PDA

View Full Version : Trevor D. Blows Another Call

levinmpa
01-26-2008, 11:13 PM
Once again, Trevor Denman shows he has "lost a step", completely blowing the stretch call of the Sunshine Millions Classic today. He called Electrify as the horse going best all the way down the stretch, when in fact it was Go Between. Electrify was not anywhere near the front or in contention for that matter. Trevor just called the wrong horse, and only corrected himself as the winner approached the wire.

"Homeward bound Electrify strikes the front. On the inside Celtic Dreaming. Electrify, Celtic Dreaming the two that go on with it. A 1/16th of a mile to go, but it's Electrify doing the better of the two Go Between going on and Go Between is gonna win it. Go Between has won it"

In my opinion, Trevor has dropped a few pegs from the top or near the Top. I have always preferred Tom Durkin, and I wish the powers that be at the Breeders' Cup and ESPN would get him back behind the mike. I have nothing against Trevor, but he's had a few too many mistakes in big races the last couple of years. This was worst than the '06 BC Juvinile when he didn't call Street Sense until he was 100 yards from the wire. He just didn't see Street Sense that day. Today, he called the wrong horse the entire stretch drive.

Ron
01-26-2008, 11:28 PM
I was kinda drunk and I thought I might of hit according to his call. I had a few folks over for a party and had my back to the tv. Oh well.

Zaf
01-26-2008, 11:28 PM
Yeah, I am a huge Trevor fan, but you are right. He's choked one too many times on big days.

Z

RXB
01-27-2008, 03:54 AM
He didn't call the Bob Black Jack race or the last race very well either. But everyone has the occasional bad day at the office.

Murph
01-27-2008, 05:38 AM
Electrify spit the bit with a 1/4 mile to go.

DanG
01-27-2008, 06:27 AM
You could count on one hand the calls Trevor would miss a year when I first heard him.

I hope is health is all right (I’m being serious) because while he’s clearly a hall of fame announcer he is not as accurate as he once was.

levinmpa
01-27-2008, 07:41 AM
You could count on one hand the calls Trevor would miss a year when I first heard him.

I hope is health is all right (I’m being serious) because while he’s clearly a hall of fame announcer he is not as accurate as he once was.

That is really my point here. I too believe he's a "once a generation" kind of announcer, and have always enjoyed him. He's still very good, but not what he once was. The mistake on Millions day did not come in a 25K Maiden Claimer. It came in the day's biggest race, when he should have been at his best.

Greyfox
01-27-2008, 08:22 AM
What a bunch of pious tripe from members on this board.
You're all acting "as if" none of you have ever made a mistake at your job of employment. Why do you think pencils have erasers?
Trevor was and is one of the absolute top announcers in the game of racing.
He is also human. To err is human. :bang:

cj
01-27-2008, 08:27 AM
What a bunch of pious tripe from members on this board.
You're all acting "as if" none of you have ever made a mistake at your job of employment. Why do you think pencils have erasers?
Trevor was and is one of the absolute top announcers in the game of racing.
He is also human. To err is human. :bang:

We all do make mistakes. However, this is far from an isolated incedent. It is a tough job, and maybe he just doesn't have it anymore. Repeated mistakes, especially when it matters most, get you fired from most places of employment.

stuball
01-27-2008, 09:00 AM
I had Go Between and saw him moving up on the turn
I was sure he was going to be there in the mix...when I did not here his name I figured him must have got blocked or something.....could not make out the numbers till near the finish line....went from confused to happy..He shuda told me
..had a very good day thanks to cj's figs.. :jump:

Stuball

Greyfox
01-27-2008, 09:26 AM
We all do make mistakes. However, this is far from an isolated incedent. .

incedent????
Even cj makes mistakes. He just doesn't have 400,000 people cling to his every word to point out his errors. :lol:

jma
01-27-2008, 09:46 AM
incedent????
Even cj makes mistakes. He just doesn't have 400,000 people cling to his every word to point out his errors. :lol:

The difference being that everyone knew what CJ meant, while calling the wrong horse led to NO ONE knowing what Trevor meant...

Si2see
01-27-2008, 10:37 AM
I was looking 10 wide for electrify because I knew he wasn't up front with sunriver and the 5... this is the first time I have heard him mess up huge like this

jballscalls
01-27-2008, 10:48 AM
while i understand people love to get on these boards and try and bring someone down, you have to realize that when an incorrect call is made, nobody, NOBODY feels worse than the announcer.

And why i never would call an announcer out on a board, ask ANY one of us, and i can almost guarentee we've botched something in a big race of some sort. it just happens, move on.

judd
01-27-2008, 10:49 AM
do you realize how hard it must be to call a race
knowing the names of the horses when they are all bunched up

TravisVOX
01-27-2008, 10:59 AM
we've botched something in a big race of some sort.

Amen.

DanG
01-27-2008, 11:10 AM
When I saw the title of this thread I thought twice about posting because I have so much respect for Trevor’s talent and as a person.

Calling out an announcer for a mistake is ridiculous, but those who have heard Trevor for many years are ‘concerned for him…that’s all. The rest is pure hyperbole.

bigmack
01-27-2008, 11:12 AM
As precise as Trevor has been in the past (and it was almost remarkable how consummate he was) any flubs stand out as his measure is his prime.

Enjoyed a dual I'view with he & Durkin a while back:

HORSEPLAYER MAGAZINE: Is there one particular race call that stands out that you would like to have back?
DURKIN: I guess you mean my biggest screw up?
DENMAN: (interrupting, laughing) This is the worst question you could ever ask an announcer, you know that? It's like asking a boxer, “Now which knockout was the worst you ever had?”
DURKIN: I think the second Breeders' Cup race I ever called. The first was Chief's Crown winning; that was fine, I was very happy to get that out of the way. But the second race I didn't call very well when Outstandingly won and Pirate's Glow was involved with Fran's Valentine in a bumping incident. It was my second call and I was like, “Oh, God, if you're going to be like this, go get your teaching certificate.”
DENMAN: I was here 10 days my first year at Santa Anita and Sandy Hawley rode a horse named Shanekite. At the sixteenth pole, he was four clear. I said, “Shanekite and Sandy Hawley have this one in the bag,” and the son of a gun folded up on me…Kangaroo Court and Joe Steiner came and caught him at the wire by a nose. Nobody blamed Sandy Hawley. They all blamed me.

HORSEPLAYER MAGAZINE: Do you handicap a race's “shape” beforehand?
DENMAN: Definitely. It's suicide to predict how it's going to set up, but I always use the example of Eddie Delahoussaye. You always handicapped Eddie's horses to know that you don't write him off even if he's 20 lengths behind. That's just an example, but I definitely do try to set the race up.
DURKIN: I have a little chart that I fill out. I have As, Bs, C-plusses, Cs, Ms and Ts. As are always front-runners, Bs like to press the pace, C-plusses are closer to the pace, Cs are close to the pace, Ms are in the middle of the pack and Ts are in the back. But, as Trevor said, you're stilly to think it's totally predictable.

HORSEPLAYER MAGAZINE: What's the best horse name you can recall or most creative?
DURKIN: It's the horse than ennobles the name, not the other way around. You could have a horse named Mister Schlock and, if he won the Triple Crown, Mister Schlock would be a noble name.
DENMAN: Easy Goer was just such a beautiful name. Easy Goer, it just sits so nicely on you.
DURKIN: The most-clever name I ever heard was Frotage, who was by Broad Brush. It was a word I had never heard of, so I looked it up in the dictionary and it says, “Sexual gratification by rubbing one self up against another person.” Well, she was a daughter of Broad Brush, after all. :lol:
DENMAN: No, you've gotta be kidding! Obviously the Jockey Club never looked that one up.

http://www.ntra.com/content.aspx?type=feature&id=14687

cj
01-27-2008, 11:23 AM
incedent????

I'm not getting paid to spell on the PA message board. When I write a report at work, that doesn't happen.

Marshall Bennett
01-27-2008, 11:36 AM
I've always felt that Tom Durkin was by far the best in the business . I remember in the Breeder's Cup Distaff two years ago Pine Island broke down near the first turn , I missed it when it happened live , Denman said nothing during the race . When the pack crossed the wire I was looking for Pine Island and saw nothing . It wasn't until the cameras showed the horse going down on a replay that I knew what had happened .

DJofSD
01-27-2008, 12:08 PM
do you realize how hard it must be to call a race
knowing the names of the horses when they are all bunched up

Some years ago at Del Mar, on one of the upper floors they had a booth set up for you to try your hand at calling a race. Never tried myself but I can recall hearing from those that did after the fact, it ain't any where as easy as you think it is.

cj
01-27-2008, 12:18 PM
Some years ago at Del Mar, on one of the upper floors they had a booth set up for you to try your hand at calling a race. Never tried myself but I can recall hearing from those that did after the fact, it ain't any where as easy as you think it is.

Nobody has said it is easy. Neither are hundreds of other jobs. And when you screw up at your job, most people hear about it. Nobody has said he should be taken out and lynched because he screwed up a call. He shouldn't be patted on the back either.

jballscalls
01-27-2008, 12:21 PM
I've always felt that Tom Durkin was by far the best in the business . I remember in the Breeder's Cup Distaff two years ago Pine Island broke down near the first turn , I missed it when it happened live , Denman said nothing during the race . When the pack crossed the wire I was looking for Pine Island and saw nothing . It wasn't until the cameras showed the horse going down on a replay that I knew what had happened .

this is atleast the 8th time on a forum i've seen this post!! when you are calling a race through a pair of binoculars, especially high powered ones, you can probably only see 8 to 10 lengths as they are going down the backstretch. Trevor had already called Pine Island and had just gone back to the leaders when she went down. He had no way of seeing it happen. By the time he would have gotten back to the trailers again they would have been going into the far turn, a crucial point in a race. and he doesnt have time to look up and down the backstretch to see where she was. then someone would have complained about him not calling the race upfront. Trevor did nothing wrong on that call, because he didnt see it happen. And if Tom Durkin would have been calling the race, or vic or whoever, they very well could have not seen it as well.

thank you

speldedo
01-27-2008, 12:39 PM
Don't say lynched - Jesse Jackson will start posting here if your not careful!

Marshall Bennett
01-27-2008, 12:40 PM
this is atleast the 8th time on a forum i've seen this post!! when you are calling a race through a pair of binoculars, especially high powered ones, you can probably only see 8 to 10 lengths as they are going down the backstretch. Trevor had already called Pine Island and had just gone back to the leaders when she went down. He had no way of seeing it happen. By the time he would have gotten back to the trailers again they would have been going into the far turn, a crucial point in a race. and he doesnt have time to look up and down the backstretch to see where she was. then someone would have complained about him not calling the race upfront. Trevor did nothing wrong on that call, because he didnt see it happen. And if Tom Durkin would have been calling the race, or vic or whoever, they very well could have not seen it as well.

thank you
He missed it none the less . Make excuses all day long if you like . The horse was either first or second favorite to win a major race and the track announcer lost her ... plain & simple !!

jballscalls
01-27-2008, 12:44 PM
He missed it none the less . Make excuses all day long if you like . The horse was either first or second favorite to win a major race and the track announcer lost her ... plain & simple !!

not making excuses, citing facts sir. plain and simple.

TravisVOX
01-27-2008, 01:16 PM
It's awfully difficult to catch something that happens in the back of the field, while you're looking at the front. The first announcer that can see everything 100% of the time might in fact be God himself calling the race.

toetoe
01-27-2008, 02:07 PM
DanG pretty much speaks for me on this. The guy was so good, it should be pointed out when he comes down to Earth, but sans vitriol.

I do NOT agree about Durkin. He never did much for me. Solid, but not world class.

I submit that those who defend announcers will NEVER find a point at which they'll say, "Okay, he really blew it." The "do it better or be quiet" and "say something nice or nothing at all" dicta will always be trotted out.

Bigmack,

I know I can bust your huevos about this:

" ... interview with he (sic :eek: ) and Durkin." :p

jognlope
01-27-2008, 03:06 PM
I enjoy the Spa so much because of Durkin. He does get emotional with a breakdown. You might here him give a bit sigh or his voice shake a little. I wonder what happened to the Pine Island tribute on youtube, it was a real tearjerker.

bigmack
01-27-2008, 03:59 PM
Bigmack,
I know I can bust your huevos about this:
" ... interview with he (sic :eek: ) and Durkin." :p
Consider the huevos busted flat in Baton Rouge, Toes. Imagine the egg on me leprechaun face.

(cue Rocky theme)
In my shame I still hear a little voice. A victorious voice. A reasurringly triumphant voice.

The year: 1970. The place: Arlington, IL. The team: CNeal Realty. The Pitcher: Lil'Mack. Three no-nitters pitched in a single season reminds me that despite my err, at one time, in the Surburban villages of Chicago, I was one of the greats, by gum. (batting avg. <.200 purposefully omitted)

PaceAdvantage
01-27-2008, 04:09 PM
I was looking 10 wide for electrify because I knew he wasn't up front with sunriver and the 5... this is the first time I have heard him mess up huge like thisI suppose you weren't watching or have never watched, the 2006 BC Juvenile.....if you do watch it, let me know when he finally acknowledges that Street Sense is in contention....

juanepstein
01-27-2008, 04:21 PM
what a stupid thread.

Ron
01-27-2008, 05:19 PM
what a stupid thread.

what a stupid post.

toetoe
01-27-2008, 05:26 PM
Ep Steen,

So your official horse for this thread would be Ravel ? Hmm. :confused:

toetoe
01-27-2008, 05:33 PM
With apologies to Michael Wrona, I predict that Tom and Trev will be with us longer than any mother-in-law.

PaceAdvantage
01-27-2008, 05:44 PM
what a stupid thread.How so? It's a news report with commentary added. If you look at any news website these days, that's all the rage. Report the news, then allow for comments....

Tom
01-27-2008, 06:25 PM
Trevor has a simple job - call the races and let the public knwo whre the horses are. If he can't do it, then he shouldn't be in that job. Screwing up multiple big races is not acceptable. This is a game where you don't rest on your laurels. Or your pimlicos. :rolleyes::D

ceejay
01-27-2008, 06:31 PM
It's awfully difficult to catch something that happens in the back of the field, while you're looking at the front. The first announcer that can see everything 100% of the time might in fact be God himself calling the race.
Hey Travis, are you coming back to LaD this year for TB's?

TravisVOX
01-27-2008, 06:46 PM
Hey Travis, are you coming back to LaD this year for TB's?

Yes, sir!

JustRalph
01-27-2008, 06:52 PM
Hey Travis..........remember this thread, 30 years from now.

At 24 years old.........your mind is sharp........your reflexes are sharp.........if you are still calling in your fifties.............it won't be the same........... :lol:

Trevor is in his mid fifties now...................I give him a pass..........unless he starts doing this all the time............

NTamm1215
01-27-2008, 07:13 PM
Hey Travis..........remember this thread, 30 years from now.

At 24 years old.........your mind is sharp........your reflexes are sharp.........if you are still calling in your fifties.............it won't be the same........... :lol:

Trevor is in his mid fifties now...................I give him a pass..........unless he starts doing this all the time............

Travis has hired me as a consultant to tell him when he has "jumped the shark" in his career and has thus lost a step. I tried to tell him that it was last week, but he wouldn't have it.

NT

Bruddah
01-27-2008, 07:16 PM
because I have a hard time with their accents. To me it gets in the way of me understanding their calls.

I truly believe, it just a change in the style of Thorughbred Racing. In recent years the "hoity toity's" of the American racing world have decided the whole Industry needs to be more "acceptable" to the English and Europeans counterparts. The whole "Global" push in economics. Therfore, they have set out to transform it to meet "Global" acceptance. Hence, we get artificial surfaces and race callers with accents.

I have to laugh watching this not so subtle transformation back to an influence our fore fathers fought desperately to remove. These industry "hoity toity's" should come to the realization, they will always be unacceptable dirty Americans, to this group of "Global" Aristocracy.

Stop ruining American racing by chasing this silly little dream. American Racing was far superior in the past. Then our racing aristocracy ( :D ) started wanting to step up in the world. (BULLSH*T) pure and simple.

v j stauffer
01-27-2008, 08:35 PM
Gabby Johnson is right about what Howard Johnson just said.

DanG
01-27-2008, 10:22 PM
Gabby Johnson is right about what Howard Johnson just said.
LOL!!! :lol:

I’ll toast that Vic…

http://movie-chess.hemobile.de/7079/Blazing%20Saddles%201.jpg

Dan Montilion
01-28-2008, 02:54 AM
Damn MUTE button...

samyn on the green
01-28-2008, 03:26 AM
We can all count our lucky stars that Denman choose to be a racecaller and not a air transport pilot. It seems like whenever Denman is on national TV he makes a high profile mistake. When the pressure is on a pilot there is no excuse when they blow the landing. Denman seems to have spent too much time in laid back California and has developed a distaste for preparation. He is a very good caller but he seems to fail when the pressure is on.

bigmack
01-28-2008, 03:35 AM
Denman seems to have spent too much time in laid back California and has developed a distaste for preparation.
Yeah, I think you nailed it, Einstein.

Preparation takes a back seat here because it's "laid back". :lol:

Si2see
01-28-2008, 08:26 AM
I suppose you weren't watching or have never watched, the 2006 BC Juvenile.....if you do watch it, let me know when he finally acknowledges that Street Sense is in contention....

PA, I remember the race but not the call.....

cj
01-28-2008, 09:06 AM
PA, I remember the race but not the call.....

It isn't that hard to find online if you really want to see it.

cj's dad
01-28-2008, 09:43 AM
incedent????

You have TD making 8000 calls a year ??? That would be 22 calls a day without a break. Hmmmm....

His phone bill must be really high.

David-LV
01-28-2008, 10:07 AM
We can all count our lucky stars that Denman choose to be a racecaller and not a air transport pilot. It seems like whenever Denman is on national TV he makes a high profile mistake. When the pressure is on a pilot there is no excuse when they blow the landing. Denman seems to have spent too much time in laid back California and has developed a distaste for preparation. He is a very good caller but he seems to fail when the pressure is on.

If Denman was not prepared we would have an error in a lot more of his race calls.

I am not a fan of California racing, but I still have to say the one thing that they have are the very best racecallers in the industry.

Every race caller makes a mistake every now an then.

Why can't we focus on the many thousands of accurate calls instead of the occasional misstep.

Being perfect is not a prerequisite for the job, so let's give him a pass on this one.

BTW: The pressure is on each and every race.

_________
David

jognlope
01-28-2008, 10:17 AM
Fairness would say that since a person's job is in public for all to see, that we would be a little more lenient. Who cares if he makes a mistake or two? I don't. You still get your money don't you.

Bruddah
01-28-2008, 10:26 AM
Fairness would say that since a person's job is in public for all to see, that we would be a little more lenient. Who cares if he makes a mistake or two? I don't. You still get your money don't you.

Grasshopper, He who would exceed to greatness, much will be expected :cool: :lol:

Greyfox
01-28-2008, 10:50 AM
You have TD making 8000 calls a year ??? That would be 22 calls a day without a break. Hmmmm....

His phone bill must be really high.

Yeah, the acorn didn't fall far from the tree. I'd stick up for my kid too.
An announcer makes 4 calls per horse per race. Get it?

cj's dad
01-28-2008, 11:22 AM
Yeah, the acorn didn't fall far from the tree. I'd stick up for my kid too.
An announcer makes 4 calls per horse per race. Get it?

So, the track announcer should say something like this,

" and now, ladies and gentlemen, let's go to Trevor Denman for the 4 calls of the race":lol: :lol: :D :lol: :lol:

Greyfox
01-28-2008, 11:51 AM
:ThmbUp: At least you're thinking "outside the box."

PaceAdvantage
01-28-2008, 04:59 PM
PA, I remember the race but not the call.....Then you're in for a treat!

46zilzal
01-28-2008, 05:09 PM
Old Clem McCarthy was the guru of radio race calling and other sports but the Preakness, called wrong on coast to coast radio, just about sealed his fate.

from Wikipedia:McCarthy is also known for having mis-called the 1947 Preakness Stakes when a crowd standing on a platform blocked his view of the far turn, just as two horses with similar silks switched places. (Chic Anderson, one of McCarthy's most famous descendants as a track announcer, made a similar mistake in the 1975 Kentucky Derby.) As with Anderson later, McCarthy's quick and humble admission of the mistake helped the criticism eventually blow over.

delayjf
01-28-2008, 06:44 PM
I suppose you weren't watching or have never watched, the 2006 BC Juvenile.....if you do watch it, let me know when he finally acknowledges that Street Sense is in contention....
I don't think anyone would argue the point that BC 2006 was not his best day. Personally I think his inactivity leading up to the BC simply put him behind the 8 ball so to speak. Another factor which may have affected his BC calls might have been the large BC fields as opposed to the small fields that permeate So Cal racing. There’s a big difference calling a 6-7 horse field and a 14 horse field. And like any skill, you snooze, you lose. Of course he doesn't have that excuse on Sat., but who knows maybe he was not feeling well that day. I certainly hope he’s OK. Whether you prefer Denman or Durkin it's really a matter of style. But racing needs both men IMHO.

DanG
01-28-2008, 08:15 PM
I have been the biggest critic of Wrona and Denman because I have a hard time with their accents. To me it gets in the way of me understanding their calls.

I truly believe, it just a change in the style of Thorughbred Racing. In recent years the "hoity toity's" of the American racing world have decided the whole Industry needs to be more "acceptable" to the English and Europeans counterparts. The whole "Global" push in economics. Therfore, they have set out to transform it to meet "Global" acceptance. Hence, we get artificial surfaces and race callers with accents.

I have to laugh watching this not so subtle transformation back to an influence our fore fathers fought desperately to remove. These industry "hoity toity's" should come to the realization, they will always be unacceptable dirty Americans, to this group of "Global" Aristocracy.

Stop ruining American racing by chasing this silly little dream. American Racing was far superior in the past. Then our racing aristocracy ( :D ) started wanting to step up in the world. (BULLSH*T) pure and simple.
I had to quote and read this again for it to sink in…

:bang: :bang: :bang:

OK…I can continue breathing again.

howardjim
01-28-2008, 09:27 PM
Dan,

I read little before your post but continue to admire what seems to be your adherence to "the good fight".

The nature of criticism is so frought with agenda, I have knowingly decided to pass.

Best,

levinmpa
01-28-2008, 10:23 PM
Wow. I've been offline since last night. I never expected 4 pages of posts when I started this thread. This is obviously a subject that people have opinions about. Trevor certainly has many loyal fans. In fact, I think his brilliance and popularity makes it difficult for him to get criticized. I listened to 6 horse racing radio shows on Sunday as I do every Sunday, 4 from So. Cal and 2 from Las Vegas. I heard only 1 mention of Trevor's miscall. John Kelly host of Vegas Track Talk brought it up during a discussion with Professor Gordon Jones and Patrick McQuiggan. Not a word about it from Mike Willman, Roger Stein, Brad Free, Ralph Siraco or Felix Taverna, who hosted the other shows. I think because Trevor is so popular, they chose not to bring it up. Now, I've heard many of these same shows criticize the other So. Cal track announcer, Vic Stauffer, so it's not like they never talk about announcers or announcers mistakes.

cj
02-10-2008, 09:01 AM
Another fine piece of work by Trevor in the 4th yesterday.

Please, if you need a good laugh, watch and listen to the replay of this race.

boomman
02-10-2008, 11:32 AM
Wow. I've been offline since last night. I never expected 4 pages of posts when I started this thread. This is obviously a subject that people have opinions about. Trevor certainly has many loyal fans. In fact, I think his brilliance and popularity makes it difficult for him to get criticized. I listened to 6 horse racing radio shows on Sunday as I do every Sunday, 4 from So. Cal and 2 from Las Vegas. I heard only 1 mention of Trevor's miscall. John Kelly host of Vegas Track Talk brought it up during a discussion with Professor Gordon Jones and Patrick McQuiggan. Not a word about it from Mike Willman, Roger Stein, Brad Free, Ralph Siraco or Felix Taverna, who hosted the other shows. I think because Trevor is so popular, they chose not to bring it up. Now, I've heard many of these same shows criticize the other So. Cal track announcer, Vic Stauffer, so it's not like they never talk about announcers or announcers mistakes.

levinmpa: As a track announcer myself for the last 25 years, I can't tell you how many mistakes I've made, but I guess because I wasn't on network television at the time, many of my mistakes "flew under the radar".:) But from an "insiders" prospective, I can tell you and everyone on this board that the track announcers I know (and I know the majority of them very well) are among the most prepared individuals I have ever seen. In Trevor's case, I have been with him in the booth at DelMar on a number of occasions and he guest announced with me at Albuquerque and I can tell you that he does NOTHING else (even hates to answer the phone) in the last 10 minutes prior to a race but look at and study the horses. I have seen a number of other announcers do that as well, and as for me personally, I find "focusing" in the last few minutes before they walk up to the gate works best for me. If people think we just pick up a program and call a race with no preparation, they are sadly mistaken. As for Trevor's missing Street Sense in The Breeder's Cup, I'm sure No ONE feels worse about that than he does, and having to deal with the same color saddle cloths myself during night racing @ Retama, I can tell you first hand how difficult that was, especially when I struggled with an entry in exact same silks and equipment in one of the Texas Thoroughbred Stakes a few years ago. And as far as several of the gentlemen listed above (a couple of which are good friends of mine), don't think for a minute that they won't hesitate to criticize any announcer, in fact one of them wrote an entire column in the DRF a few years ago bashing the then announcer at Hollywood Park. We all agree that we want the announcer to get it perfect everytime (and believe me the track announcers want that as badly as you do) but that just isn't a logical mindset..........

Boomer

levinmpa
02-10-2008, 01:44 PM
My whole point in creating this thread was just to express my opinion that Trevor is not the Trevor he was 20+ years ago. I don't expect the guy to never make a mistake. It just seems to me that if you have a reputation of being the best, you should be at your best at the most important times. Trevor seems like one guy that is beyond criticism for whatever reason. Those in So. Cal that are in a position to point out mistakes by others, never point out mistakes made by Trevor. I enjoy the guy and always have, but he's not what he once was. Another example pointed out by CJ in Saturday's 4th. Stop the Humor became No More Humor for 2 calls and then became Stop the Humor again. At least he called the correct horse in front, although it seemed he thought the 11, Burnt would go by them all at the furlong pole. I don't mean to nitpick, but he's no longer the God of race announcers.

How about John Dooley's call of the Risen Star yesterday. Loved that call.

David-LV
02-10-2008, 02:06 PM
My whole point in creating this thread was just to express my opinion that Trevor is not the Trevor he was 20+ years ago. I don't expect the guy to never make a mistake. It just seems to me that if you have a reputation of being the best, you should be at your best at the most important times. Trevor seems like one guy that is beyond criticism for whatever reason. Those in So. Cal that are in a position to point out mistakes by others, never point out mistakes made by Trevor. I enjoy the guy and always have, but he's not what he once was. Another example pointed out by CJ in Saturday's 4th. Stop the Humor became No More Humor for 2 calls and then became Stop the Humor again. At least he called the correct horse in front, although it seemed he thought the 11, Burnt would go by them all at the furlong pole. I don't mean to nitpick, but he's no longer the God of race announcers.

How about John Dooley's call of the Risen Star yesterday. Loved that call.
I understand your point, but is anybody as good as they were doing the same thing day in and day out for twenty years.

In Trevor's case, nobody works harder trying to give fans an accurate and entertaining call each and every race.

The one thing that all racecallers have in common is a very sharp memory.

This is a job that really takes talent.
_____
David

MakinItHappen
02-10-2008, 02:23 PM
I fully understand that nobody is perfect, and I have very much enjoyed Trevor's calls over the years, but I have to say that his call of the 4th race at SAX yesterday was ABSOLUTELY BRUTAL!:eek:

No doubt it hit me harder because I "needed" Stop The Humor in that race. It was bad enough that his miscalling of the horse's name sent me scrambling for my PP's mid-race but then once I got my bearings on what the facts were, his call of the stretch run bore no resemblence to what I was watching. He is calling No More Humor coming down the middle of the track while I am watching Stop The Humor come through on the rail. Then as I am just beginning to bask in the glory of Stop The Humor pulling away in deep stretch Trevor starts going crazy about some horse moving down the center of the track that is hopelessly far back.:lol:

While his lackluster racecall did not impact the pay-off, it certainly did detract from my enjoyment of the race.

Trevor, please, no more humor or stop the humor, or whatever... you know what I mean! :lol:

Best of Luck Trevor and Everyone Today!

MakinItHappen

shanta
02-10-2008, 02:27 PM
It's time for him to retire. He is butchering calls left and right. Go out a winner before things get untenable Mr.D

cj
02-10-2008, 02:28 PM
I'm sure most people realize this, but race callers are tons more important now to the fan than they were in years past.

Let us be honest. When at the track, who the heck can even hear these guys? I know I rarely can except a few times at Philly Park when it was 5 below and my friend and I were the only idiots outside.

But now, given that most bettors are playing at home or at a simulcast facility, you rely on the announcer telling you what is happening. This is especially true for those horses not in the picture.

juanepstein
02-10-2008, 02:41 PM
if people are gonna sit around and bitch about announcers calls all day then they are in the wrong sport. announcers mess up all the time,they are human.

if it bothers you that much im sure the track site has an email. why dont you email them and tell them you can do better and set up an appointment.

Pace Cap'n
02-10-2008, 03:09 PM
Tough crowd. Simulcast I attend has no sound at all. Turn the volume off for a few days and see how you like that.

Tom
02-10-2008, 03:31 PM
Gee, that is just how I watch TVG!
The ONLY way I wathc TVG.:bang:

Marshall Bennett
02-10-2008, 03:38 PM
Someone has to get the blame for your horse losing !!

cj
02-10-2008, 03:42 PM
Someone has to get the blame for your horse losing !!

Why does every criticism seemingly have to stem from a losing bet?

toetoe
02-10-2008, 06:33 PM
My Dear Robert Hegyes,

I have e-mailed the Welcome Back Kottah folks, and they are in the process of erasing your face from all footage. Yours will be replaced with that of Gilbert Gottfried.

Now, I admit cj makes his point with too much vinegar. But you, sir. When you open your mouth, all that comes out is Horshack.

toetoe
02-10-2008, 06:47 PM
I pray I'm wrong, but I swear TDen called Ingrid the Gambler as Pat the Cool Cat the entire race, just now.

JustRalph
02-10-2008, 06:54 PM
It's time for him to retire. He is butchering calls left and right. Go out a winner before things get untenable Mr.D

That's a little hard don't you think

Btw, I didnt' bet stop the humor and was scared to death he was going to blow my tickets............so I knew where he was the whole time......I watched him massacre me........... :lol:

toetoe
02-10-2008, 06:56 PM
I'll just presume I was trippin', as they played the replay with no audio. Why am I not flabbergasted ? :faint:

MakinItHappen
02-10-2008, 10:35 PM
I pray I'm wrong, but I swear TDen called Ingrid the Gambler as Pat the Cool Cat the entire race, just now.

ToeToe,

Hallelujah! Your prayers have been answered!:jump:

I took a listen to the race replay and could find no fault with Trevor's call on that one! Chalk up one Atta Boy for Trevor! :jump:

DISCLAIMER: I have to admit, that I did not have a losing ticket on either of those horses, so perhaps I am not qualified to give my opinion.

Best of Luck To Everyone Tomorrow!

MakinItHappen

shanta
02-11-2008, 09:30 AM
That's a little hard don't you think

I don't think it is JR.

Announcer's job is to call horses positions during the race. Is it hard? Yes. Could I do it? No.

Having said that these men are getting paid because they can do it. Now how many "mistakes" is someone allowed before being held accountable at their job? 2-3-4-40?

Frankly this man has gone from one of the best to one of the worst. Arguably at 1 of the 2 top race circuits in the land. At what point is enough just that. Enough.

Bruddah
02-11-2008, 12:06 PM
I don't think it is JR.

Announcer's job is to call horses positions during the race. Is it hard? Yes. Could I do it? No.

Having said that these men are getting paid because they can do it. Now how many "mistakes" is someone allowed before being held accountable at their job? 2-3-4-40?

Frankly this man has gone from one of the best to one of the worst. Arguably at 1 of the 2 top race circuits in the land. At what point is enough just that. Enough.

You were referring to Pro athletes, which are paid millions of dollars to perform. Even these athletes miss throws, catches, slam dunks, and at bats with frequent regularity. Why should a race caller not be allowed to miss races occasionally? A missed race call does not change the outcome, unlike my examples above. Who, besides a few of us, even notice.

While, I do not like race callers with European, British, South African, New Zealand or Austrailian accents, because their "twangs" intefere with me understanding any part of the race, I do not mind if they mis calls ocassionally. Certainly, they aren't paid enormous sums of money, even on the Big Circuits. No harm No foul, I say. ;)

alysheba88
02-11-2008, 12:14 PM
Why does every criticism seemingly have to stem from a losing bet?

Funny isnt it? Amazing how it always seems to come back to that nonsense.

Trevor isnt the same as he was. And I agree there is reason for concern. Serious concern. Maybe something is bothering him health wise. Guy used to be basically perfect, more gaffes in last year or two then all the years before combined it seems.

On a positive note I think John Imbriale is extremely underrated.

Imriledup
02-11-2008, 02:47 PM
In horse racing, its what have your done for me lately. As bettors, you aren't allowed to sit on your laurels. If you hit a big pick 6 today, that's not going to matter tomorrow, you still have to handicap the races and do all your work to be prepared to win tomorrow, the racing gods don't permit you to tell them that you hit a pick 6 today, so you don't have to work as hard on tomorrow's card.

Because Trevor used to be great, doesn't mean he gets a pass now. We wouldn't be discussing any of this if he just called the correct horse. He's paid to call the correct horse. I think fans get mad because they know that if they made a mistake at their jobs, they wouldn't get the same 'pass'.

Just call the right horse, not rocket science for someone with well over 20 years experience to be able to know how to do, and we won't be even discussing this.

v j stauffer
02-11-2008, 04:45 PM
Certainly, they aren't paid enormous sums of money, even on the Big Circuits. No harm No foul, I say. ;)

You aint lyin Bruddah.

JustRalph
02-11-2008, 04:57 PM
Vic, this thread has to be killing you :lol:

I just don't think he has done that bad a job. He is personally not my favorite, but calling for his retirement is a little over the top. He is a race caller, not a surgeon with a shaky hand.

I guess we can agree to disagree

PaceAdvantage
02-11-2008, 05:26 PM
Just imagine for a moment, if Andy Beyer moonlighted as a race caller....I'd have to open another website just to handle all the haters! :lol:

DanG
02-11-2008, 05:39 PM
One of the reasons Trevor is taking grief is because he has set the bar so high. Anyone who was lucky enough to hear him in the late ‘80’s / 90’s knew he was doing something revolutionary in this country. He painted a picture so vividly you could ‘see the race blindfolded.

Among the things that Trevor has a real talent for is teaching the new fan how to watch a race and do it in a manner that enhanced the experience for the hard core gambler. (That is a real talent to pull that off)

Never pausing to mention the teletimer; instead using his horsemanship to teach the public about rating and rider intent. Pointing out live runners back of the lead group is a strong suit along with his trade-mark phrases.

This isn’t Joey Front Porch were talking about here…This is a 1st ballad hall of fame talent who has added so much to this game.

The other factor that goes into “defending” this man is if you had met him he is a great guy who does MANY things for this sport both on and off the track.

“Free-pass” for each error; obviously not by reading the posts. From my perspective it’s certainly easier to type criticism if someone’s body of work is weak and / or they have the personality of a pit-viper. Trevor is not close on either count.

I genuinely hope his health is 110% and he keeps giving to this game just as Durkin, Stauffer etc…continue to do. :ThmbUp:

shanta
02-11-2008, 05:50 PM
One of the reasons Trevor is taking grief is because he has set the bar so high. Anyone who was lucky enough to hear him in the late ‘80’s / 90’s knew he was doing something revolutionary in this country. He painted a picture so vividly you could ‘see the race blindfolded.

I genuinely hope his health is 110%

Right on the money!

I don't "hate" TD. The dude was the best and it's gone now. Do you want to watch your favorite athlete play way past his prime when he does some things that frankly are embarrassing to his legacy? That's what this is turning into at least to me.

Vic S gave some young Cajun sounding dude a shot or 2 at calling the last race at Hollywood a while back. I honestly LOVED the call. Called the right horses and had a very unique style. I call it "Southern American". I can't remember his name but guys like him need more shots at getting in the mix.

I sincerely hope TD is healthy and ok as thats what's really important. He is a living legend for sure!

Richie

cj
02-11-2008, 05:52 PM
I certainly don't hate him either. I spent a few nights with him at Charlestown back when he was the Maryland announcer. He is a great guy.

shanta
02-11-2008, 06:00 PM
On a positive note I think John Imbriale is extremely underrated.

Agree 100%. This guy is very good.

PaceAdvantage
02-11-2008, 06:09 PM
For the record, I hate the term "haters" and "don't be a hater." My prior post was a joke. I don't consider people with valid criticisms "haters."

Glad I could get that off my chest....:lol:

Bruddah
02-11-2008, 06:15 PM

Oh Bruddah do I disagree with you! I haven't been able to watch or listen to races called by Denman or Wrona in a long time. (their accents) I have said many times, on this board, I prefer Vic's style and call more than any other in the business of race calling today. (JMHO) :ThmbUp:

This being said, I wish nothing but the best for Denman and Wrona. It's not personal, just a matter of personal preference of styles.

A thought just occurred to me. If a baseball hitter had a .450 average for a season, baseball fans would hail him as the next coming of Babe Ruth. However, what it tells me is, he failed to hit 5.5 pitches out of every ten. Most race callers bat in the high .950 's. Yet we are critical when they do miss and it doesn't change the outcome of the game or race. Get real folks! Add the fact it must be done while the race is dynamically changing all the time. Damn, some of you aren't that good in your own professions. :confused:

freehouse2002
02-12-2008, 12:57 PM
As a big fan of TD for many years, I concede that he's lost a few steps. He has made some big blunders the past couple of years on some of racings biggest days. I agree with some saying he set the bar too high. I remember when I first started going to the races....it was BC '92 and simulcasting wasn't as prevalent as it is now. I remember hearing Durkins call of the classic at SA and it was good. When I got home to watch the SA replay show, they dubbed TD's "call" and it was infinitely better than Durkins. It's a shame that the BC waited so long to get him in on racings biggest day because he just isn't as precise as he used to be. I think Trevor circa 1992 would've been great for the BC.

With that being said, I still enjoy Trevor's calls, despite the inconsistencies :)

freehouse2002

Pace Cap'n
02-12-2008, 04:19 PM
Tangentially, I was surprised to learn that Del Mar did not use a track announcer prior to 1997.

46zilzal
02-12-2008, 05:30 PM
Tangentially, I was surprised to learn that Del Mar did not use a track announcer prior to 1997.
No that is not correct unless that guy calling the races every weekend in my youth was just doing it for fun.

from the Del Mar website: 1968 -- One of America's premier race callers, Harry Henson, takes up his summer post at the Del Mar mike for the first time, after making his local bow at the fall session in 1967. For the next 16 years his husky baritone massages the faithful at the horse heaven by the Pacific.

1984 -- Trevor Denman, the South African racing commentator whose colorful style changes the nature of race calling in the United States, takes command of the microphone on the Del Mar roof. Thereafter it's "And away they go."

Pace Cap'n
02-12-2008, 05:44 PM
I'll certainly take your word. I'm unable to find my source for that.

Steve 'StatMan'
02-12-2008, 05:56 PM

I believe it was Keeneland, who hired Kurt Becker about that time as their first announcer. I had visited Keeneland in 1992 & 1993 and they did not had yet to have an on-tack announcer at that time.

ManeMediaMogul
02-12-2008, 05:58 PM
It was Keeneland that didn't have an announcer prior to Kurt Becker.

delayjf
02-12-2008, 07:24 PM
Reading all this - how many out there have ever tried calling a race in comfort and privacy of your living room? I'm outstanding until I get to the race segment immediately after "And they're Off". After that, I'm stumbling, bumbling, fumbling.

Imriledup
02-12-2008, 07:55 PM
Reading all this - how many out there have ever tried calling a race in comfort and privacy of your living room? I'm outstanding until I get to the race segment immediately after "And they're Off". After that, I'm stumbling, bumbling, fumbling.

Yeah, but you are not a professional who's been calling races every day for over 20 years. If you called thousands of races you would not be rumbling bumbling and stumbling.

Trevor Denman has fallen down and can't seem to get back up. You make the big bucks and have thousands of races called under your belt you gotta not make mistakes. One mistake once in a while is fine, that's not what we're talking about. We're talking about major gaffe's all the time.

Also, another thing no one has discussed is Trevor's 'rusty' calls at the beginning of a meet where he hasn't called in a while. Del Mar is a great example. Trevor doesn't call one race in 3 months before DMR starts and yet there doesn't appear to be much preparation beforehand. He takes a few days or weeks to get into racecalling shape...no excuse for that, when that opening day starts, you gotta be ready to go.

JustRalph
02-12-2008, 11:58 PM

I do a mean Tony Calo "And There they go!!!!!" growl............ :lol: