PDA

View Full Version : Aqueduct cancels

46zilzal
01-30-2008, 01:50 PM
High winds the reason given.

BombsAway Bob
01-30-2008, 01:56 PM
Wah...It's Too Cold....Wah..It's Too Rainy...
Wah...It's Too Windy....Wah...Wah...Wah..
Grow Up, it's Winter in the Northeast!:bang:
I would hate to own a "mudder" nowadays
He'd never get to run!

46zilzal
01-30-2008, 01:59 PM
Over at Philly they rarely cancel unless it is freezing. Relatively the same neighborhood.

njcurveball
01-30-2008, 02:06 PM
Relatively the same neighborhood.

Well you just flunked geography! :ThmbDown:

Norm
01-30-2008, 02:08 PM

Winds gusting at 40 mph, horses running at 35 mph. That adds up to hurricane force winds in the jockey's face. I guess that's a good reason to cancel. Too bad, I had a good one in the 6th. Oh well, . . .

Tom
01-30-2008, 02:08 PM
Talk is cheap - when it's not your butt in the saddle.
I could barely keep my car on the road today, let alone sit precariously in a little saddle atop a 1,000 pound horse in the wind.

The wah wah wah might apply to those who cry when they get a card cancelled - Grow up! It's winter in the Northeast! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Onion Monster
01-30-2008, 02:09 PM
Yeah, I step away from the computer to take out the garbage and I come back to a blank simulcast signal. A helluva cold front is coming through (hit us last night), but I didn't expect them to cancel today.

Yorker
01-30-2008, 02:28 PM
Over at Philly they rarely cancel unless it is freezing. Relatively the same neighborhood.

Not making excuses, but if you think the weather in Bensalem, Pa is the same as what comes across Long Island Sound and Jamaica Bay; I've got beach front property in Grand Island, Nebraska to sell ya.

BombsAway Bob
01-30-2008, 02:33 PM
Talk is cheap - when it's not your butt in the saddle.
I could barely keep my car on the road today, let alone sit precariously in a little saddle atop a 1,000 pound horse in the wind.

The wah wah wah might apply to those who cry when they get a card cancelled - Grow up! It's winter in the Northeast! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
Tom, they didn't run ONE race & decide it's not safe..they ran THREE!
Conditons were awful; they often are this time of year...
I wish the Jocks would post the cancellation vote total...
Bet the 'haves' voted "Nay"; the 5%'ers said "ON with the show!"

46zilzal
01-30-2008, 03:01 PM
Besalem PA 41
Ozone Park NY 43

Temperature wise they seem fairly close to me.

OTM Al
01-30-2008, 03:06 PM
One horse coming out of the gate was badly spooked by it. I'm in Manhattan and the wind is fierce here. Out at Aqueduct it's got to be terrible. This is dangerous conditions for man and horse today and it has nothing to do with the temperature, which otherwise is not bad at all. There are plenty of other tracks running today, so stopped complaining.

46zilzal
01-30-2008, 03:09 PM
. There are plenty of other tracks running today, so stopped complaining.
No one is complaining but listing the relative temperatures in two cities. Of course wind makes a difference.

njcurveball
01-30-2008, 03:11 PM
Besalem PA 41
Ozone Park NY 43

Yes also similar climate in Kabul, Afghanistan! They can call there to see if they need to cancel as well. :lol:

46zilzal
01-30-2008, 03:14 PM
Yes also similar climate in Kabul, Afghanistan! They can call there to see if they need to cancel as well.

as per usual not even close and last I heard they weren't racing there.

alysheba88
01-30-2008, 03:16 PM
Besalem PA 41
Ozone Park NY 43

Do you have any idea how windy it is at Aqueduct? Unless you have been there when the hawk is out dont know if it can be really understood

46zilzal
01-30-2008, 03:17 PM
Otherwise they wouldn't have canceled I suspect.

It IS usually the reason whether I like it or not.

46zilzal
01-30-2008, 03:19 PM
Do you have any idea how windy it is at Aqueduct? Unless you have been there when the hawk is out don't know if it can be really understood
Hawk is out?????

ryesteve
01-30-2008, 03:23 PM
Besalem PA 41
Ozone Park NY 43

And since the decision to cancel had nothing to do with the temperature, what's the point of the comparison?

46zilzal
01-30-2008, 03:33 PM
And since the decision to cancel had nothing to do with the temperature, what's the point of the comparison?
Seems to me that I am always hearing about wind chill factors in the winter.

Warmer wind vs. colder wind. Supposed to be a big difference.

alysheba88
01-30-2008, 03:35 PM
Hawk is out?????

Sorry. Wind

alysheba88
01-30-2008, 03:37 PM
It is very windy at Aqueduct. You have to see the way its set up. The proximity to the airport, the water, the lack of buildings around to block anything. Its all right out there. Understanding the winds and how they impact the races is probably the most important thing to understand in regards to handicapping the big A

njcurveball
01-30-2008, 03:42 PM
[QUOTE=46zilzal] not even closeQUOTE]

Ahhhh! You got the point! :ThmbUp:

ryesteve
01-30-2008, 03:45 PM
Seems to me that I am always hearing about wind chill factors in the winter.

Warmer wind vs. colder wind. Supposed to be a big difference.
When Aqueduct cancels because of wind, it's not because of the wind chill... it's because the jockeys will get blown off the horses.

jma
01-30-2008, 03:55 PM
When Aqueduct cancels because of wind, it's not because of the wind chill... it's because the jockeys will get blown off the horses.

I couldn't believe they even started that card...the wind is crazy today.

Marshall Bennett
01-30-2008, 04:06 PM
Must be quite an adventure @ 110 lbs. in such conditions . I'm glad they cancelled . The industry is going through enough without adding casualties to the list !!

richrosa
01-30-2008, 04:31 PM
I was just out not too far from Aqueduct. It is a warm strong wind. I had a sportcoat out and was not cold, but the wind blew the headphones straight outta my ears while I walked.

Gusts have to be at least 35 MPH and then some, but its not cold.

alydar
01-30-2008, 05:09 PM
You right that the temps are close. The big difference is the winds.

Aqueduct is right off the water and the winds there tend to be bad.

westny
01-30-2008, 08:17 PM
You right that the temps are close. The big difference is the winds.

Aqueduct is right off the water and the winds there tend to be bad.

Anyone who is handicapping AQU and doesn't understand wind should go to another track. AQU is next to Jamaica Bay where planes fly over for landing at LaGuardia. When the wind is bad, wind sheer is a serious problem for 767's, nevermind race horses.

kenwoodallpromos
01-30-2008, 09:31 PM
Raise the jockey weights!

PaceAdvantage
01-31-2008, 03:03 AM
Besalem PA 41
Ozone Park NY 43

Temperature wise they seem fairly close to me.The key word is wind....Aqueduct sits near Jamaica Bay, right next to Kennedy Airport....thus....windy days like Wednesday (where gusts approached FIFTY MPH) are much more intense....

garyoz
01-31-2008, 02:19 PM
AQU is next to Jamaica Bay where planes fly over for landing at LaGuardia. When the wind is bad, wind sheer is a serious problem for 767's, nevermind race horses.

I've seen heavies do go-arounds while sitting in the stands at the Big-A as they approached JFK (btw, LGA isn't near Aqueduct).

As an aside if the the Big-A were poly, we'd have all the usuals posting about how the cancellation was the result of the surface. Turfway had 35 mile an hour winds and a below-zero windchill two weeks ago--and there was much noise on this board about how it was the polytrack's fault when management cancelled.

Norm
01-31-2008, 04:09 PM
Two of the cancelled races have been re-scheduled, intact, on Saturday's card. All entries are present (so far), no entries added, post postions are different. If you invested any handicapping time in these, you get a second chance. Wednesday's 7th will appear as the 1st on Saturday and the 4th will again be the 4th.

46zilzal
01-31-2008, 04:12 PM
Two of the cancelled races have been re-scheduled, intact, on Saturday's card. All entries are present (so far), no entries added, post postions are different. If you invested any handicapping time in these, you get a second chance. Wednesday's 7th will appear as the 1st on Saturday and the 4th will again be the 4th.
Good news...thanks

Hajck Hillstrom
01-31-2008, 04:41 PM
Would the likes of Eddie Arcaro, Johnny Longdon, and Earl Sande applaud the actions of today's jockeys in canceling the cards at various tracks, or would they laugh?

David-LV
01-31-2008, 04:46 PM
I've seen heavies do go-arounds while sitting in the stands at the Big-A as they approached JFK (btw, LGA isn't near Aqueduct).

As an aside if the the Big-A were poly, we'd have all the usuals posting about how the cancellation was the result of the surface. Turfway had 35 mile an hour winds and a below-zero windchill two weeks ago--and there was much noise on this board about how it was the polytrack's fault when management cancelled.

Turfway's racing today looks like the horses are racing in a sand storm.

The kick back at this track is by far the worse of any track racing today.

When is management going to do something about it ?

_________
David

46zilzal
01-31-2008, 04:59 PM
Turfway's racing today looks like the horses are racing in a sand storm.

The kick back at this track is by far the worse of any track racing today.

When is management going to do something about it ?

_________
David

Same thing happened at Woodbine and they added Jelly Cord to bind the material that crusted together when cold.

Cold is the big problem with this stuff,not to mention the smell, I have heard.

njcurveball
01-31-2008, 05:01 PM
Cold is the big problem with this stuff,not to mention the smell, I have heard.

I bet you did not hear that from the people in California! :lol:

46zilzal
01-31-2008, 05:03 PM
I bet you did not hear that from the people in California!
As a matter of fact, a member of this board mentioned the smell in a PM.

njcurveball
01-31-2008, 05:16 PM
Cold is the big problem with this stuff .

Sorry I was on the wrong planet for your reply. To break it down to a lower grade level, your take on the "big problem" is incredibly incorrect given the situation at Santa Anita.

They say there are 14 different dimensions and I am pretty sure I am at least 3 or 4 away from you. :bang:

46zilzal
01-31-2008, 05:25 PM
Sorry I was on the wrong planet for your reply. To break it down to a lower grade level, your take on the "big problem" is incredibly incorrect given the situation at Santa Anita.

They say there are 14 different dimensions and I am pretty sure I am at least 3 or 4 away from you.

Having talked to one of the longstanding officials at Woodbine, listening to the his observations in meetings with the Polytrack manufacturer, yes one of the major problems with the stuff is it's reaction to cold.

The subject in the last couple of posts was TURFWAY, which has, UNLIKE ANITA, is Polytrack not cushion. There are differences in the installation, make-up and cushion to these differing surfaces.

toetoe
01-31-2008, 05:46 PM
zilz,

Someone mentioned it in a BM ? On his cell phone, no doubt. :D

46zilzal
01-31-2008, 06:04 PM
I hardly think this lady would lie about the odor of the track there.

Kelso
02-01-2008, 12:46 AM
Would the likes of Eddie Arcaro, Johnny Longdon, and Earl Sande applaud the actions of today's jockeys in canceling the cards at various tracks, or would they laugh?

Hajck,
Did those jockeys ride at northern tracks in the winter? I ask because I understand "winter" racing to be a relatively new facet of the sport. Of course, I might be way off in that understanding.

Thank you.

46zilzal
02-01-2008, 12:57 AM
Hajck,
Did those jockeys ride at northern tracks in the winter? I ask because I understand "winter" racing to be a relatively new facet of the sport. Of course, I might be way off in that understanding.

Thank you.
Sande ( an ex- quarter horse rider and bronco breaker) rode in the 20's and thirties, Arcaro from the 30's onward, and Longden mostly rode in the west where weather was rarely a factor. I met him at one running of the Longden 6000 at Hasting's and asked if would sign an autograph. He stuck out a hand ravaged from arthritis and said "Wish I could son." Nice fellow talked about the famous ride against Phar Lap in Caliente.

PaceAdvantage
02-01-2008, 03:09 AM
Turfway had 35 mile an hour winds and a below-zero windchill two weeks ago--and there was much noise on this board about how it was the polytrack's fault when management cancelled.Was this the day where they ran 10 out of the 11 races on the card? And the track was kicking up LOADS of polydust? A bit different situation, if you ask me....

If that's not the day you are referring to, then, to quote Ms. Emily Latella...."never mind"

thespaah
02-01-2008, 05:27 PM
Wah...It's Too Cold....Wah..It's Too Rainy...
Wah...It's Too Windy....Wah...Wah...Wah..
Grow Up, it's Winter in the Northeast!:bang:
I would hate to own a "mudder" nowadays
He'd never get to run!
Now Bob, I take it you do not work outdoors. So let me say this. It's real shitty being outside in the cold with winds blowing off a large body of water nearby.
Not only mst concerne be shown for the horses and horsemen, but the workers at the track as well. They have to travel to get there. And they have to get home.
It's just one day. So what.
You and others who lose their hair if God forbid a track elects not to run due to weather conditions sound like some of customers in my business who want their work doen no matter how bad the wetaher.
There are limits to everything.

thespaah
02-01-2008, 05:30 PM
Anyone who is handicapping AQU and doesn't understand wind should go to another track. AQU is next to Jamaica Bay where planes fly over for landing at LaGuardia. When the wind is bad, wind sheer is a serious problem for 767's, nevermind race horses.actually it's JFK...but the water in the bay can drop the temp by 10 or 15 degrees if the wind blows the right way. Heck I can remember leaving my house in NJ it would be 60 degrees at 10.30 or 11 am..Get to AQU and it's 45 or so. That happens alot in the spring when the weather warms but the water temps lag behind.