PDA

View Full Version : Vernon Downs-Tioga closing

JustRalph
02-09-2008, 01:35 AM
I spent a couple of days at Vernon Downs last spring. I was on a fishing trip at Lake Oneida and the rain drove us off the lake. So we hit Vernon Downs and had a great time.

They had a very nice Simulcast area..........damn shame.

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080207/NEWS01/802070350/1002/NEWS

February 7, 2008

Owner to shut harness racetracks

Joseph Spector
Albany Bureau
ALBANY — The owner of Vernon Downs and Tioga Downs racetracks said Wednesday he will shut down the tracks after an Assembly panel this week rejected a plan to increase revenue to the ailing harness tracks.

Jeff Gural, chairman of American Racing, said he will close Vernon on Monday and Tioga at the end of the month after an Assembly committee shot down a proposal to increase the split of revenue from video-lottery terminals that smaller harness tracks receive from the state.

"I should have closed long ago," Gural said. He has said the tracks lose about $1 million a month.

A state Lottery spokesman said late Wednesday they were notified that Vernon Downs will close at 1 p.m. Monday. The state Lottery, which owns the terminals, is exploring its options because legally the state could operate the machines, said spokesman John Charlson.

~more at the link~