PDA

View Full Version : Los Alamitos

Marshall Bennett
02-02-2008, 12:02 PM
I read with interest ( and sadness ) a letter to the editor of the DRF concerning a 13 yr old mare ( Planting Time ) that was entered in a $2000 claiming race at Los Alamitos . The horse was on a 5 yr. 11 mo. layoff . She broke down and was euthanized following the race . The connections of this mare in my opinion are sick and in need of psychological attention !! I've never been a fan of this racetrack , and even less so now . Folks questioning the demise of this industry need not look any further than the poor class function of this low level facility

46zilzal
02-02-2008, 12:04 PM
I saw a similiar thing when the great sprinter Kissin' George came back to GGF in a 8,000 claimer. The once mighty horse that challenged the front end with Dr. Fager, prompted the pace, then faded. They dropped him three times before realizing the 10 year old had had it.

It was sad hearing the boo birds, who have no respect for the game holler at this poor old gelding. Saw the same thing at Bay Meadows when the 11 year old, twice world's champion Q-horse, Kaweah Bar couldn't win allowances.

Then last week at the harness track I work at, a 14 year old ex-stakes mare was entered and faded to be beaten 12 lengths.

DrunkenHorseplayer
02-02-2008, 12:29 PM
Don't think you should blame LA but rather the horse's trainer and owner; I believe that LA only runs T-bred races at 4.5f and only for 5k or less due to CHRB rules.

wegoosewe
02-02-2008, 01:02 PM
in my opinion i feel los al put a great program out there and they shouldn't be blamed but its the horses connections are at fault.