Clinton: 261 (52% total run)
Obama: 190

Republican need to win: 1191
Democratic needed to win: 2026

Democratic up for grabs Super Tues: 2084

Repulican up for grabs Super Tues: 1081

Tom
02-05-2008, 09:05 AM
They should move this to Madis Gras - then we could have Super Fat Tuesday.

mountainman
02-05-2008, 06:19 PM
Time to turn on Fox and watch them spin to keep Romney in the race and strain to root Obama past Clinton. Come to think of it, could republicans MAKE it more obvious that they tremble at the thought of Hillary, but view Obama as a pushover? Feel free to draw your OWN conclusions from that.

DanG
02-05-2008, 06:30 PM
Time to turn on Fox and watch them spin to keep Romney in the race and strain to root Obama past Clinton. Come to think of it, could republicans MAKE it more obvious that they tremble at the thought of Hillary, but view Obama as a pushover? Feel free to draw your OWN conclusions from that.
Sometimes people say things as a reminder you’re not alone in the world.

Thank you Mark. :ThmbUp:

46zilzal
02-05-2008, 06:33 PM
Obama parallel's Curlin history: new on the scene impressing a lot of people, but experience is limited.....Will the same thing happen akin to the latter's Derby adventure?

bigmack
02-05-2008, 06:55 PM
On the flipside, you could take your pick from ABC, NBC, CNN, MSNBC, CBS, scores of newspapers & local affiliates rootin' for McCain. "Fox spin" in comparison to that tide is a mere ripple.

ddog
02-05-2008, 07:35 PM
or..... One could wait for Wed night and go online and see who voted for whom and leave all the "other junk" out of it.

To each his own.

spin, who where??? :lol:

DeanT
02-05-2008, 07:57 PM
Man, this is pretty interesting. Obama went to pretty decent chalk on betfair in live betting (1.74 vs. 2.36 for Clinton).

They are believing the Drudge Report I think, with his exit poll data.

rrpic6
02-05-2008, 08:32 PM

You must have missed "Rushbo", he's doing just that every minute of his blabbering show. Way to go all you Mountaineers! Huckabee wins without any money spent. Romney must be reeling.

RR

Tom
02-05-2008, 10:21 PM
Any state that goes for Huckleberry needs to have it's membership in the Union looked at really hard. :faint:

bigmack
02-05-2008, 11:55 PM
Looks like the popularity of BO's video has put an affect in his oratory delivery that makes each line/sentence a rise towards the middle (pause) and a staccato, quick stop on the last word of each line. He's a Baptist now?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjXyqcx-mYY

PaceAdvantage
02-06-2008, 12:21 AM
On the flipside, you could take your pick from ABC, NBC, CNN, MSNBC, CBS, scores of newspapers & local affiliates rootin' for McCain. "Fox spin" in comparison to that tide is a mere ripple.Hey, you took the words right out of my fingertips.

Then again, some folks are just plain blind when it comes to politics, bias, and hypocrisy.

DanG
02-06-2008, 07:58 AM
Then again, some folks are just plain blind when it comes to politics, bias, and hypocrisy.
Well, that statement certainly fits several camps recently.

The debate over so-called “news” agendas is strictly personal preference and completely subjective.

What I do find fascinating is how the GOP; its radio and 24 hour news affiliates are avoiding our current president’s name like the bubonic plague. I realize its all politics at this point, but even his staunch defenders don’t dare make reference. That is an interesting commentary on how an ideology can be strongly advocated while in motion and then the word “change” becomes a campaign mantra.

Before I’m branded as some sort of subversive by hard core Republicans I am disgusted by BOTH parties and have been for 25 years. :ThmbDown: :ThmbDown:

DeanT
02-06-2008, 10:12 AM
You can say what you want about Fox guys, but man, Karl Rove and Harold Ford last night as the two insider analysts? That was awesome. I am no lap dog, and no one tells me how to think. I just want quality, and they deliver with solid guests, who seem smart. Even their guests are much better than the other networks, imo. Barone and Juan Williams etc - No overly polarizing figures like someone from The Nation, or some southern bible belt right winger, arguing nonsenses which each other.

Anyhoo, interesting note from last night for us gamblers? Betfair had state by state betting in running, and Hilary was 1.01 to win Missouri. There was about $2000 there for a little bit (1.01 meaning someone wanting to bet Hilary in Missouri at 1:100 odds). She was up about 40K, but the cities had not come in where Obama was running 65-35. Crunchng numbers it sure looked close. Obama nailed it, and those people looking for $20 profit on that two K risk, lost it all.

It was like Scott Lake off the claim against 4 slugs, but his horse had kidney sweat and was dead lame.

DeanT
02-06-2008, 10:28 AM
Any state that goes for Huckleberry needs to have it's membership in the Union looked at really hard. :faint:

I think we should get used it. I'd bet dollars to donuts he is the VP nominee. He delivers votes McCain won't, by firing up the base.

DanG
02-06-2008, 10:43 AM
You can say what you want about Fox guys, but man, Karl Rove and Harold Ford last night as the two insider analysts? That was awesome. I am no lap dog, and no one tells me how to think. I just want quality, and they deliver with solid guests, who seem smart. Even their guests are much better than the other networks, imo. Barone and Juan Williams etc - No overly polarizing figures like someone from The Nation, or some southern bible belt right winger, arguing nonsenses which each other.

I respect your opinion Dean and I have to qualify my statements by I don’t watch it very often. I do visit family each week and they have it on 24/7 so I can’t help but see it occasionally.

One observation on their guest list and agenda. The times I have seen them debate its set up like the Globetrotters and the Washington Generals. Sean Hannity for example might as well have an empty chair instead of his so-called antagonist. I realize who their target audience is and the ‘fair and balanced moniker was pure marketing genius. But to say they represent all view points with equal “enthusiasm” shall we say…is simply not the case from where I sit.

Sorry; I’m sure there have been 8 million Fox thread on here and I didn’t mean to detour Mack’s thread.

Hope you cashed with Betfair Dean! :ThmbUp:

BTW: This is a far cry from the restaurant business where I would DARE mention politics! :D

DeanT
02-06-2008, 11:16 AM
Hey Dan,

I try not to get caught up in this stuff either, so you are nice to speak with :)

What Fox did, and why they get the biased stuff in the media, imo, is not due to any hard right bias on their news anchor or story end, it is because Murdoch is a freaking genius. He was a new kid on the block where CNN was King and he needed an edge to cut into the market. He took raidio talk and put it on television with nightly shows. The talk market is right wing, so he hired a Bill O'Reilly (more independent than right wing I guess, for gosh sakes he is against the death penalty), and Hannity and Colmes for debate. It filled a market and gave him an edge to compete.

If you flip over immediately you scream - right wing bastages! But that is the talk and commentary portion. And it worked. O'Reilly has double the audience of Larry King.

For the news side I do not think this bias is apparent (Chris Wallace and Hemmer were called lefties when they worked for another network, so I am not smart enough to decipher this stuff I guess), nor do I care if it is. I just want good guests who do not talk down to me, and they are the leader in news because of that, imo. They get star power. I mean Karl Rove, c'mon! I dont care what you think of Bush or Rove, but he ran two amazingly successful campaingns on the ground. What a coup! Harold Ford for the balance is awesome too. I think he might be your president one day. He is an amazingly talented, smart insider.

It's easy for everyone to criticize them, as like you say, with Hannity et al there it makes it pretty obvious, but I look past everything and realize they are winning for a reason. The people watching are not stupid, nor bible belt freaks, they are everyday people who like their guests and the work they do. To me the other networks have a lot of catching up to do.

Sorry for the thread hijack. I worked like a beaver the last few days and I need something to do before AQU and TPX start :)

Always nice chatting with you Dan.

mountainman
02-06-2008, 11:21 AM

Anyhoo, interesting note from last night for us gamblers? Betfair had state by state betting in running, and Hilary was 1.01 to win Missouri. There was about $2000 there for a little bit (1.01 meaning someone wanting to bet Hilary in Missouri at 1:100 odds). She was up about 40K, but the cities had not come in where Obama was running 65-35. Crunchng numbers it sure looked close. Obama nailed it, and those people looking for $20 profit on that two K risk, lost it all.

It was like Scott Lake off the claim against 4 slugs, but his horse had kidney sweat and was dead lame.

Some guy at the Fox roundtable last night finally took a deep breath, gritted his teeth, winced and said "Look, it doesn't matter if Romney continues in the race or not, because it's just not practical to think that after tonite's performance he could be the party nominee." Brit Hume looked like he wanted to cry.
It's humorous when a Fox pundit gets riled and abandons all pretense of being "fair and balanced." When subbing in as host of The Factor, Laura Ingram refers to the Republican party as "we." I somehow doubt a democrat will be asked to sit in for O'Reilly anytime soon. At least Ann Coulter's hateful rhetoric is about self-promotion and book sales. Ingram really IS full of bile.

For my money, the wisest and most objective voice on Fox is Dick Morris. He admits loud and clear that he HATES Hillary, and then proceeds with an informed and honest assessment of her chances to win the White House. Like Karl Rove, Morris brings the credibility of having managed successful campaigns. But unlike Rove, Morris sets aside personal bias when it's time to talk politics.

DanG
02-06-2008, 11:29 AM
He was a new kid on the block where CNN was King and he needed an edge to cut into the market. He took raidio talk and put it on television with nightly shows. The talk market is right wing, so he hired a Bill O'Reilly (more independent than right wing I guess, for gosh sakes he is against the death penalty), and Hannity and Colmes for debate. It filled a market and gave him an edge to compete.

If you flip over immediately you scream - right wing bastages! But that is the talk and commentary portion. And it worked. O'Reilly has double the audience of Larry King.

Could not agree more Dean from a pure business perspective.

Wow;

That may be the first Fox debate where both people didn’t end up serving 5 minutes! :D

http://www.freewebs.com/tampa22/Roy%20vs%20Boulrece.jpg

BOL at the Big-A Dean.

Lefty
02-06-2008, 11:30 AM
RR, Rush does not work for Fox. He is dead set against M'Cain because of his liberal voting record. As is Mark Levin, Coulter, Hannity and other "conservatives." Hannity does work for Fox and is not a newsman but a pundit. I watched Fox newsmen and analysts cover the primaries and didn't see any bias.
Hey, a lot of these guys have now come to the conclusion that "we" as Repubs would rather run against Hillary. Hannity has expressd that view many times. I agree. She and Obama both big libs but there's a bigger chance that she or Bill or both will do a "Howard Dean" and self destruct."

DeanT
02-06-2008, 11:37 AM
Ya Dan. Wow eh, pretty cool? I read the New York Times, too for left wing perspectives, so I can get in fights with both sides quite easily, glad I didnt here.

Mark: I agree on a few things: 1) Dick Morris is a super guest and is a reason why Fox is the leader - smart people that dont talk down to me 2) I know people like Laura Ingraham is a rightie and Juan Williams is a lefty, so that's cool with me. At least they both are smart and let you know where they lie politically and 3) You are a heck of a handicapper and morning line odds maker (your 30-1 shots have a 0.3ROI :)) Keep kicking butt!

PS: Having said that, the reason I have watched news lately (I try to stay away) is because I follow betting. I am a sick freak :). I sat here with a calculator figuring out how many votes Obama would end up with in St Louis county. Thankfully, back to no political news after the election :)

Tom
02-06-2008, 11:53 AM
I think we should get used it. I'd bet dollars to donuts he is the VP nominee. He delivers votes McCain won't, by firing up the base.

I think the word is baseless.:eek:

Sound like a deal was worked out between he squirrel and the squirrel frier.
Tells me all Ineed to know about Juan McCan't.
Edwards was right - there are two America's. Don't eat popcorn from one of them.

DanG
02-06-2008, 12:06 PM
I watched Fox newsmen and analysts cover the primaries and didn't see any bias.

Isn’t that the key to the whole human condition?

We are all wired a little differently, which is a darn good thing for us horseplayers! ;)

delayjf
02-06-2008, 12:45 PM
But to say they represent all view points with equal “enthusiasm” shall we say…is simply not the case from where I sit.
Do you think, at least in the case of Hannity, that the above is more of a reflection of Hannity's aggressive personality than a network wide bias?

From my perspective, Fox at least has been willing to broadcast a conservative perspective which is something the other Networks did not - and that's what has lead to the the ratings Fox gets. Prior to Fox, conservative felt they had no voice (on TV). Personnally I would love to see Hannity duke it out (debate) Al Franken. Actually I would mind the fight as well.

46zilzal
02-06-2008, 12:48 PM
Do you think, at least in the case of Hannity, that the above is more of a reflection of Hannity's aggressive personality than a network wide bias?

I would really like to meet this one in person. What a nut bar.

ceejay
02-06-2008, 12:53 PM
Is McCain a liberal? How many liberals are:
For the war
Anti abortion choice
Against universal health care
For extending Bush tax cuts
Opposed to gay marriage
Opposed to embryonic stem cell research
??????

Just curious......

mountainman
02-06-2008, 01:05 PM
Hey, a lot of these guys have now come to the conclusion that "we" as Repubs would rather run against Hillary.

Merely whistling past their own graveyard. Republicans live in terror of Hillary and want Obama so bad they can taste it.

mountainman
02-06-2008, 01:11 PM

No. There are plenty of liberal pundits who could give Hannity a spirited debate, but instead Fox partnered him with a dull pushover who knows his place.

DanG
02-06-2008, 01:17 PM

From my perspective, Fox at least has been willing to broadcast a conservative perspective which is something the other Networks did not - and that's what has lead to the the ratings Fox gets. Prior to Fox, conservative felt they had no voice (on TV). Personnally I would love to see Hannity duke it out (debate) Al Franken. Actually I would mind the fight as well.
Jeff,

You’re entitled to your opinion and I respect that. From a business perspective their approach is undeniably brilliant.

I have a personal bias when I perceive people place party before country. Sean Hannity (to my ears) is a poster child of this reprehensible trait.

mountainman
02-06-2008, 01:27 PM
3) You are a heck of a handicapper and morning line odds maker (your 30-1 shots have a 0.3ROI :)) Keep kicking butt!

I've never disclosed on air that I'm the oddsmaker, because I try to be objective as an analyst and keep my duties seperate. And making the odds is SUCH a thankless job; You're only noticed when you mess up. Until recently, I did Mnr's line without the benefit of beyers. We now have free access, and that should improve the accuracy of my line. People bet BEYERS. In my opinion, no other factor so heavily influences the odds.

mountainman
02-06-2008, 01:35 PM
Jeff,

You’re entitled to your opinion and I respect that. From a business perspective their approach is undeniably brilliant.

I have a personal bias when I perceive people place party before country. Sean Hannity (to my ears) is a poster child of this reprehensible trait.
I admire your policy of staying friendly and open-minded while expressing strong opinion. That's class pal.

njcurveball
02-06-2008, 01:36 PM
I would hope that your odds reflect your opinion of how the public will bet and your choices reflect your opinion of who will win the race.

If your 30-1 shots had an ROI of 2 or 3, I would be VERY WORRIED!

In fact, if a morning line odds maker does his job "perfectly" ALL of the odds range will show a negative ROI equal or greater than the takeout.

Jim

mountainman
02-06-2008, 01:42 PM
The line is purely a prediction of final odds, and NEVER expresses my opinion as a handicapper. You would be shocked at the number of players unaware of this distinction. I also serve as Mnr's asst. racing secretary and have learned, if nothing else, to surgically seperate my duties.

bigmack
02-06-2008, 01:59 PM
It's humorous when a Fox pundit gets riled and abandons all pretense of being "fair and balanced." When subbing in as host of The Factor, Laura Ingram refers to the Republican party as "we."
Just to maintain your respect for an open mind I trust you're equally as amused with the behavior of scores of pundits on MSNBC and other networks and in particular, that of K Olbermann.

Without recognizing the heavy bias of other offerings as you're tickled by the "bile" you find on Fox, it seriously calls into question your own bias while disguised in a "I just want an un-biased view" cloak. No?

Tom
02-06-2008, 01:59 PM
Is McCain a liberal? How many liberals are:
For the war But against water bording - puts the rights of terrorits ahead of American lives.
Anti abortion choice Not a presidential power - not an issue.
Against universal health care For compromising with dems on bad issues - can't be trusted.
For extending Bush tax cuts But not always for tax cuts - flows with the breeze, but one his more conservative areas, granted
Opposed to gay marriage Not an issue - this is republican crap, not conservatism
Opposed to embryonic stem cell research - Agree here.
??????

Just curious......

But, his positon on open borders and amnesty is the deal breaker. That combined with his obviously not being too bright and willingness to support liberal agendas - Global Warming, Amnesty, The Campaign contribution mess......... this guy is a loose cannon who cannot be trusted or believed.

mountainman
02-06-2008, 02:11 PM
Just to maintain your respect for an open mind I trust you're equally as amused with the behavior of scores of pundits on MSNBC and other networks and in particular, that of K Olbermann.

Without recognizing the heavy bias of other offerings as you're tickled by the "bile" you find on Fox, it seriously calls into question your own bias while disguised in a "I just want an un-biased view" cloak. No?

To be honest, I only watch Fox. They have turned the news into entertainment, and now the other networks bore me.

bigmack
02-06-2008, 02:15 PM
To be honest, I only watch Fox. They have turned the news into entertainment, and now the other networks bore me.
Ratings indicate you're not alone.

By the by, Morris is indeed one of the sharpest political minds of all time. Quite a character as well.

ceejay
02-06-2008, 09:07 PM
Some Tsunami Tuesday numbers not looking too good for the GOP come fall:
Clinton: 7.3 million
Obama: 7.3 million
McCain + Huckabee + Romney: 8.4 million
http://www.time-blog.com/swampland/2008/02/super_tuesday_the_most_interes.html

bigmack
02-06-2008, 09:20 PM
Current counts:

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u70/macktime/2_6_08_18_15_38.png http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u70/macktime/2_6_08_18_15_17.png

Lefty
02-06-2008, 09:44 PM
Merely whistling past their own graveyard. Republicans live in terror of Hillary and want Obama so bad they can taste it.
I don't think that's true at all. Hillary is tainted and has high negatives. Obama as the "fresh face." and a good orator prob canimpress alot of people who don't ask cogent questions. I'd rather face Hillary; don't think i'm alone.

njcurveball
02-06-2008, 09:56 PM
I'd rather face Hillary; don't think i'm alone.

I would say it really depends on the Vice President they choose. Republicans are looking to vote for a Conservative. If McCain can pick someone to "offset" his Party differences, this election gets closer no matter who he runs against.

Tom
02-06-2008, 11:08 PM
I don't see the republican having any shot at all - not even close. Hillary or Obam win with over 60% of the vote. The repubs can't even get get a turnout for the primaries. Many, many republican have been aandoned by thie party, and we will not support it. C'est live. McCan't is going to have that squirrel frier as his running mate, wait and see.

The republicans are dead. the best they can hope for is indivivual conservatives winning enough seats in congress to hold the dems at bay.
I fear dems will take over 60 seats in the senate, though. The party has no focus anymore - it no longer stands for principles, it is just like the dems now, whoring for votes. McCan't is the poster boy for that.

Marshall Bennett
02-07-2008, 12:35 PM
Due to Dems being so devided between Obama and Hillary , I look for a lot of supporters of the loser to cross party lines and vote for McCain in November .
McCain will get a lot of independents and moderates as well . Granted he'll lose many far rights but theres a load of support that other Rep. candidates couldn't depend on . I beleive he has a real shot . I disagree with McCain on several issues but good Lord , look at the alternative !!

GaryG
02-07-2008, 12:48 PM
Due to Dems being so devided between Obama and Hillary , I look for a lot of supporters of the loser to cross party lines and vote for McCain in November .
McCain will get a lot of independents and moderates as well . Granted he'll lose many far rights but theres a load of support that other Rep. candidates couldn't depend on . I beleive he has a real shot . I disagree with McCain on several issues but good Lord , look at the alternative !!I think you are right. I was trying to tell myself that Hillary would be better, but I just can't. I guess I would bite the bullet and vote for McCain....especially if he picks a conservative as his running mate.

ceejay
02-07-2008, 12:53 PM
I thought I heard exit poll results Tues saying that 70% of the D-voters would be happy with either choice.

Tom
02-07-2008, 01:48 PM
Syracuse, NY

Obama - 6,001
Hillary - 6,001

Talk about close!