PDA

View Full Version : Great Editorial in Thoroughbred Times Saluting Horseplayers

Spectacular Sid
01-31-2008, 05:07 PM
Don Clippinger wrote it in Feb. 2 issue. Can't find it online, but it's a good reminder to the breeders who the magazine caters to that it's the horseplayers, and the money they bet, that is the economic engine of the industry. Urges NTRA to do something to expand the number of gamblers and to change the unfair withholding tax.

kenwoodallpromos
01-31-2008, 07:18 PM
That is what i say! Nor matter how you look at it, if racing wants more gamblers, they have to go out and draw new people unrelated to current people into the game. Card players are all new- their daddys did not play online poker.
That measn racing would have to do something totally mind-blowing- figure out "Something" that would attract Young new bettors either to the track/otb or online by some completely new stategy that is not currently being utilized. I have made my suggestions here and to racing and the racing media already.
All entertainment needs 3 things:
1) Color, sound, and action. That is what draws the attention of newborns and the elderly.
With gambling, other elements ar also important:
2) Initial interest, ease of accessability and of learning the game, comradery in some form such as some sports have when following a team, ego of feeling superior/successful when winning. That is why I made the following suggestions-
1) instant cnnection to the race after betting it online, Jousing exhibitions during the racecard, special side activities, ceremonies, exhibits. More info between races on the PA about the horses, connections, etc.
2) High school career day at the track on off-day; Hall of Fame trading cards; Explanation of PP's and charts on every applicaple page of the DRF; better promoting of and access to trainers and jockeys; name and picture of big winners (if they wish) on exotics and longshots at the track; PR people that know how to find angles to stories and pitch them to local and national media.
Now I wait for racing to "take the ball and run with it" which, of course, is a phrase taken from other sports!!LOL!!

Dan Montilion
01-31-2008, 08:04 PM
Can't argue with the get new fans idea. However, how can an industry that can't keep the fans they already have get new ones?

kenwoodallpromos
02-01-2008, 11:34 AM
Can't argue with the get new fans idea. However, how can an industry that can't keep the fans they already have get new ones?
Total wagering is staying about the same; sttrition and switching from track and OTB to the web is what is different, but the industry refuses to do a proper count of where the betting buck is going through.
Horseracing is like fishing- hook them young and Some interest will remain.