly don't think it will as long as he's around...Hey Scott: As they say "time to put or shut up"!! :mad:

Boomer

cj
02-21-2008, 12:17 PM
Beyer is an original. How he ever thought Officer was the second coming has me still scratching my head.

Gee...ummm...great post, right on point.

cj
02-21-2008, 12:18 PM
Andy is spot on! How the industry continues to allow this "fracturing" of signals is mind boggling! And what is even more baffling to me is what the hell was Oaklawn thinking joining Tracknet? Daruty can sit there and say this thing is going to be fixed, but most of us in the business certainly don't think it will as long as he's around...Hey Scott: As they say "time to put or shut up"!! :mad:

Boomer

I return home in May 2008. I certainly hope I can bet all tracks at one site, but I have my doubts. Pissing off customers is never a great business plan, regardless of the merits of the rest of the plan.

russowen77
02-21-2008, 12:52 PM
I return home in May 2008. I certainly hope I can bet all tracks at one site, but I have my doubts. Pissing off customers is never a great business plan, regardless of the merits of the rest of the plan.

Lord, I miss living in Europe. I enjoyed the Liege market in your country especially. I hope your next assignment is to your liking.

NoCal Boy
02-21-2008, 12:54 PM
I am assuming the handles at Oaklawn have taken a hit downward being exclusive to TrackNet. Youbet was the #1 ADW for Oaklawn per the media guide. Now that Santa Anita is back, handles might take a further hit. It just makes no sense. As long as an ADW is willing to pay the 7-8% or whatever the reasonable going rate is for certain signals, they should get the signal. All win in that scenario. In retrospect, Oaklawn going to TrackNet might be the best thing that ever happened as its seemingly poorer performance should keep others from making the same mistake.

Ellis Park and Oaklawn. Two tracks out of the Churchill and Magna ownership sphere who have suffered handle declines being Tracknet exclusive.

karlskorner
02-21-2008, 12:54 PM
From another article over on Equibase a quote from an article. "You're not going to have racing surviving by people betting races. Those days are over.
We're in the gaming business now".

cj
02-21-2008, 01:09 PM
That will only last until politicians decide they don't need race tracks to run a slots parlor.

russowen77
02-21-2008, 01:29 PM
I am assuming the handles at Oaklawn have taken a hit downward being exclusive to TrackNet. Youbet was the #1 ADW for Oaklawn per the media guide. Now that Santa Anita is back, handles might take a further hit. It just makes no sense. As long as an ADW is willing to pay the 7-8% or whatever the reasonable going rate is for certain signals, they should get the signal. All win in that scenario. In retrospect, Oaklawn going to TrackNet might be the best thing that ever happened as its seemingly poorer performance should keep others from making the same mistake.

Ellis Park and Oaklawn. Two tracks out of the Churchill and Magna ownership sphere who have suffered handle declines being Tracknet exclusive.
OP makes some strange decisions. We were supposed to get better purses because of the slots but that is not happening really. Jones has already stated he is pulling out and others will probably follow. Our jockey colony is the worst that I can ever remember. I hope a lot of what they are doing is being watched by other tracks and Not emulated.

I guess we will keep racing here but all the expansion I have heard about is for the slots.

john del riccio
02-21-2008, 01:45 PM
OP makes some strange decisions. We were supposed to get better purses because of the slots but that is not happening really. Jones has already stated he is pulling out and others will probably follow. Our jockey colony is the worst that I can ever remember. I hope a lot of what they are doing is being watched by other tracks and Not emulated.

I guess we will keep racing here but all the expansion I have heard about is for the slots.

I beleive jones heads to DEL, they are close to opening for training....

John

Cratos
02-21-2008, 02:15 PM

An excellent article by Andy that gives a general overview of what is wrong with the horse industry today and an implied forecast of what will happen if changes are not made.

Kelso
02-21-2008, 03:53 PM
We're in the gaming business now".

And with that you've seen the future, Karl. Owners of race tracks and race horses are now in position to say "screw the horse players - and make room for that next busload of slot players."

Kelso
02-21-2008, 03:56 PM
OP makes some strange decisions. We were supposed to get better purses because of the slots but that is not happening really.

Nothing promised about lower takeout? Typical.

Fastracehorse
02-21-2008, 04:28 PM

"Horseplayers never expect much of the racing industry, which is usually indifferent to the needs and desires of the betting public. But even the most hardened bettors have been angered and bewildered by the sport's latest effort to alienate customers. To them, it appears that the industry's leaders got together behind closed doors and agreed on this strategy: "Let's make it as inconvenient as possible for our fans to place a bet.""

The above is true.

Northlands Park stopped delivering DRF to OTB's - highly inconvenient and uneccesssary. I was whining about this last summer.

I phoned across the land. A friend of mine made a deal with them and he does it now. The GM at Northlands was shocked to learn he lost the distribution rights - now he's whining.

fffastt

The Bit
02-22-2008, 03:57 PM
Good article and all true.