PDA

View Full Version : Fred Capossela Stakes

Norm
02-19-2008, 03:16 AM
Today at Aqueduct they ran the Fred Capossela Stakes. The race is a fine tribute to one of the all-time great race callers (and my personal favorite.) I was scanning the race chart and what caught my eye was that this was the 107th running of the race ! Hmmm ... O.K., so I put my best handicapping skills to work and concluded that the race must have been first run in 1901. Thinking that maybe, just maybe, somebody committed a typo, I surfed over to the NYRA website where I read the article posted about the race and sure 'nuf, the NYRA said it was the 107th running. I am now in awe of the foresight of the New York racing establishment for dedicating this race to Mr. Capossela two years before he was born !

BillW
02-19-2008, 03:19 AM
It was a renamed race. :)

PaceAdvantage
02-19-2008, 03:22 AM
Well, it was originally named the Swift Stakes, which was first run in 1901. But, they changed the name, obviously, to honor the late, great race caller.

This happens all the time with renamed races. For instance, the Go For Wand will enjoy its 55th running this year at Saratoga.....

I know, it's kind of odd....

DanG
02-19-2008, 08:05 AM
Speaking of odd…

Like naming a grade II sprint after the late Alfred G. Vanderbilt (previously the 'A Phenomenon) who never bred an animal who could run under 9 miles! :faint:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfred_G._Vanderbilt_Handicap

cj
02-19-2008, 08:55 AM
Speaking of odd…

Like naming a grade II sprint after the late Alfred G. Vanderbilt (previously the 'A Phenomenon) who never bred an animal who could run under 9 miles! :faint:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfred_G._Vanderbilt_Handicap

Add the Man O' War being a turf race.

Norm
02-19-2008, 10:01 PM
Well, it was originally named the Swift Stakes, which was first run in 1901. But, they changed the name, obviously, to honor the late, great race caller.

This happens all the time with renamed races. For instance, the Go For Wand will enjoy its 55th running this year at Saratoga.....

Thanks for updating me on that. I was wondering what happened to the Swift Stakes, a long-time fixture on the calendar. It must be really hard to be a racing historian. It does seem a pity though, that Mr. Capossela couldn't have his own race, but, I guess recycling is the politically correct thing to do. :rolleyes: