PDA

View Full Version : Santa Anita Cancelled

ponyplayer
02-03-2008, 12:42 PM
What a bummer. :confused:

shanta
02-03-2008, 12:45 PM
Dan G is right. This is becoming a farce out there man.

Close the darn track and fix it right. Not this stop gap day to day crap.

46zilzal
02-03-2008, 12:47 PM

I just received a note from the director of the Canadian Thoroughbred Hall of Fame and he tells me this is an industry wide disgrace, as it the NYRA management debacle.

Time to admit there was a MISTAKE and correct it.

ImCashinIn
02-03-2008, 01:02 PM
Never before have I seen such a mess when it comes down to these "so called" All Weather Tracks. The Great Race Place has now been forced to cancel yet another day of racing due to the track condition. And they are planning to cancel this coming Monday's and Thursday's races as well. (dark on Tuesday and Wednesday). That makes history. Not since WWll has the track lost that many days. Jan. 5,6,7,24,25,27,28 Feb. 3,4,and 7. Thats technology for ya.
Then you have the mess down south. That track is so messed up its almost impossible to handicap. Hollywood Park seems to have made it thru thier meets with very little problems. And they supposingly have the same track as Anita. Golden Gate has yet another type of surface. Tapeta. They seem to be able to run when it rains with no problem.
I do care for the safety of both horse and jockey. Its easy to see good results from these "new" surfaces when they rarely race on them. I say bring back the dirt. Bring back the mud. Thats horse racing at its finest.

Synthetic's are for clothes, not race tracks.:bang:

Burls
02-03-2008, 01:20 PM
I wish they would just move the meet to Hollywood and be done with it.
Synthetic track technology is in its relative infancy and whatever synthetic track setup they have at SA is pretty clearly an early casualty.

Pace Cap'n
02-03-2008, 02:06 PM
Weather @ 11:09 local:

Today: Windy. A steady rain this morning, with showers continuing this afternoon. High 61F. E winds shifting to W at 20 to 30 mph. Rainfall near a half an inch. Winds could occasionally gust over 40 mph.

northerndancer
02-03-2008, 02:22 PM
I wish they would just move the meet to Hollywood and be done with it.
Synthetic track technology is in its relative infancy and whatever synthetic track setup they have at SA is pretty clearly an early casualty.

This would be the intelligent thing to do....... hmmmmmm intelligence and Frank...... horse wizard......

There is also no way that Frank will allow Jack to get over on him again..... snowballs chance in hell for that to happen.

Does anyone find it strange that the TOC has been awfully quiet about the situation? The trainers and owners based in So Cal also been extremely quiet.

Gibbon
02-03-2008, 03:48 PM
SA continues to average 10 million in handle.
Nothing will change until YOU boycott this track.

JustRalph
02-03-2008, 04:54 PM

I am doing my part.............I havent' put a dollar in the pools since the closings started...........

classhandicapper
02-03-2008, 04:56 PM
What a bummer. :confused:

Do us a favor, let us know when SA is not cancelled. ;)

ponyplayer
02-03-2008, 05:15 PM

Have to agree with that....it's not funny anymore...WTF are they going to do for the Breeder's Cup? They better have the damn thing fixed by then. :mad:

Tom
02-03-2008, 05:17 PM
Smarrt thing to do here is find an alternative site and yank it from this bunch of loswers tright now. You can't take the chance that they will find a brain on e bay in time to fix things. :ThmbDown::ThmbDown::ThmbDown:

Indulto
02-03-2008, 05:21 PM
This would be the intelligent thing to do....... hmmmmmm intelligence and Frank...... horse wizard......

There is also no way that Frank will allow Jack to get over on him again..... snowballs chance in hell for that to happen.When and how did Jack "get over on" Frank, previously?Does anyone find it strange that the TOC has been awfully quiet about the situation? The trainers and owners based in So Cal also been extremely quiet.Did the TOC have any role in the original decision to install Cushion Track at SA?

DJofSD
02-03-2008, 05:36 PM

Ya, there's nothin' no body can do about anythin', is there.

Well, I'm p*ssed as hell. I've been pretty busy with both family and work since before Thanksgiving and had really been looking forward to this weekend (besides the Super Bowl). A chance to ramp my handicapping back up especially for the Strub series.

Open note to any CHRB, Stronach, Santa Anita, Cal Racing, TOC, etc., representatives: you are losing my interest very quickly and it will be really easy for me to quit handicapping. I stopped handicapping between 1998 through 2003. Now having been away for a couple of months, I find my interest and motivation at the same low point it was in 1998. In other words, it would be very easy for me to pursue other interests and quit racing altogether. Do you hear that sound? That's me walking away from handicapping. I am opening the door. Motivate me. Tell me why I should continue to tolerate this sham. Hurry up. I am just about ready to slam the door behind me. And very likely never to return.

I am listening and waiting.

Zaf
02-03-2008, 06:55 PM
I wish they would install a surface that works, I think its called dirt :rolleyes:

Z

Tom
02-03-2008, 08:13 PM
:lol:

theratpac
02-03-2008, 11:32 PM
I live about 5 minutes from S.A. if it rained it must have sprinkled after 2am. It seems that if someone spits on the track they cancel the racing. Just saved me some money. Thats a good thing.

Boats
02-04-2008, 12:35 PM
It seems like a lot of peoplw like tapeta.
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/02/04/SPCCURH22.DTL

BlueShoe
02-04-2008, 07:56 PM
Either we have claimers going 1:07 and change or else we get rained out and cancelled.How sad,I have many fond memories going back decades at what was once The Great Race Place,now the place has almost become a freak show.Am keeping fingers crossed in hopes of restoring its old heritage and greatness.

ponyplayer
02-04-2008, 10:12 PM
Either we have claimers going 1:07 and change or else we get rained out and cancelled.How sad,I have many fond memories going back decades at what was once The Great Race Place,now the place has almost become a freak show.Am keeping fingers crossed in hopes of restoring its old heritage and greatness.

You know, I have kind of thought exactly what you just said, but I had not quite stopped to put it into words....I think of the history, the tradition, the majestic beauty, the magnificant horses who ran there...to the sorry state of affairs we have now. :(

Zaf
02-05-2008, 12:49 AM
It seems like a lot of peoplw like tapeta.
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/02/04/SPCCURH22.DTL

"Just because you buy one car that doesn't turn out, it doesn't mean you don't buy another car," Dickinson said. "I still see within four or five years there won't be dirt tracks left."

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Z

PaceAdvantage
02-05-2008, 02:37 AM
Well, I for one hope Dickinson is wrong.

46zilzal
02-05-2008, 12:59 PM
"Just because you buy one car that doesn't turn out, it doesn't mean you don't buy another car," Dickinson said. "I still see within four or five years there won't be dirt tracks left."

I wish I had saved the Blood Horse article. THE SAME THING was said after Remington got their Equitrack.

kenwoodallpromos
02-05-2008, 03:14 PM
I wish I had saved the Blood Horse article. THE SAME THING was said after Remington got their Equitrack.
From trainer Jenda from the article- "We've gotten so much rain that in the old days we wouldn't have been racing," trainer Bill Delia said. "I've had a few injures but I know I had more with the old track. I think it is the best track we've had around here in 20 years."
Are we comparing Tapeta to Equitrack or BM rubber to BM concrete highway?

Stillriledup
02-28-2010, 07:49 AM

2 years later, same old same old.