PDA

View Full Version : Maryland DQ rule

njcurveball
01-30-2008, 03:50 PM
I saw something I have never seen before at Laurel in the 4th. The winner #1 Johnny Z was owned by Home Team Stable and trained by Scott Lake. He was DQed for bothering the 5th place finisher. Everyone moved up and he was placed 5th.

However, the 2nd place horse was owned by Rafael Celis and also trained by Scott Lake. They ran as an entry. This horse closed late to just miss the win.

However, there is no telling if the 5th place horse would have got up, only losing by a 1/2 length and 3 heads.

So the rule is the leader can impede anyone he wants and the other half can run by them and not only do they get the first place money, but also cash the bet?

I guess the only one that loses is the owner of the other half of the entry.

Makes the mind wonder why not just run entries and have your horse on the lead come out and impede a few, letting the closer run by them.

Jim

Jeff P
01-30-2008, 05:04 PM
I was at Turf Paradise several summers ago. I bet an entry at Woodbine. As luck would have it the horse I bet wired the field. The other half of the entry lugged in on the far turn squeezing off half the field and finished 3rd.

Knowing that I had bet the 1 and that I was an American, a Canadian sitting next to me did a really good job of convincing me I better hope they didn't take the other half of my entry down... because the rules in Canada are different than your rules here in the US. Back home they DO take both halves of the entry down when the stewards determine a DQ is warranted. He said it with such a perfect poker face that he had me sweating it out... and when the DQ was announced I actually slapped my hand against the table in disgust and said a few choice words.

Then he started laughing. It took a second or two for me to see the win payoff for the #1 on the TV monitors and I realize I'd been had.

-jp

skate
01-30-2008, 05:28 PM

Makes the mind wonder why not just run entries and have your horse on the lead come out and impede a few, letting the closer run by them.

Jim

My question would be "why the bother with entries"?

Just set it up and do it.

northerndancer
01-30-2008, 05:38 PM

Actually the biggest loser of them all is the horse that ran 3rd in the race because he would have won the race if they did the right thing and DQ'd both parts of the entry.

I agree that if they run as an entry they should be subject to the penalties as an entry.

It actually used to be the way it was in Canada but they changed it to the same rule as today a few years back....... I also believe that NYRA also used to DQ both parts of the entry if one part of the entry caused foul.

It happened at Woodbine in a stakes race won by Frank Stronach. He had three horses in the race and one of the horse won the race and a up the track finisher interefered with a horse and they placed all three parts of the entry last.

RXB
01-31-2008, 11:41 AM
In Canada, or at least in BC, it was the stewards' discretion as to whether the entry was disqualified.

I remember a situation at Exhibition Park-- now Hastings-- in 1992, in the major older horse stakes of the year, where one half of the entry (Terrorized) badly impeded the favourite (Military Hawk, who re-rallied to finish 2nd) nearing the quarter pole and the other half of the entry (Overtime Victory) swooped around to win. And it looked pretty suspicious, too, the way Terrorized came over on Military Hawk. But the stewards let Overtime Victory stand as the winner.

njcurveball
01-31-2008, 11:45 AM
But the stewards let Overtime Victory stand as the winner.

OUCH! I wouldn't have wanted to bet that race! :mad: