PDA

View Full Version : Why did I fail today as a Handicapper

rcknhrse
02-16-2008, 09:50 PM
After a horrible first bet yesterday i made a nice comeback and doubled my initial bankroll.

Today after working 8 hours outside doing site work at the Gaylord Int Convetion Center And Resort,I got home and proceeded to lose my bank.
I got stuck on 1 kind of horse instead of doing my ususal through job of looking at EP,LP SPEED FIGS ,QS POINTS AND TRAINER %.
Now a couple of those bets today won but the majority lost.
Had i stuck with my usual method i would have dug out 2 very good longshots at Tampa.
Did not happen
So now instead of a day off its off to work tomorrow so i can get a bank to work with next weekend
The pic is 1 view of the Wilson Bridge from where i am working

BillW
02-16-2008, 10:11 PM
Here's hoping you never get into bridge jumping! :eek:

MAGICHORSEMAN
02-16-2008, 10:12 PM
Make sure you use good sound judgement and money management. Don't bet all day trying to cash on a favorite. Make sure you get some real value.

njcurveball
02-16-2008, 10:31 PM
So now instead of a day off its off to work tomorrow so i can get a bank to work with next weekend

Read this part again when you wake up. Your thinking is based on DAILY accounting.

My first suggestion is to work as many days at possible at your "day job". While doing that allocate 10% to your track bankroll. This may be too much, but I am reading you currently allocate 100%.

My second suggestion is to scale your bets down, WAY DOWN.

And my third boring one is to keep records of the usual stuff. Bet, track, distance, surface, class, etc.

My fourth and final one is to add another column or two on how you were feeling when you made the bet and WHY you made it.

For example, you might write something like " I am losing big today, so I am just going to try to put all my money into this Superfecta".

NOT trying to be a wise guy here. We ALL make mistakes. I made a Superfecta bet last night while on the phone with my girlfriend. Good handicapping, poor bet structure for me there and it cost me big. NOT an excuse, but just a note to myself to not make decisions while on the phone.

Jim

Premier Turf Club
02-16-2008, 11:19 PM
We ALL make mistakes. I made a Superfecta bet last night while on the phone with my girlfriend. Good handicapping, poor bet structure for me there and it cost me big. NOT an excuse, but just a note to myself to not make decisions while on the phone.Jim

Hope she made it up to you later on. ;)

dav4463
02-17-2008, 01:29 AM
I punched the wrong number in on a race yesterday and couldn't get back in to bet the horse in time.

Of course, he romped home and paid $25.60 ! :mad:

shanta
02-17-2008, 10:42 AM
Read this part again when you wake up. Your thinking is based on DAILY accounting.

My first suggestion is to work as many days at possible at your "day job". While doing that allocate 10% to your track bankroll. This may be too much, but I am reading you currently allocate 100%.

And my third boring one is to keep records of the usual stuff. Bet, track, distance, surface, class, etc.

My fourth and final one is to add another column or two on how you were feeling when you made the bet and WHY you made it.

For example, you might write something like " I am losing big today, so I am just going to try to put all my money into this Superfecta".
Jim

Excellent post Jim :ThmbUp:

rcknhrse
02-17-2008, 03:07 PM
Here's hoping you never get into bridge jumping! :eek:
You win the prize for picking up why I posted that pic.
I know its never that bad but with that bridge in my sites everyday
the thought has passed my mind .
Good luck to every one today.
But be care full .This is the sky i was looking at this morning at work.

riskman
02-17-2008, 11:43 PM

Jim

One of the best kepts secrets in the universe is, "We become what we think about". Just as thoughts influence behavior, behavior influences thoughts.Act like the person you want to become and you will think like him. As Jim says,you must have specific goals and a plan to achieve them.One must take full responsibility for what happens to us.Accurate records will let you know where we stand, in relation to our goals. Intelligent wagering and good money management is a MUST.

cmoore
02-18-2008, 03:19 PM
Very good post NJCB...Especially the part about how your feeling at the time u made the bet..I've noticed some days that I look forward to the races. Other days I'm not really into it. Also fatigue, hunger,stress, financial situation all relate to how your betting. I've taken a break from horse
racing. I felt like I was getting burned out and making bad decisions. I'll get back to it shortly.

NOT trying to be a wise guy here. We ALL make mistakes. I made a Superfecta bet last night while on the phone with my girlfriend. Good handicapping, poor bet structure for me there and it cost me big. NOT an excuse, but just a note to myself to not make decisions while on the phone.

Jim

toetoe
02-18-2008, 05:57 PM
njcurve,

EXCELLENT strategy. Write your rationale down (HONESTLY), and you will have taken a huge step. We all abandon borderline plays sometimes, and feel relieved afterward, but making it official WHY we're risking our dough on 3-y-o MCL statebreds is a great idea. :ThmbUp: