02-07-2008, 02:33 PM
Have they done anything on the track besides looking at it yet?:rolleyes:

46zilzal
02-07-2008, 04:00 PM
Santa Anita official uncertain about Friday racing

By Steve Andersen
Daily Racing Form
February 7, 2008

ARCADIA, Calif. -- Santa Anita president Ron Charles said he was "guarded" about whether racing could resume on Friday, saying that track maintenance crews may need that day to complete a renovation project to improve drainage of the Cushion Track.

Charles said he will make a decision on Friday's program after talking with Ian Pearse, the Australian track consultant and founder of the Pro-Ride synthetic surface, who is working with Santa Anita officials on the renovation. The project consists of adding polymers and fibers to the one-mile main track.

"I am guarded because what I don't want to do is push Ian into racing on a surface that he isn't totally comfortable is the best surface he can give us," Charles said. "We want a surface the industry will embrace. I don't want to push it. He's certain we'll race Saturday and Sunday, and he's a little apprehensive about Friday."

Marshall Bennett
02-07-2008, 04:09 PM
Does this mean they'll be skipping along on concrete again soon ? Seems to be either fast or famine !!

Javagold
02-07-2008, 05:50 PM
but the good news is, they have the Breeders Cup there for the next 2 years in a row :bang:

Marshall Bennett
02-07-2008, 06:03 PM
but the good news is, they have the Breeders Cup there for the next 2 years in a row :bang:
Hope it doesn't rain !!!

jk3521
02-07-2008, 07:54 PM
One day they will postpone a race half way around the track to finish it the next day :lol:

NY BRED
02-07-2008, 10:51 PM
the scary thought is this track will host the Breeders Cup this year.

Perhaps they can use the Big A on 2/13/08 if Mr.Bruno wins
his battle..

Bruddah
02-07-2008, 11:05 PM
after they race on Saturday. They will need the extra time to be ready for the BC in October. :liar: :D

so.cal.fan
02-07-2008, 11:28 PM
I was over there this afternoon.......the material they are putting on the track looks like ashes you would find in your BBQ. The color of the surface was dark grey.
I've never seen that color or texture on a racetrack.
I suppose they are going to grind it down?
Take a look at their website cam. www.santaanita.com
You'll see lights on, they have several rented trucks with lights, they will be working all night.
I heard that some horses will be galloping on it tomorrow.....to check it out.
This stuff has only ever been tested on an Australian training track!
It's anyone's guess what will be the result. I guess we can hope for the best, prepare for the worst and maybe, just maybe if we are lucky.....we'll get somewhere in between at least???? :confused:

BigJake
02-08-2008, 12:00 AM
I don't know that much about different poly surfaces, but Turfway handles wind, rain, snow, tornado, and any other thing that comes its way. Maybe they ought to look in the bluegrass state for answers instead of the Aussies.

"I'm Big Jake. That's my opinion. It oughta be yours."

Bruddah
02-08-2008, 06:26 AM
I don't know that much about different poly surfaces, but Turfway handles wind, rain, snow, tornado, and any other thing that comes its way. Maybe they ought to look in the bluegrass state for answers instead of the Aussies.

I want you to know, I am on your side :)

However, Big Jake, if the poly is so exceptional in Kentucky, why does Turfway continue to miss days. They miss just as many, or more, race days due to cold, as they did when they used "real dirt".

Plain and simple, any kind of artificial surface is Bull Cr*p.

I am little bruddah and everyone should wake up and smell the roses. :bang:

so.cal.fan
02-08-2008, 10:24 AM
From what I have read from people on this board and other media sources....this stuff WEARS OUT. That is going to be the problem.
I hope our track turns out okay, but I am not really optimistic.

tholl
02-08-2008, 12:01 PM
[QUOTE=Bruddah]I want you to know, I am on your side :)

However, Big Jake, if the poly is so exceptional in Kentucky, why does Turfway continue to miss days. They miss just as many, or more, race days due to cold, as they did when they used "real dirt".

QUOTE]

That's not true at all. If this was the old dirt track at Turfway many more days would have been lost with the changing temps causing the track to freeze and thaw. This was the problem in the past which has been eliminated by polytrack. Sure, a few days have been lost this year---but thats due to the riders not wanting to ride (and who can blame them) and trainers not wanting to run their horses in dangerously cold conditions--nothing to do with the track surface.

theratpac
02-08-2008, 12:36 PM
The Powers to be have everything under control. They have brought in a Aussie to re-do the track. Hoy Hoy Hoy Aussie Aussie Aussie

David-LV
02-08-2008, 05:38 PM

I hope the jockeys at Turfway have good health insurance because they need it.

It looks like they are riding in a sand storm and getting blasted by that surface race in and race out.

The horses are ducking in or ducking out trying to get away from the tremendous kickback.

Is this real horse racing ? I don't think so.

I wonder what the condition of the jockeys lungs are by now ?

I know they ride by choice, but the poor horses have no choice in breathing in that junk.

To get back on topic of Santa Anita, what are they going to do if or when this new junk that they are patching up the track with does not work ?

Let us bring back the dirt and end all this experimentation and get back to real racing as we know it.

________
David

dinasdesire
02-09-2008, 09:27 PM
I just got home from S.A. , The track has what looks like housing insulation mixed into the already interesting slurry and the oil refinery smell is headache inducing . ;)

rgustafson
02-09-2008, 09:42 PM
I just got home from S.A. , The track has what looks like housing insulation mixed into the already interesting slurry and the oil refinery smell is headache inducing . ;)
Let's all guess, did you win or lose?;)

RXB
02-09-2008, 10:00 PM
I hope the jockeys at Turfway have good health insurance because they need it.

It looks like they are riding in a sand storm and getting blasted by that surface race in and race out.

The horses are ducking in or ducking out trying to get away from the tremendous kickback.

Is this real horse racing ? I don't think so.

I wonder what the condition of the jockeys lungs are by now ?

I know they ride by choice, but the poor horses have no choice in breathing in that junk.

To get back on topic of Santa Anita, what are they going to do if or when this new junk that they are patching up the track with does not work ?

Let us bring back the dirt and end all this experimentation and get back to real racing as we know it.

________
David

Still losing, eh?

"Real racing" at TP involved horses snapping their legs at an alarming rate, stones flying at horses and jockeys from the crappy surface... and since you brought up the health of jockeys, has the ghost of Mike Rowland paid you a visit yet?

But hey, don't let the facts get in the way of your rant.

PaceAdvantage
02-10-2008, 01:30 AM
Still losing, eh?Juvenile responses like this don't earn your opinions much credibility.

It should be duly noted in every playbook that the "still losing on polytrack?" comeback is weak and ineffective when examined with more than a cursory glance.

Losing or winning has nothing to do with it. As already explained, a winning handicapper can win on ANY surface....dirt...turf...polytrack....

In fact, I would venture a guess that right now, polytrack might be the MOST profitable surface for those willing to put in the work.

But, then again, winning or losing was never the point of this argument, at least for those arguing against the rush to mass-install this stuff.

JustRalph
02-10-2008, 02:05 AM
Juvenile responses like this don't earn your opinions much credibility.

It should be duly noted in every playbook that the "still losing on polytrack?" comeback is weak and ineffective when examined with more than a cursory glance.

Losing or winning has nothing to do with it. As already explained, a winning handicapper can win on ANY surface....dirt...turf...polytrack....

In fact, I would venture a guess that right now, polytrack might be the MOST profitable surface for those willing to put in the work.

But, then again, winning or losing was never the point of this argument, at least for those arguing against the rush to mass-install this stuff.

It took me a while to get a handle on it. But I realized lately that I was making too many adjustments. I actually decided to play Santa Anita today and did very well, making very few adjustments. I think the track is much different than it was a couple weeks back............at least it was today. I think the advantage that raw speed had a month back, was gone today. Played fair I believe. Who the hell knows what it will be like tomorrow or after the first rainstorm. But today made up for some bad days a few weeks back. All in all? Fair I guess.

kenwoodallpromos
02-10-2008, 11:43 AM
"It looks like they are riding in a sand storm and getting blasted by that surface race in and race out."
If the particles rising are as small as sand, I do not understand why a little more watering will not work at TP.

jma
02-10-2008, 12:13 PM
"It looks like they are riding in a sand storm and getting blasted by that surface race in and race out."
If the particles rising are as small as sand, I do not understand why a little more watering will not work at TP.

Because even though they're the size of sand particles, they aren't particles of sand.

Jayhawk Fan
02-10-2008, 12:38 PM
I don't really follow SoCal racing, but why did Santa Anita every consider putting in PolyTrack? I know the state made a mandate that the big 3 put it in, but they were considering it before the mandate. Only Hollywood Park really ever had a problem gettting decent sized fields. Polytrack should only be used to train on in my opinion.