PDA

View Full Version : YOU WIN WITH DEFENSE

delayjf
02-04-2008, 03:54 PM
When you consider that the Giants took on the three top offensive football teams back to back to back - two on the road and including what many consider the greatest offense in NFL history - and hold all three teams to less than 17 points. That is amazing.

Jeff P
02-04-2008, 04:49 PM
Ya know... I was thinking the same thing this morning. Take a look at any of the greatest teams in history... MLB, NBA, NFL, NHL... make your own list of the best of all time... they all have one thing in common:

They all played great defense.

Hell, I used to pitch for a city of Tempe, AZ slow pitch softball team. And for a couple of seasons we won our league chamionship. And as much as I'd like to think it was our bats... it wasn't. The years we won we did it by not walking batters and making fewer errors than the other teams did.

I agree. At almost every level defense wins championships.

-jp

DanG
02-04-2008, 06:05 PM
When you consider that the Giants took on the three top offensive football teams back to back to back - two on the road and including what many consider the greatest offense in NFL history - and hold all three teams to less than 17 points. That is amazing.
Good point Delay / Jeff;

It’s something that gives hope to the contrarian sports bettor, because the public will always love offense. Anyone who would call the first 3 quarters of that game ‘boring missed some very intense / smart defense and strategy from both sides imho.

Best defense few talk about was the 1999 Tampa Bay Buc’s. II digit dogs to the “greatest show on turf” (Ram’s) and took them to the mat with a PATHETIC offense of their own.

Drive (offense) for show and putt (defense) for dough at the championship level.

JustRalph
02-04-2008, 07:04 PM
We heard this when the Ravens Won. How soon we forget...........
:lol:

I think if I was a GM of an NFL team I might be looking harder at Defensive Lineman in the future. Could you imagine a rotating line of equal power and talent as the Giants put on the field yesterday? let's say they had two M. Strahan's and company to rotate in and out. They shut down a high powered offense.........and those New England Off. lineman were starting to look like hamburger there in the 4th quarter

Valuist
02-04-2008, 07:47 PM
I can't think of a major sport where it isn't true. Its always been that way, and probably always will.....even if a league changes its rules to benefit offense, or another league knowingly turns its head over illegal drug use.

JustRalph
02-04-2008, 10:51 PM
Do you count pitching as defense? When it comes to Baseball?

dav4463
02-05-2008, 12:22 AM
Pitching is definitely defense in baseball.

Spurs (defense),who are called boring by the uninformed public has four NBA titles.

Giants (defense) are the SuperBowl champs. Even the Colts last year stepped up their defense at playoff time.

Hockey, title almost always goes to the team who gets the "hot goalie", the one who stands on his head to make saves.

Soccer: the score is always 1-0, so I guess you could call that defense!