PDA

View Full Version : You don't see too many like this one

46zilzal
02-05-2008, 09:29 PM
zZFr6N2lNY4

I hadn't recalled it being this good.

One of the gutsiest performances on the lead, considering the distance, I recall, ever seeing.

jognlope
02-05-2008, 09:44 PM
Except that now I have to keep myself from crying. First time I've seen Exceller run. God keep him.

jonnielu
02-05-2008, 09:47 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZFr6N2lNY4

One of the gutsiest performances on the lead, considering the distance, I recall, ever seeing.

Every pace man should watch this race 100 times, and consider the fractions that Exceller chased down. Exceller is the horse that every wagering man is looking for. There is no better example of class in a race horse. His death is a great shame.
jdl

JustRalph
02-05-2008, 09:48 PM
Wow! I have never seen that before. Incredible fractions.

Seattle Slew..........what incredible efffort he gave............

Thanks for the link

Zaf
02-05-2008, 09:56 PM
Zil,

Thanks for posting that :ThmbUp:

Z

Cangamble
02-05-2008, 10:05 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZFr6N2lNY4

It was amazing that Exceller didn't win by 3. What a great race by Seattle Slew.

added money
02-05-2008, 10:31 PM
Thanks, great video. In that race, Life's Hope solidified his claim to "Most Ineffective Rabbit" of all time. Or was it "Most Unnecessary...?"

kid4rilla
02-05-2008, 10:40 PM
I'd never seen an SS race. Wow. Nothing against Ex, but this gambler's looking for another SS.

Greyfox
02-05-2008, 10:53 PM
:ThmbUp: 46Zil,

Of course we don't always agree, but there is something very agreable about your posts, although others may not see that.... even the ones when you look down your nose and snub off who you consider to be trifles.
A great race that you have posted. Thank you. :ThmbUp:

JustRalph
02-05-2008, 11:10 PM
I'd never seen an SS race. Wow. Nothing against Ex, but this gambler's looking for another SS.

He was a great sire too.............

46zilzal
02-05-2008, 11:51 PM
Another that was great. I have the photo from this and the two are so close at the end that you have to hunt UP CLOSE to see the larger outline of Easy Goer inside. Watch the way Pat Day puts Valenzuela in a blind switch near the far turn.

oSaQPrMS0RQ

46zilzal
02-05-2008, 11:59 PM
One of the very first races I videotaped many moons ago. Laffit said afterward: "He is tougher than a 5 cent steak. I don't know why they try. They'll never beat him."

berN2tnAlkk

a former contest.

RBHczmcKS5M

RXB
02-06-2008, 12:45 AM
Every pace man should watch this race 100 times, and consider the fractions that Exceller chased down. Exceller is the horse that every wagering man is looking for. There is no better example of class in a race horse. His death is a great shame.
jdl

Every pace man should watch this race 100 times, and consider the fractions that Slew set. And then consider that he came back after appearing hopelessly beaten and lost only by a nose.

Exceller was a fine animal, but it is Seattle Slew who is the star of this show, even in defeat. Everything set up perfectly for Exceller and brutally for Slew.

Leftcoast
02-06-2008, 02:55 AM
These are all shhh-weeet! :)

It's been a long time since I saw the 78 JCGC. Slew deserves all the credit he's ever received for trying to come back, after those early fractions and Exceller catching him - a lesser horse would have hung.

89 Preakness - Day's great move along the turn to box-in Sunday Silence should have been enough. But then he threw it away by turning Easy Goer's head towards SS "so he could see the other horse" - wouldn't that throw him off-stride?

Cheers,
Leftcoast

asH
02-06-2008, 03:28 AM
My all time best race, the heart of Seattle Slew 22, 45.1, 1:09

1:33, 2:01

still got goose bumps
asH

john del riccio
02-06-2008, 05:32 AM
zZFr6N2lNY4

They don't make em' like that anymore.

Thanks for posting it.

John

jonnielu
02-06-2008, 07:21 AM
Every pace man should watch this race 100 times, and consider the fractions that Slew set. And then consider that he came back after appearing hopelessly beaten and lost only by a nose.

Exceller was a fine animal, but it is Seattle Slew who is the star of this show, even in defeat. Everything set up perfectly for Exceller and brutally for Slew.

Well, it was Exceller that paid me 4-1, it is a good thing that so many people see horse racing as you do. Thirty years later, the same kind of money is collected on a similar horse winning the same race. I love it.
jdl

Premier Turf Club
02-06-2008, 08:27 AM

My sentiments exactly, and after breaking through the gate no less. When confronted with real front end speed for the first time Affirmed just chucked it.

john del riccio
02-06-2008, 09:08 AM
....and when exceller came to him at the 1/4 pole, slew eyeballed him for the entire length of the stretch after carving out those splits. pretty amazing.

john

46zilzal
02-06-2008, 11:28 AM
My sentiments exactly, and after breaking through the gate no less. When confronted with real front end speed for the first time Affirmed just chucked it.
Given a year later for maturity, that might not have happened to the same degree with Laffit in the irons.

onefast99
02-06-2008, 11:57 AM
109:2 that was flying on a muddy track seems Exceller found the dry part of the inside rail to just get up in time, excellent race.

Shenanigans
02-06-2008, 10:09 PM
These are all shhh-weeet! :)

It's been a long time since I saw the 78 JCGC. Slew deserves all the credit he's ever received for trying to come back, after those early fractions and Exceller catching him - a lesser horse would have hung.

89 Preakness - Day's great move along the turn to box-in Sunday Silence should have been enough. But then he threw it away by turning Easy Goer's head towards SS "so he could see the other horse" - wouldn't that throw him off-stride?

Cheers,
Leftcoast

Day didn't turn Easy Goers head to "see the other horse" - he didn't have to, Easy Goer saw Sunday Silence. Day had his head turned because PVal had him pinned on the rail and Day had no room. Day was trying to pull Easy Goer from hitting the rail. That race was one of PVal's best "race riding" rides. Day had no choice but to hit Easy Goer left handed but at the same time pulling on the right rein. That keeps a horse from running all out. PVal knew what he was doing.

cnollfan
02-06-2008, 10:29 PM
Day didn't turn Easy Goers head to "see the other horse" - he didn't have to, Easy Goer saw Sunday Silence. Day had his head turned because PVal had him pinned on the rail and Day had no room. Day was trying to pull Easy Goer from hitting the rail. That race was one of PVal's best "race riding" rides. Day had no choice but to hit Easy Goer left handed but at the same time pulling on the right rein. That keeps a horse from running all out. PVal knew what he was doing.

I agree. IMHO two of the three times Sunday Silence beat Easy Goer I believe Pat V outrode Pat Day and that was the difference (the other was the Breeders' Cup).

RXB
02-06-2008, 10:44 PM
Well, it was Exceller that paid me 4-1, it is a good thing that so many people see horse racing as you do. Thirty years later, the same kind of money is collected on a similar horse winning the same race. I love it.
jdl

Exceller might have been a good bet that day with the rabbit and Affirmed to soften up Slew, but it doesn't mean that his performance was the best. They had met a race earlier, and with no kamikaze speed horse in the race, Slew defeated Exceller easily.

So, I look forward to so many people seeing racing as you do.

Hank
02-07-2008, 01:11 AM
Thanks Mr Z. Slew's perfromance in that race ranks with the greatest of ALL TIME.( in fact it may be THE best)That combination of SPEED and Gameness is what makes he and THE DOC the KING and CROWN PRINCE of the Speeds.:ThmbUp: Makes one feel sad to see the faint hearted speeds of today.:ThmbDown:

jonnielu
02-07-2008, 07:16 AM
Exceller might have been a good bet that day with the rabbit and Affirmed to soften up Slew, but it doesn't mean that his performance was the best. They had met a race earlier, and with no kamikaze speed horse in the race, Slew defeated Exceller easily.

So, I look forward to so many people seeing racing as you do.

Some men... you just can't reach. All of the important lessons of horseracing present themselves in those TWO races. Which ones do you see?

jdl

46zilzal
02-07-2008, 11:21 AM
Thanks Mr Z. Slew's perfromance in that race ranks with the greatest of ALL TIME.( in fact it may be THE best)That combination of SPEED and Gameness is what makes he and THE DOC the KING and CROWN PRINCE of the Speeds.
Not even close to the 2:24 June 1973. That is the standard of our time and then 2nd is the Derby with each fraction faster than the preceding one and third is the 1973 Preakness when the race was won on the clubhouse turn unlike I have NEVER seen before of since.

Hank
02-07-2008, 06:59 PM
I was not speaking in terms of time, Im talking pure GRIT.:ThmbUp:

Leftcoast
02-08-2008, 01:23 AM
Day didn't turn Easy Goers head to "see the other horse" - he didn't have to, Easy Goer saw Sunday Silence.

Well, I was paraphrasing from memory what I once read (sorry I don't have an exact cite). To be honest, your explanation makes more sense.

Day had his head turned because PVal had him pinned on the rail and Day had no room. Day was trying to pull Easy Goer from hitting the rail. That race was one of PVal's best "race riding" rides. Day had no choice but to hit Easy Goer left handed but at the same time pulling on the right rein. That keeps a horse from running all out. PVal knew what he was doing.

Cheers,
Leftcoast