PDA

View Full Version : "Don't Fire Till You See The Whites Of Their Eyes!"

Teach
02-06-2008, 09:43 AM
As a former social studies teacher, I often see parallels between history and handicapping. History and handicapping! Sounds like apples and oranges. But wait.

Many of you, I'm sure, recall the quote attributed to Col. William Prescott at the Battle of Bunker Hill:"Don't Fire Till You See The Whites Of Their Eyes!"

Well, the same can be said for handicapping the horses at the track.

You've studied the DRF. You've downloaded all the information you can. You have -- after much studying -- come up with one or two races that look like solid plays. Races, as I call them, that are: WOI ("Worthy of Investment").

Yet, human nature being what is it -- you get "antsy." The races you want to play are an hour or so away. There's the daily double; maybe a perfecta or two. You fire away --- prematurely (this is horse racing, remember).

Well, when it comes time for the races you had intended to load up on, your
ammunition is depleted. You don't have the resources you had at the beginning of the day.

Yes, as I look back to that initial major battle of the Revolutionary War, Col. Prescott's admonition was well taken. I can hear him now: "Steady men, Steady. Don't waste your gunpowder. Wait until you can see 'the Lobster Backs' (British Redcoats) at close range. Don't Fire Till You See The Whites Of Their Eyes!"

Col. Prescott's advice was as true during the Revolutionary War as it is today.
in battle, and -- in handicapping the horses.

As British General Henry Clinton would later admit as he prepared to evacuate Boston for Halifax, NS that following spring: "It was a dear bought victory (Bunker Hill), another such would have ruined us."

Robert Fischer
02-19-2008, 10:01 PM
you're the best

JPinMaryland
02-19-2008, 10:36 PM
It was general Howe that evacuated Boston. I dont think Clinton was there although it is possible. He would have been junior under Howe.

Bunker Hill was not the initial battle of the Revolution and I really doubt that quote too. It may date to the time of Pyrus.

JPinMaryland
02-20-2008, 11:35 AM
Wellington is said to be the source of the quote after the battle of Albuera

http://www.britishbattles.com/peninsula/Albuera.htm

another source says Villars said something like this to Louis XIV. The quote goes back a long way. I have not heard it in connection with Bunker Hill although it would be appropriate...