PDA

View Full Version : Hows the day in the life of an exercise rider go/entail?

kyle2227
02-05-2008, 02:08 AM
Hello all. I'm thinking the job of exercise rider might be right for me. I weigh too much to be a jockey but I am pretty good at riding horses(never been on young tbreads however only old retired racehorses) I was just wondering what the day of the life of an exercise rider entails? Like how many hours a day does one usually take to exercise all the horses? How many days a week is it (im assuming 6-7) what exactly do I do to each horse(like how am I exerciseing them.) Also why is it so dangerous( I understand the horses kick and bite but what are the other risks(falling off at high speed?) thanks for the information everyone!
As much as I want to be a jock I think exercise rider would be the best start to see if I am able to loose the weight or not to become a jockey.

Marlin
02-05-2008, 05:52 AM
You are ahead of the curve. Exercise per trainer instructions at $10-$20 a head. Go from there.:)

Shenanigans
02-05-2008, 07:45 AM
Exercise riders start their day when the track opens for training. Depending on the track and time of year that can be 5:00 or 6:00. The track usually is closed for training by 10 or 11. If you work for one trainer, you usually get a salary. I would advise starting out with one trainer. Find one that is willing to give you the easy horses in the barn. Your duty is to listen to the trainers instructions for each horse. Some trainers like the horse warmed up at a trot to a certain point on the track. You will be going the opposite way, on the outside rail when doing this. Then turn the horse around to gallop however the trainer instructed i.e once around, mile and a half, two miles etc. Some trainers want you to take time with the horse and stand him out before you gallop him. This is where you allow the horse to stand by the outside rail and watch the other horses gallop. This is good for the horse because it teaches him patients. I have been on one too many horses that this isn't done with because the previous exercise rider is in a hurry to "hustle" his other mounts. The horse ends up wheeling around and taking off. Not good.
Galloping horses at the track can be and is dangerous. Not only do you have to pay attention to what you are doing, but what others are doing around you. The rail is for fast works, the middle of the track is for gallops, and the outside rail for slow exercise i.e trotting, backtracking, hobby horsing. Unfortunately, not every rider observes these rules.
Watching for loose horses is another must do. If you see a loose horse galloping toward you, the best thing is to try and pull your horse up and turn the direction the loose horse is galloping. Loose horses are notorious for running head on into on coming horses. Turning your horse in the same direction lessens the chance, but doesn't totally diminish it.
If you gallop, you will eventually get run off with. This is faulty steering with no brakes. The outriders can assist you in pulling the horse up if you holler at them in time (good luck). Most would recommend "dropping" the horse on the rail when it runs off, because your going fast, but in the same time, it's telling the horse to go fast. The main thing is don't jump off and don't let go of the reins. I've seen these two happen and it only turns into ugly results.
If I were you, I would seek out a farm that has both older and younger horses. Learning to break babies would really teach you where your seat is. Plus, on the farm, older horses are usually more relaxed. All the years I rode at farms, I never got ran off with. The track on the other hand is a different story. You could be galloping along nicely and then some jerk will either blow by you on the outside of you, or come along side you, see your horse is getting strong and not back off - away you go.
Hope some of this helps.

kyle2227
02-05-2008, 12:20 PM
Thanks for the information guys. That helps out a lot. I understand it much better now.

46zilzal
02-05-2008, 01:15 PM
The danger part is accurate. One of the ugliest, dirtiest compound fractures I ever saw in the ER was an exercise rider whose leg was torqued underneath a horse that laid down on him.

I can still hear the guy!

However that is not a common thing. Working at the track is like being a part of a large circus family: itinerant gypsies one and all.

jognlope
02-05-2008, 09:20 PM
Here's either a "morning birds" or exercise rider video at the Spa or both! Good luck!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRC8zWPtlAE

jognlope
02-05-2008, 09:25 PM
What? A comment on the video says we can't watch the workouts on the Oklahoma track anymore? I hate that, sucky NYRA!!! (Hope it's not true!!)