PDA

View Full Version : Phoenix Gold Cup

toetoe
02-16-2008, 12:21 PM
At a low price, Idiot Proof is in deep doo-doo. If Sailors Sunset were his only worry, he would still have a tough time, but this field is loaded. Trail This has a huge shot, of course, and Tribesman (4/1) is very scary. My bet-back special is Ducky Drake. He was whipped by TT last time, but he made a HUGE move and flattened out, still getting second. If he forestalls his move, he may be able to benefit from a speed meltdown. Only 4/1 on the line, but I predict his price will be double digits. Get it ? Toe, toe, double digits ??
:D . No wait, on second thought ... :bang: . Sometimes, I'm so arch.

Indulto
02-16-2008, 02:32 PM
At a low price, Idiot Proof is in deep doo-doo. If Sailors Sunset were his only worry, he would still have a tough time, but this field is loaded. Trail This has a huge shot, of course, and Tribesman (4/1) is very scary. My bet-back special is Ducky Drake. He was whipped by TT last time, but he made a HUGE move and flattened out, still getting second. If he forestalls his move, he may be able to benefit from a speed meltdown. Only 4/1 on the line, but I predict his price will be double digits. Get it ? Toe, toe, double digits ??
:D . No wait, on second thought ... :bang: . Sometimes, I'm so arch.Apparently, alliterators abound in Arizona; perfect for horse handle hunch bettors and Humpback whales. ;)

In a prior Gold Cup renewal at Phoenix's 'Paradise, Bob Bone's speedy sprinter, Relato Del Gato, never looked back at another stellar shipper, but that false favorite lacked the class credentials of the illustrious performer, Idiot Proof (out of Perfectly Pretty).

So selecting alliteratively rather than figuratively may yield an Awesome Again or a Sunday Silence, but more likely there's a Peter Principle involved here -- it's called taking a shot like Pistol Pete.

As we say in the SF valley, you are toe-tally awesome, two-toes. I don't doubt you'll deliver a double digit Derby winner; I just wonder when. :lol:

falconridge
02-16-2008, 02:35 PM
My bet-back special is Ducky Drake.
You love Ducky Drake, do you? :blush: Well, he loves you right back! :kiss: :D

[singing:]
Why do they think up stories that link my name with yours?
Why do the neighbors gossip all day behind their doors?
I know a way to prove what they say is quite untrue.
Here is the gist, a practical list of "don'ts" for you. ...

Don't praise my charm too much.
Don't look so vain with me.
Don't stand in the rain with me--
People will say ... [y'know ;)] :faint:

cj
02-16-2008, 02:49 PM
Only two horses can win this race...Tribesman and Idiot Proof. Tribesman needs to like real dirt like he loved Tapeta. I don't see any of the others beating IP.

toetoe
02-16-2008, 02:51 PM
... in my previous life as a real estate henchman, I did so many open houses so well, it precipitated the bestowal upon me of the "Golden Shower" award.

As to Relato del Bono's win last year, Indulgent One, that "undeserving" favorite was the very Sailor's Sunset (entered today), whom I compared favorably to Idiot Proof. Indeed, I believe him to be Idiot Proofproof. SS broke last and actually got up for the place dough from WAY back.

juanepstein
02-16-2008, 03:11 PM
find a price

TURF PARADISE HANDICAP

#7 RUNNING FREE- 12/1 with Wilson Dieguez aboard.

have to respect this horse and its trainer.

toetoe
02-16-2008, 03:14 PM
cj,

Just curious, but how much does the New Jersey race last year play into it ? Would you say on dirt OR Astrodirt, IP is just too fast ? Cuz much as I liked him as a "longshot" in the BC, I tell myself he may not be a topnotch graded sprinter. Then again, you may think the others are just so-so. I myself think we have a fieldful of G Malleahs this year. Wait, that's a GOOD thing, right ? Oh please, answer do.

cj
02-16-2008, 03:22 PM
I just think he is far superior on natural dirt than he is on synthetic. I have his last three on dirt at 112, 112, and 106. No other horse, save Tribesman, has over a 102 in their last 10. Tribesman shows a 104 in his last dirt race.

Answer Do is one of my favorite horses.

toetoe
02-16-2008, 03:38 PM
Mine, too. AND he had the taste of ... Lyman. :eek:

toetoe
02-16-2008, 03:40 PM
Running Free is a nice lttle Ca.-bred, Juanito. A sweet little 75%-stakes pick-four is on tap.

Tee
02-16-2008, 05:43 PM
Sailor's Sunset looks good approaching the gate.

toetoe
02-16-2008, 05:45 PM
17/1 on DD. Up up up.

toetoe
02-16-2008, 05:47 PM
Sailor's Sunset ALMOST gets up for 2nd again.

Tee
02-16-2008, 05:49 PM
Objection!!

Should be overruled.

njcurveball
02-16-2008, 05:57 PM
At a low price, Idiot Proof is in deep doo-doo. If Sailors Sunset were his only worry, he would still have a tough time, but this field is loaded. Trail This has a huge shot, of course, and Tribesman (4/1) is very scary. My bet-back special is Ducky Drake.

You pretty much nailed the Super here! Nice job! :ThmbUp:

$2 SPR (3/6/8/4) paid $857.60

toetoe
02-16-2008, 06:09 PM
I tried to figure a woulda/coulda. I figured 3,8,9/3,6,7,8,9 and that's $72. Now, the worst case that could still cash for me actually resulted. The lowest price second, and the worst finish for DD. So, as a sorta-almost-worst-case scenario, not bad.

cj had them pegged, and the folks did not let Tribesman get away. $8.80 to win. :cool: