PDA

View Full Version : The Great Society motors on......2nd and 3rd Generation

JustRalph
02-05-2008, 06:00 PM
Lyndon Johnson doomed an entire group of people to despair and yet the beat goes on....................

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/02/04/MN1PQ0EG4.DTL

A few escape Sunnydale, but many are trapped

Monday, February 4, 2008

Sandra Knox is singing to her dead husband's face on a T-shirt.

"I've got something I want to say," she belts, one fist pumping to the beat of a Temptations song, while the other grips a lit Newport. "You know you make my heart go crazy. You're such a sexy man."

Today, Sandy sings to the "In Loving Memory" shirt dangling from the ceiling fan on a hanger. It's the same shirt she kisses each morning, sprays with her late husband's cologne, and yells at. It's the shirt she stuffs in a drawer when she is too frustrated to think about him.

Her next-door neighbor, Arlene Harris, is nearby, leaning against a wall, worried. The two women have grown close since Arlene moved to the Sunnydale housing development four years ago. Arlene is concerned about Sandy, who is still grief-stricken over the slaying of her husband on New Year's Day 2007, because she spends most of her days inside. It's been almost a year, and Sandy doesn't seem any closer to healing.

"Go outside?" Sandy asks. "For what?"

Arlene and Sandy are alike in many ways. Both grew up in San Francisco public housing, experienced violent relationships, had several children and make a living running underground stores in the projects.

Arlene sells cigarettes and candy. Sandy offers cupcakes, pineapple sodas and beef jerky.

The sales cover the women's $25 monthly rent, with a little cash left over for food, cigarettes and supplies. The money provides just enough to survive inside Sunnydale.

But to get out, it takes more. It takes not only cash but persistence, the ability to seek out counseling and treatment services - and an innate stubbornness.

This is what sets Sandy and Arlene apart from one another.

Sandy is resigned to staying in Sunnydale.

Arlene is determined to get out.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sandra Knox was born at San Francisco General Hospital 50 years ago and was raised in a Hunters Point housing project. She moved to Sunnydale with her first husband about 30 years ago and had three daughters. Her girls have since moved, and continually try to get her to do the same. Sandy gives a number of reasons as to why she can't.

"I'm poor. This is me," she says one day. "This is where I live."

A week later, Sandy explains she can't move out of her two-bedroom apartment because she will have to pay her own electric bill. In the housing projects, the Housing Authority takes care of PG&E.
~ please check the link.......it gets worse~

http://www.sfgate.com/c/pictures/2008/02/04/mn_sunnydalearlene09.jpg

JustRalph
02-05-2008, 06:01 PM
more from above article,,,,,,,,,and check out the slide show with audio

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/object/article?o=0&f=/c/a/2008/02/04/MN1PQ0EG4.DTL

http://www.sfgate.com/c/pictures/2008/02/04/mn_sunnydale_sandy22.jpg

46zilzal
02-05-2008, 06:11 PM
Yes a dead president is telling these people, in dreams, to be the way they are. Correlation ZERO.

Lefty
02-06-2008, 11:21 AM
Since LBJ's ill conceived "Great Society" we've spent over 11 TRILLION on the "war on poverty" yet we still have poor people. Money can't fix this problem. Individuals have to step up and take responsibilty but many won't as long as we give them the means to just exist, many will do just that. Thank You LBJ. Yes, zilly, there is a correlation.

Tom
02-06-2008, 11:45 AM
So Hillary and Obama want to throw more money at the problem.
Maybe there will some kind of harmonic convergence when the number of dollars pissed away reaches 22 trillion and matches the number of illgal aliens here - 22 million.

That's two wars LBJ had no exit strategy for.

What's missing in the welfare state is incentive.