PDA

View Full Version : Let's complain about HPITV, shall we?

firstofftheclaim
02-03-2008, 11:27 PM
First off, no offense to anyone who's home track happens to be Turfway Park. It's a nice track and I don't mind it. I just don't know of many people who, if given the choice, would rather wager and watch Turfway Park over Oaklawn Park.

I recently got in contact with Jennifer Morrison after reading her blog. I asked her why HPITV shows Turfway Park over Oaklawn Park. She said that HPITV shows tracks that people bet, so I guess Canadians wager more on Turfway than Oaklawn. If that's the case I would suggest the main reasoning for that would be HPITV SHOWING Turfway Park. She gave me the name of the gentleman and his e-mail address who might be responsible. The e-mail bounced back.

Hello,

I was just inquiring as to your track selection on HPITV. It seems as though you guys have chosen to show Turfway Park over the entire card at Tampa Bay Downs or any races from Oaklawn Park at all. This is perplexing and frustrating to many fans of horse racing in Canada for many reasons. Many horseplayers could make the argument that Oaklawn Park has surpassed Gulfstream Park as the premier wintering spot for potential Kentucky Derby runners. While I suspect that HPITV will indeed show the major 3 y/o stakes races at Oaklawn, It seems as though on Saturdays and Sundays we will miss out on entire cards of racing at Oaklawn Park in favor of racing at Turfway Park.

Some numbers to consider

Saturday, January 19th 2008

Turfway Park total handle : 2,340,872
Turfway Park handle per race: 212,806
Average field size: 8.8

Tampa Bay Downs total handle : 3,409,871
Tampa Bay Downs handle per race: 309,998
Average field size: 9.3

Oaklawn Park total handle: 2,578,876
Oaklawn Park handle per race: 286,541
Average field size: 10.2

There really is no comparison as to where the better quality of racing lies. The only things I could come up with is that WEG is under some sort of contractual obligation to show Turfway Park or that somehow Canadians wager more money on Turfway than Tampa and Oaklawn, in which case I would argue that getting a spot on HPITV would help lead to that fact.

I think I speak for most frustrated Canadian horseplayers on this matter. HPITV is the only show in town, it's not as if we can sign up for twinspires or youbet etc...

Perhaps HPITV should update their website and ask its loyal viewers which tracks are most important to them in a poll. Currently they have a poll up about surfaces.

Thank you for taking my question.

Cheers!

HPITV is only $5 a month and its a pretty good service, I just think it could be better.