PDA

View Full Version : Brain cramp...help needed

Tom
01-29-2008, 03:08 PM
In one of Mitchel's early books - a small one - he had a method of rating speed and class, and then combining them by putting them onto the same scale.

Say your class numbers were like 80, 96, 73, 100, 85, 93, he would put them into a scale of 60 -100, and likewise with the speed ratings, so he could combine the two. All I think of is index numbers and that is not it. I want to see if there is a funstion in Access or Excel that will do that, but can't look it up because I can't remember what that was called.

headhawg
01-29-2008, 03:16 PM
I don't think that you'll find a builit-in function to do what Mitchell did, but it should be easy enough to do in Excel. Do you own Equisim v5? I wrote a Formula View template for it based on Mitchell's weighted speed/class method and you could change it around to suit your needs.

Greyfox
01-29-2008, 03:40 PM
The book was Winning Thoroughbred Strategies.

He used three sets of data to determine class.
1. earnings per start
2. win percentage
3. in the money percentage.

He then used an Index Value formula for each of these:

Index value = 60 + 40((raw score-lowest raw score)/range)

The index value scores were then converted to a final rating:

Final rating = 40 % (earning/start Index) + 30%(win index val)+(30% in$ ind val.)

Later he used other formulas for speed, added them with these class ratings, and predicted fair odds.

Final rating = 60 % Speed Class rating + 40 % Class Consistency rating.
I don't know if that helps, but that is what Mitchell did.

Tom
01-29-2008, 03:50 PM
Grey...exactly what I am looking for. I thought it was not an index number but called something else. Guess this was real big brain cramp!:rolleyes:

Thaks to you and HH!

riskman
01-29-2008, 03:55 PM
In one of Mitchel's early books - a small one - he had a method of rating speed and class, and then combining them by putting them onto the same scale.

Say your class numbers were like 80, 96, 73, 100, 85, 93, he would put them into a scale of 60 -100, and likewise with the speed ratings, so he could combine the two. All I think of is index numbers and that is not it. I want to see if there is a funstion in Access or Excel that will do that, but can't look it up because I can't remember what that was called.

Tom--In Mitchells book,Winning Thoroghbred Strategies, chapter 15, Power Ratings = composite of class consistency and speed-pace ratings.Here is what he used:

if the race is a sprint the speed-pace weighting is 60% and class consistency is 40%. If a route race, each factor is 50%.

Example--class--92 x 40=37
speed-68 x 60=41
---
78= Power Rating

Mitchell used these power ratings to develop his betting line.

riskman
01-29-2008, 03:59 PM
Tom---Sorry---did not see Greyfox post when I was typing reply. Well, at least its a confirmation.

ldiatone
01-29-2008, 04:28 PM
didn't he also write about how to get a "power rating number"? i remember doing it by hand using the "TT" "AT" and the EPS? was "computing" for an hour on 1 race.
ldiatone
ps have been viewing his old tapes, the stuff i have forgot!!

Kelso
01-29-2008, 11:40 PM
Does Mitchell's formula factor in recency at all? Does he use career data, or something such as only the past year?

Thank you.

ldiatone
01-30-2008, 03:52 PM
Does Mitchell's formula factor in recency at all? Does he use career data, or something such as only the past year?

Thank you.
i think he used recency for these calcs.