PDA

View Full Version : Cheating? Don't even think about it

46zilzal
01-29-2008, 02:58 PM
Years ago Frontline did a show called "The Other Side of the Track" which focused on many things the casual fan would not consider. One aspect of that show reviewed the NYRA's staff assigned to monitor the wagering and how their organization, and others (as they reviewed a betting scam at the Great Barrington Fair) could tell, based upon betting pattern analysis, when suspected cheating occurred. Fascinating.

I sought out our federal representative of the Department of Agriculture's Canadian Pari-Mutuel Agency (my de facto boss) and was able to "sit in" on a monitoring session.

Unlike the U.S. where state and local agencies monitor the wagering, in Canada it is federal with offices in Ottawa and a test farm in Ontario where they keep about 30 standard breds in training, and utilize them as testers in evaluation of new medication's clearance from the actively trained horse. From this data, they put out a yearly booklet for trainers to establish baselines for knowing when it was safe to administer a drug with the known assurance of the time period before the dose had cleared the system.

They establish and monitor the race video surveillance and have a betting analysis team, at each venue, that analyzes ALL wagering, both on site and from wagering hubs. They are in process of reducing the number of hubs since I was told that "the more the electronic transmission between source and destination, the more chance for electronic cheating." The analysis team provide early detection of fraudulent betting patterns with members trained in betting analysis and fraud detection.

I tracked down the chief federal regulator at our course after he had just returned from testifying as a prosecution expert witness in Arizona. He and his staff have worked on many a national syndicate betting scam including the Breeder's Cup national pick 7 a few years ago.

The paperwork and ongoing computer evaluations of betting is downright spooky. With each betting area under video surveillance and the almost instantaneous feedback from the specially designed software, the team can tell in a few minutes (and have the face that went with the bet, even if it were off track- which they can call up from another source camera off track) not only if there is a bet suggestive of fraud, but WHO made it too.

One of the current scams is teams making several large bets (like in the movie The Grifters) to create a false board favorite, then canceling them after the crowd has gotten a whiff of what they "think" is inside money and they jump on the bandwagon. The program alarms come on if these patterns are above a certain $$$ threshold, but every canceled bet is recorded (most are simple mistakes).

Two weeks ago we had a $125,000 show bet at our course traced to a track in New Jersey. BEFORE the race was run, the team had contacted the hub, identified the gambler (it was discovered he was a lawyer well known to the NJ circuit who often bets over $100, 000 to show), and was prepared to take action if necessary.

Our mutuel's manager, who works with the team, tells me that the Australian races are being besieged with major syndicates from Australia, wagering into the local, not co-mingled pools, in an attempt to get better odds away from the course. So far, they have not been all that effective since the pools here remain small, but their presence is now officially on the radar.

Want to try and cheat? The odds are really stacked against you.

BombsAway Bob
01-29-2008, 03:41 PM
A few weeks ago, I was betting Los Alamitos & was live in the early Pick-4.
As the horses were loading in the gate, the 3rd choice, the #1,flipped back in the starting gate, & it became obvious he was going to be scratched. As a result, ALL the Pick-4 action on the #1 was going to be transferred to the post-time favorite. I had singled one of the 2 big faves, the #4, so I was VERY INTERESTED to see who would wind up posttime fave & take all the #1 $$ with them.
WIN POOL right at POSTTIME: #4, $5,169 ; #7, $6,138
When they crossed wire: #4, $5,692 ; #7, $5,937
Knowing last-minute money is substantial, that means
someone cancelled a win ticket of Apprx. $500, in an effort
to change the posttime favorite. I contacted Orlando Guttierrez at Los Al of the late pool changes. HE WAS VERY HELPFUL & sent me the following E-Mail
two days later:

-----Original Message-----

From: Los Alamitos Mutuel Department [mailto:mutuels@losalamitos.com]
Sent: Monday, January 14, 2008 2:12 PM
To: Orlando Gutirrez
Subject: Re: WARNING:People screwing with Win pool@LosAl

A review has shown that there were several cancellations at several different locations, probably as a result of the scratch. Interestingly, there were more large cancels on #4 than on #7. What we found were the following cancellations:

$200 Win, Place #4
$100 Win #4
#50 Win, #4 and #7
$100 Win #7.
He thanked me for contacting him & told me to get in touch anytime something didn't 'smell right'. It gives you added confidence when putting your $$ into the pool!-Bob www.myspace.com/bobgrant3 (http://www.myspace.com/bobgrant3)

highnote
01-29-2008, 06:34 PM
Two weeks ago we had a $125,000 show bet at our course traced to a track in New Jersey. BEFORE the race was run, the team had contacted the hub, identified the gambler (it was discovered he was a lawyer well known to the NJ circuit who often bets over $100, 000 to show), and was prepared to take action if necessary.

How often is often? How many good opportunities are there to bet $100,000 to show?

It's probably good business for the tracks, though. 100,000 would generate a nice commission.

46zilzal
01-29-2008, 06:37 PM
How often is often? How many good opportunities are there to bet $100,000 to show?

They said it was usually a monthly phenom with this guy.

I heard that they were amazed that a single fellow carries around, what amounts to a suitcase full of money, without an obvious body guard.

Hosshead
01-29-2008, 07:06 PM
46 - What do you mean "ready to take action"? You mean if the guy tried to cancel his bet? Is there a law against it?

With all that surveillance maybe they can get a video of him on the bridge. (sooner ot later).

Years ago (before internet wagering) I was at Los Al one night and was told by the teller that I couldn't cancel a bet over $50. for the reasons you mentioned.
So for example, if you wanted to make a $200 win bet with the option to cancel, you would need 4 $50 bets.

lamboguy
01-29-2008, 07:59 PM
UBET allows you to cancel up to $3000 on a race anytime. odds are constantly being manipulated in many racetracks today. some people can cancel tickets up to 10 seconds into the race incase the horse he has brakes bad.
there is nothing fair for legitamate horse-players.

why do you think the handles are dropping like a rock? tracknet is only one of the many reasons.

MR. RICHARD PERLOFF OF TVG, backed off a show betting challenge. I personally bet small amounts on minus pools with rebates and show a profit

46zilzal
01-29-2008, 08:51 PM
46 - What do you mean "ready to take action"? You mean if the guy tried to cancel his bet? Is there a law against it?

I am quoting the gentlemen who told me what happened. I have no idea other than they wanted to know if it was legitimate.

Ron
01-30-2008, 07:59 AM
I am quoting the gentlemen who told me what happened. I have no idea other than they wanted to know if it was legitimate.

Yes, but if it is perfectly legal to cancel a bet, then what action can be taken?

njcurveball
01-30-2008, 09:47 AM
why do you think the handles are dropping like a rock? tracknet is only one of the many reasons.

Are you stating that one of even the top 5 reasons is ticket canceling?

rokitman
01-30-2008, 10:10 AM
Yes, but if it is perfectly legal to cancel a bet, then what action can be taken?Sounds like your asking him to prove a negative. Your negative.

Without knowing a thing about that kind of law, I'm sure there is action a lawyer can take when he is arbitrarily treated like a criminal when he is not. Especially, when it could have cost him money.

46zilzal
01-30-2008, 10:43 AM
Yes, but if it is perfectly legal to cancel a bet, then what action can be taken?
Repetition of same will send up a red flag and that bettor, or more likely group of bettors, will receive a visit from the betting analysis team with a warning. Second time, the result is banning from the course.

kenwoodallpromos
01-30-2008, 06:03 PM
Los Alamitos has zero cancel delay according to TRA.