PDA

View Full Version : "Tomorrow's Another Day".

Teach
02-17-2008, 07:39 PM
Both my late parents had their "pet" expressions. They’d constantly bombard either my brother or me, or both of us, with: "When the going gets tough; the tough get going." Or: "Anything worth doing is worth doing well." Yet, the expression that I think about most these days is: "Tomorrow’s another day."

Yes, forum members, "Tomorrow is another day." How often have I neglected my parents well-spoken counsel, especially when it came to playing the ponies. Some of the biggest mistakes I’ve made in playing the horses is my decision not to back away when things aren't going well. Instead, I've often engaged in two-fisted, ill-advised betting practices.

I’ll speak for myself (yet it may apply to other forum members, as well) when I say I wish I had a dollar for every time I’ve tried to play what I call: "Giddy-up Catch-up" when I fall behind.

Personally, I usually have a game-plan when I play the horses. I bet certain races; I avoid others. I bet exactas or gimmicks in some; flat bets in others. It all depends...

Yet, how many times – I could kick myself – have I let my emotions get the best of me and deviated from my well-constructed approach. Call it panic. Give any term you wish to it. I just get this sudden urge to recoup; to put myself back where I was – only in a hurried fashion. Unfortunately, more often than not, this results in more damage.

How many times have I cursed myself and the TV screen, for that matter, for my rash behavior. I sit there stewing. I’m rueing the fact that I hadn’t kept my wits about me. Ouch!

Yes, my parents were right: "Tomorrow is another day." Yes, in life; but also at the racetrack or it home when it comes to playing the horses.