PDA

View Full Version : Sunshine Millions At Gulfstream a great day!

onefast99
01-28-2008, 08:07 AM
This ones for all the people who seem to think Gulfstream Park is not the track it once was since its tansformation two seasons ago. First and foremost the track is one of the nicest tracks in the USA today. The new owner boxes right in front of the Ten Palms restaurant are the best I have ever encountered at any race track to date. The service is second to none, each box gives you a spectacular view of the racetrack and the betting windows are less then fifty yards away. The food is much better then any of the NY or NJ tracks. I watched some of the fans by the newly designed tiki hut bar and they were all enjoying themselves while music blaired away as well as the fans on the rail. The new "shops at Gulfstream" is fully under construction in front of the track. None of the construction seemed to bother the patrons as there was still plenty of parking and no traffic issues before or after the races. Despite finishing 6th in the F&M distaff we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves and next year we will bring all of our horses back to Gulfstream Park! In fact we are in the process of moving six of them there this week. I hope everyone gets a chance to visit this faciltity before posting negative comments about it.:ThmbUp:

DanG
01-28-2008, 08:17 AM
This ones for all the people who seem to think Gulfstream Park is not the track it once was since its tansformation two seasons ago. First and foremost the track is one of the nicest tracks in the USA today. The new owner boxes right in front of the Ten Palms restaurant are the best I have ever encountered at any race track to date. The service is second to none, each box gives you a spectacular view of the racetrack and the betting windows are less then fifty yards away. The food is much better then any of the NY or NJ tracks. I watched some of the fans by the newly designed tiki hut bar and they were all enjoying themselves while music blaired away as well as the fans on the rail. The new "shops at Gulfstream" is fully under construction in front of the track. None of the construction seemed to bother the patrons as there was still plenty of parking and no traffic issues before or after the races. Despite finishing 6th in the F&M distaff we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves and next year we will bring all of our horses back to Gulfstream Park! In fact we are in the process of moving six of them there this week. I hope everyone gets a chance to visit this faciltity before posting negative comments about it.:ThmbUp:
Been there almost every year for the last 20 + years and do not agree with assessment of the track…but…to each his own.

As far as your mare is concerned it looked like another hard luck trip from where I sat. Drawing the 9-hole certainly didn’t help your cause. Check out the winning posts at 9f this meet and I think that’s 7 or 8 straight for the 1 or 2 boxes.

Glad you enjoyed yourself and thanks for sharing your views on what’s its like to own a nice horse in major races.

All the best… :ThmbUp:

onefast99
01-28-2008, 09:56 AM
Been there almost every year for the last 20 + years and do not agree with assessment of the track…but…to each his own.

As far as your mare is concerned it looked like another hard luck trip from where I sat. Drawing the 9-hole certainly didn’t help your cause. Check out the winning posts at 9f this meet and I think that’s 7 or 8 straight for the 1 or 2 boxes.

Glad you enjoyed yourself and thanks for sharing your views on what’s its like to own a nice horse in major races.

All the best… :ThmbUp:
Thanks! You need to get down to GP it is a pretty cool place. The post didnt help either did Bayous Lassie erratic run in the stretch taking the rail away from us and also going wide after that. Great day of racing, Ginger Punch is the real deal.

rrbauer
01-28-2008, 11:27 AM
...the betting windows are less then fifty yards away.

What! No tiny-tim terminals for the boxes?

onefast99
01-28-2008, 11:39 AM
What! No tiny-tim terminals for the boxes?
Yes they had the terminals but I like using the tellers, keeps America working!:)

point given
01-28-2008, 12:20 PM

Most folks who have visited write negative comments for a reason. I think they took out 200 of the 900 seats for the 18 boxs which seat 6. Box goes for $300 for a weekday $15k for the season. The pidgeons are happy ! The Tiki bar is a redone tent from the tent city days. Nice touch. Didn't see any limbo competition or volley ball games though. Just kick back with a brewski and watch the race on the video screen. AH, a day at the races :lol:

onefast99
01-28-2008, 12:33 PM
It looked as if there was more construction going on about 100' from the finish line by the Tiki hut, maybe they are putting more seats there? It looked as if everyone was having a great time. Weather was perfect and the track looked in the best shape I have seen in three seasons.

point given
01-28-2008, 09:19 PM
It looked as if there was more construction going on about 100' from the finish line by the Tiki hut, maybe they are putting more seats there? It looked as if everyone was having a great time. Weather was perfect and the track looked in the best shape I have seen in three seasons.

Ah yah ! Another tiki hut, serving Franks Energy Drink, which he markets as; "keeps you yodeling all night long " - can't make this stuff up ! Maybe its those Magna stock holders who are doing the yodeling though. Can't see much from down there except the video screen and the gallop out, as the apron is flat and doesnot get higher the further back you go, Good place for track workers to take a smoke .
Glad you had a good time . Don't you miss the roar of the crowd though ?

cnollfan
01-28-2008, 10:43 PM

Gulfstream is a nice track to visit, if you happen to own a horse in a $500,000 race. If you're an average racing fan, though, they prefer not to be bothered.

onefast99
01-29-2008, 08:11 AM
Gulfstream is a nice track to visit, if you happen to own a horse in a $500,000 race. If you're an average racing fan, though, they prefer not to be bothered.
I know people look at what Frank has done and they wonder why the reduction of seating for the $2 gambler, I think Frank may be caught up in the building frenzy going on just 1 mile away on Ocean ave. and may be looking to cater to a more upscale clientele which I believe is a mistake especially as the economy may get worse before it gets better. I think this is evidenced by his building the shops at Gulfstream and allowing Trump to come in and advertise Trump Hollywood during the races and also the night before in a Sunshine Millions party at Trumps sales office across the street from the new development. Eventually the track will be a fun place for everyone to go to. The big question is when?

jillybeans
01-29-2008, 08:36 AM
This should be Gulfstream Parks last year in operation. And your job at gulfstream park is?:D

P.S. Anyone who posts and offers an excuse for Frank Stronach is an employee of MEC Corporation.

onefast99
01-29-2008, 08:45 AM
This should be Gulfstream Parks last year in operation. And your job at gulfstream park is?:D

P.S. Anyone who posts and offers an excuse for Frank Stronach is an employee of MEC Corporation.
I guess you have never been to this facility and no I am not someone who works in the horse racing industry, just someone who appreciates a beautiful facility compared to the NY tracks especially Aqueduct! Whats your favorite track?

cnollfan
01-29-2008, 09:08 AM
I know people look at what Frank has done and they wonder why the reduction of seating for the $2 gambler,

"Reduction" would be one thing, but the correct word is "elimination."

FWIW, tracks I enjoy visiting are Oaklawn Park, Hawthorne, Arlington, and Canterbury.

cnollfan
01-29-2008, 09:10 AM
p.s. Also Keeneland, Churchill, and Beulah.

onefast99
01-29-2008, 10:33 AM
p.s. Also Keeneland, Churchill, and Beulah.
Kentucky tracks are nice, Saratoga is my favorite along with,yes, Gulfstream and Monmouth. I didnt like any of the Maryland tracks or Delaware. Belmont is ok also. Good luck!

cnollfan
01-29-2008, 01:58 PM
Agree, Maryland tracks are dreadful. I have a theory: they want slots, and they are afraid that if they make the tracks at all appealing, people might go to the races anyway and then they would have a harder time selling slots to the legislature. By keeping the places grim and rundown they make sure that hardly anybody will go. That way they can then go to the legislature with their hand out and say "we need slots to save the industry."

I was at Laurel a couple of years ago in August, 90 degree day, and the glass-enclosed stands were not air conditioned. I miss Havre de Grace.

onefast99
01-29-2008, 02:22 PM
I was at Laurel three years back the day before the Preakness we had a horse running named She is raging they let the 12th race go on the turf with 3 inches of water on it, just a real stupid thing to do.