PDA

View Full Version : Good time to sell on ebay

banacek
02-02-2008, 07:07 PM
I keep a close eye on ebay and there are some extremely high prices on some of the handicapping auctions right now.

Last week an auction for Eric Langjahr's money management booklet - Betting Techniques ($19.95 at Pizzolla's site) and a Blood Horse primer book ($11.53 at Amazon) sold for $137.50. Then two Dick Mitchell booklets and a DVD - (DVD 29.95 at Cynthia, book 1 $19.95 at Cynthia, not sure if the other one is available or not) went for $213.

Might be time to clean out the closet!

bigmack
02-02-2008, 07:38 PM
With any luck, leisure suits will make a strong come back and I'll make a killing.
Triple-knit polyester, hotter than Georgia asphalt.

http://www.hfmgv.org/exhibits/pic/2004/leisure/outfitentire_sm.jpg

Donnie
02-02-2008, 08:02 PM
Crazy, isn't it, Banacek?
Shows you how uninformed the public can be! Got sucked into one of those once....paid too much for something that is still available at a lower price!
I wonder how much I can get for a Ray Taulbot system that was typed up on onion paper?....yes...it is an original!!

banacek
02-02-2008, 08:30 PM
Crazy, isn't it, Banacek?
Shows you how uninformed the public can be! Got sucked into one of those once....paid too much for something that is still available at a lower price!
I wonder how much I can get for a Ray Taulbot system that was typed up on onion paper?....yes...it is an original!!

Taulbot stuff is top dollar - and I imagine most are copies these days. Positive Factor handicapping just sold for around $125 a few weeks ago.

GaryG
02-02-2008, 08:40 PM
Wish you hadn't mentioned Taulbot.....Several years ago I sold an original copy of Thoroughbred Horseracing - Playing for Profit. I just wish I still had it. Hi was under-appreciated in his own time.

banacek
02-02-2008, 08:47 PM
Wish you hadn't mentioned Taulbot.....Several years ago I sold an original copy of Thoroughbred Horseracing - Playing for Profit. I just wish I still had it. Hi was under-appreciated in his own time.

Actually that one is pretty cheap..you can get one for under 10 bucks. It seems to be the other stuff - booklets, handicapping lessons, etc. that get the big bucks.

Donnie
02-02-2008, 08:48 PM
There is a copy of his original works out there right now (Handicapping Lessons), but there is also a reserve on them...I think they sold for almost $500 just a few months ago. I own about 6 yrs worth of ATM originals from the 40's and 50's....many old Taulbot articles in them.....

Gary if you're interested I can send you a copy...I have 2

rokitman
02-02-2008, 09:48 PM
With any luck, leisure suits will make a strong come back and I'll make a killing.
Triple-knit polyester, hotter than Georgia asphalt.

http://www.hfmgv.org/exhibits/pic/2004/leisure/outfitentire_sm.jpg
Hmmm...whatcha lookin to get for that? :cool:

Dave Schwartz
02-02-2008, 10:10 PM
Mack,

Do you have that in yellow?

:lol:

Dave

redhorse
02-03-2008, 05:48 AM
It is currently selling om AbeBooks, for 5.56, and there are more then 23 copies available.

GaryG
02-03-2008, 06:06 AM
There is a copy of his original works out there right now (Handicapping Lessons), but there is also a reserve on them...I think they sold for almost $500 just a few months ago. I own about 6 yrs worth of ATM originals from the 40's and 50's....many old Taulbot articles in them.....

Gary if you're interested I can send you a copy...I have 2Thanks Donnie but I see from another post that it is readily available. I'll just buy one there. Thanks for your generosity

GG

Donnie
02-03-2008, 07:00 AM
No problem....
just let me know if you wanna save the $5.56! :)

bigmack
02-03-2008, 12:56 PM
Hmmm...whatcha lookin to get for that?
:lol: Complete with white shoes and matching belt, $275. I'll also throw in a puka shell necklace and Denny Terrio's "Match the foot to the number" dance instruction home game.

Mack,
Do you have that in yellow? Dave
:lol: I had one in blue plaid that was about as silly looking as you could ever imagine. Course at the time I didn't know that. I remember getting stuck in the rain, downtown Chicago. That polyester didn't absorb a drop of water. It bounced off the triple-knit fabric like little jumping beans. Quite a sight to behold.

socantra
02-03-2008, 01:32 PM

What was the date on that original? I've been trying to get an idea of how many editions of Thoroughbred Handicapping have actually been done.

I've got a @1975, which is listed as a 21st printing. I think there was a complete revision in the 60's, after Taulbot's death. The closest thing I've come up with for an original publication date was 1942. Listed page lengths I've found include 252, 285, 278 and 289. Apparently, Ameripub just listed printing dates rather than revision dates

GaryG
02-03-2008, 02:08 PM
What was the date on that original? I've been trying to get an idea of how many editions of Thoroughbred Handicapping have actually been done.

I've got a @1975, which is listed as a 21st printing. I think there was a complete revision in the 60's, after Taulbot's death. The closest thing I've come up with for an original publication date was 1942. Listed page lengths I've found include 252, 285, 278 and 289. Apparently, Ameripub just listed printing dates rather than revision datesThe one I had was from the late 50s. It seems like some of the examples were from races much earlier. I have seen the 1975 version in the library. Seems like it was re-written some. Real nostalgic for me as that is when I knew what I wanted to do with my life....to the horror of family and school counselors.

banacek
02-03-2008, 03:28 PM
Well, right now - Bill Omsted's Complete Handicapper is at $107 with 5 hours left. Talbout's lessons are at $154.50, and The Harvard Logarithmic Selector - circular slide rule thingy circa 1974 is at $153 with 8 hours left!

I'm sure I've got Robert Elias' Cal-Q-Meter from about the same era..now if I can only figure out where it is...:confused:

Tom
02-03-2008, 04:28 PM
Sorry boys, your too late......I won the auction. All set for Toga!

banacek
02-04-2008, 01:20 AM
Well, right now - Bill Omsted's Complete Handicapper is at $107 with 5 hours left. Talbout's lessons are at $154.50, and The Harvard Logarithmic Selector - circular slide rule thingy circa 1974 is at $153 with 8 hours left!

I'm sure I've got Robert Elias' Cal-Q-Meter from about the same era..now if I can only figure out where it is...:confused:

Well Olmsted's book went for $124, Talbout's lessons $255 (but didn't meet reserve) and the Harvard - I seem to remember Huey Mahl's Systems and Methods talking about what a joke this thing was about 30 years ago - Logarithmic dohickey went for $177.52!

dutchboy
02-04-2008, 07:18 PM
So how does anyone know who is bidding up the price? Would think you could get a group together and take turns bidding on a popular item until someone outside the group bid and then let that sucker buy it.

dylbert
02-04-2008, 08:05 PM
Using eBay is more art than science in my opinion. Often, you will bid against same people and know that fair auction is underway. Other times, you will encounter someone who spikes price upward & I stop bidding. Rule 1 -- Never fall in love with any item. Nothing is so rare that another one won't pop up in later auction.

I have had really great experiences here with folks selling books. Fair prices and friendly service... no worries. Usually someone moving, disposing of extra copy, etc. No system or software purchases.

Again, eBay is not for everyone. Rule 2 -- Reseach item that you may purchase. This is paramount to getting correct item and fair value. Rule 3 --Always remember, if something appears to good to be true, it usually is. Just pass and wait for legitimate auction.

I hope others have had same positive experiences with eBay and fellow PA members.

grahors
02-04-2008, 09:16 PM
Dylbert,
Agree 100%. I have had nothing but positive experiences on both the buying and selling end of e bay in the handicapping area.
Know the product you are bidding on. Know the fair price.
Be honest with the description of you products....damage, highlighting, etc.
Be fair on the shipping cost.
Two creedos I go by.....start low to sell high....and...If I really want a product, shoot out your highest bid right off the top and let them pick away.
I have been stung...had (if I remember correctly) $500 on some Taulbot originals. Thought...NO problem. Got nailed for $510 with 2 secs left.
My mistake.
It's fun, profitable and a great way to clean house.
Cecil

socantra
02-05-2008, 02:42 AM
So how does anyone know who is bidding up the price? Would think you could get a group together and take turns bidding on a popular item until someone outside the group bid and then let that sucker buy it.

Like any other auction, you only bid what you are willing to pay for an item. If it gets bid above what you consider a reasonable price, quit bidding. No one can make you a sucker but yourself. If the price is too high, why would you be bidding in the 1st place?

banacek
02-09-2008, 10:15 PM
And the beat goes on. Today, 1 year (Jan-Dec2007) of Thoroughbred Investor Monthly (from Dave Powers) sold for $162. Now it is $99/year (it even says this in the auction) and I assume if you phoned Dave Powers he would be able to sell them to you for $99. There is one person in particular who must have spent thousands in the last few months. Hope he finds what he is looking for!

Donnie
02-09-2008, 10:49 PM
...the crazy thing, to me, is that 2 people drove it up to that price.....guess Venturo's second offering for $79 for 2005-2006 is now a bargain!!

jhilden
02-10-2008, 07:06 PM
The Match Up II just went for $63 on ebay.. anybody that has a copy stands a good chance of doubling their money

Donnie
02-10-2008, 09:55 PM
I wonder if David knows that his Horse Market Investing sold tonight for $90.13!! Don't tell him, please, until I order my copy from him on his website for $29.95....he's likely to raise the price now!!

timtam
02-11-2008, 12:09 AM
I don't think the product on ebay included the video and the excel

spreadsheet. I stopped bidding at $21 and couldn't believe it sold for

over $90. Only in America :jump:

banacek
02-11-2008, 12:14 AM
The thing about the person that keeps winning these is that he makes a huge opening bid and then goes away. He doesn't slowly bid the product up..he just puts a bid of like $100 or $200 on something at the start and that's it.

Kind of like putting $100 on a horse and not caring what odds you get. He must prefer underlays.

highnote
02-11-2008, 12:44 AM
Using eBay is more art than science in my opinion.

Whenever the seller uses the word "vintage" -- caveat emptor -- buyer beware.

I bought a "vintage" women's silk KY Derby scarf for $25 for a friend who likes to wear scarves. I thought it would make a nice gift.

The scarf was (1.) Uglier than the picture; (2.) had some kind of gross stains on it; (3.) wasn't worth the cost of shipping.

I've been meaning to try to sell it on ebay for $30. If you see it for sale by me -- DON'T BUY IT! :D

timtam
02-12-2008, 12:08 AM
Earl Sigoloff's POP system is on ebay and the bidding is up to $ 175.00

You gotta be kidding. I could give the entire system in one sentence.

Holy cow what a country !!! :jump:

Wiseguy
02-12-2008, 06:21 AM
The Match Up II just went for $63 on ebay.. anybody that has a copy stands a good chance of doubling their money

Yep. That was me, thank you. I learned of The Match Up 2 book only after it was sold out. With only 100 copies out there I figured it could be difficult in obtaining one. I entered a max bid of "double" the original price. Fortunately the other highest bidder set a max of $62.

Also, for all you eBay'ers that bid regularily, I highly recommend using a sniper service, such as Myibay.com (I am not affiliated with them, or any other snipe service). It's free and there's no registration. You simply log-in with your eBay info and enter your max bid. Then with a few seconds left in the auction it will begin your bidding. You do not have to be online at all and can go about your business. Not to mention the fact that you don't have to expose your position and bid the price up. Very convenient and even more effective.

~Michael