PDA

View Full Version : From what I heard SA's Sunshine Millions card is ON

Turfday
01-25-2008, 03:06 PM
It's now about 12 noon Pacific time on Friday. From what I heard, Santa Anita's half of the Sunshine Millions day card is ON. Rain or shine. And both turf races supposedly will be run on turf. Don't shoot me, I'm just the messenger.

David-LV
01-25-2008, 03:19 PM
What owners in their right minds are going to risk injuries to their horses racing on this unsafe synthetic surface?

Who is going to be responsble if a horse or horses breakdown on this unsafe surface?

_________
David

Turfday
01-25-2008, 03:54 PM
nm

Marshall Bennett
01-25-2008, 04:16 PM
Will it be called the Demolition Derby ???

jognlope
01-25-2008, 04:42 PM
and my sweetie Ginger Punch is gonna win!!!!

46zilzal
01-25-2008, 04:53 PM
Will it be called the Demolition Derby ???
Let's hope it doesn't come to that. They are taking a tremendous risk. If this does not go like clockwork the reputation of that once might facility will be tarnished so completely that, given the trend of racing, they may never recover.

SMOO
01-25-2008, 04:55 PM
What owners in their right minds are going to risk injuries to their horses racing on this unsafe synthetic surface?

Who is going to be responsble if a horse or horses breakdown on this unsafe surface?

_________
David

Maybe they can just run the turf races.

46zilzal
01-25-2008, 04:56 PM
Maybe they can just run the turf races.
That was one of their proposals: run all turf on the three days the main track was getting fixed.....A lot of wear and tear..

FlyinLate
01-25-2008, 05:14 PM
Going on from what I've heard...

There is supposively a large gap in the rain (according to the weather station) from Saturday morning to early evening. That morning they are supposed to be scraping off the top two inches of cushion track (the saturated part). The lower level should be more than safe, assuming no rain happens Saturday until after the Sunshine races. I really don't think a track like Santa Anita would allow these races to go if scraping the top two inches wasn't a safe enough surface for these horses (then again I didn't think they'd get themselves put in a situation like this in the first place). Either way I'm excited.

Anyone else like Going Ballistic in the classic? Tons of early speed and this horse comes from way back.

njcurveball
01-25-2008, 05:23 PM
That morning they are supposed to be scraping off the top two inches of cushion track (the saturated part).

6 furlongs in 1:05 and change now?

northerndancer
01-25-2008, 05:58 PM
That morning they are supposed to be scraping off the top two inches of cushion track (the saturated part). The lower level should be more than safe, assuming no rain happens Saturday until after the Sunshine races. I really don't think a track like Santa Anita would allow these races to go if scraping the top two inches wasn't a safe enough surface for these horses (then again I didn't think they'd get themselves put in a situation like this in the first place).

Well I for one would scratch my horse if they scrap the top two inches and run the races...... the track was previously dangerously fast before they took off the top 2 inches...... you are smoking some great stuff if you actually think SA would not allow these races to be run if the track was not safe...... how do they actually know that the track is safe..... it has been closed for training and not one horse has been over the surface........ no thank you.... do the right thing for the safety of the horses....... cancel the races and run them next month...... pay the cost for shipping the horses from Florida and also give each owner $3,000 to cover the training costs for the next month..... if they run it is a very bad decision made for very bad reasons...... safety of the horse should come first over all else...... is that not why the CHRB mandated that the CA tracks put the synthetic surfaces in.......

MAGICHORSEMAN
01-25-2008, 06:07 PM
Time to celebrate racing again at Santa Anita. Time to party at the great race place!

Javagold
01-25-2008, 06:36 PM
they are ON until they cancel on Saturday !!!!
its called spin, my friends and please dont fall for it

ceejay
01-25-2008, 08:22 PM
if they run it is a very bad decision made for very bad reasons...... safety of the horse should come first over all else...... is that not why the CHRB mandated that the CA tracks put the synthetic surfaces in.......
I don't know if the track will be safe or not but I can't imagine the jock colony riding and trainers saddling unless they think it is safe.

David-LV
01-25-2008, 09:01 PM
I don't know if the track will be safe or not but I can't imagine the jock colony riding and trainers saddling unless they think it is safe.

Sometimes greed is more of a factor then common sense.

_________
David

MakinItHappen
01-25-2008, 09:10 PM
Keep up the good work boys!

so.cal.fan
01-25-2008, 09:14 PM
Bob Selvin heard what we heard late this morning. They will run no matter what, they have a big contract with ESPN.
Anyway you look at this it's a losing situation. Any way you look at it.
We can only hope for the least of the bad scenarios to unfold.
:bang:

bigmack
01-25-2008, 09:22 PM
Sometimes greed is more of a factor then common sense.

Where's the greed, Captain Sunshine?

By the way, it's than

JustRalph
01-25-2008, 09:50 PM
recipe for disaster

David-LV
01-25-2008, 10:20 PM
Where's the greed, Captain Sunshine?

By the way, it's than

Thank for the correction, spelling was never my best subject.

The greed comes in trying to work with a broken track, instead of taking the time off to fix the problems & not risk injuries or breakdowns.

They can always make up the races.

It is pretty hard to defend this group of incompetents.

Even you can't defend this bunch of fools.

BTW: Good luck tomorrow.:)

bigmack
01-25-2008, 10:25 PM
The greed comes in trying to work with a broken track, instead of taking the time off to fix the problems & not risk injuries or breakdowns.
Oh - It's Santa Anita's greed? Now there's something I did not know. Thanks for the inside track. :rolleyes:

MakinItHappen
01-25-2008, 10:30 PM
As I recall, after the last series of rainouts they churned the track soil pretty good and ended up surfacing a bunch of chunks of asphalt. I believe it took quite a bit of effort over the course of a day or two to get all that picked up off the track surface. If they scrape off the top couple inches aren't they likely to surface more chunks of asphalt which could be very dangerous to jockeys and horses alike?

Sure hope all goes well tomorrow if they go ahead with this...

Best of Luck Everyone!

MakinItHappen

Ron
01-25-2008, 11:08 PM
They're working hard out there tonight!!