PDA

View Full Version : Santa Anita loses Friday Races,too?

BombsAway Bob
01-25-2008, 11:32 AM
as of 11:30am(ET), the www.santaanita.com (http://www.santaanita.com/) website lists Friday posttime as 1PM(pt), but TVG's bet menu has Santa Anita as "Not Running Today". Got to think they've cancelled, because TVG needs all the bet cash it can get this time of year! TVG staff are calling out sick in the afternoon shifts rather than have to pretend to handicap DOVER DOWNS (the only product they could show on air!)

so.cal.fan
01-25-2008, 11:43 AM
They've cancelled.

46zilzal
01-25-2008, 11:45 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/horse/news/story?id=3212586

The good thing about the old dirt was you just sealed it and the water went it's own way.

BombsAway Bob
01-25-2008, 11:45 AM
http://www.santaanita.com/track/webcam.php (http://www.santaanita.com/track/webcam.php)
horses are actually working out on a small track INSIDE the main & turf course!

alysheba88
01-25-2008, 11:47 AM
All the people screaming about BC being at Monmouth should be happy

46zilzal
01-25-2008, 11:47 AM
http://www.santaanita.com/track/webcam.php (http://www.santaanita.com/track/webcam.php)
horse are actually workingout on a small track INSIDE the main & turf course!
Hopefully that is the old dirt training track.

hibiscus
01-25-2008, 12:38 PM
"We're stuck with a very unfamiliar surface. It won't drain. It won't dry. You can only scrape it," Charles said. "It's not made to be sealed. We're in uncharted waters."

Uncharted waters??? What an embarrassment for our industry.

It’s comforting to see that the individuals in power, namely the CHRB and track management, did proper and extensive due diligence before embarking on such a colossal undertaking as a complete surface replacement. After such an irresponsible move I find it amazing that the entire CHRB hasn’t resigned in the face of their obvious incompetence.

The obvious problem here is that there’s no accountability for poor decisions. Those that ultimately pay the price are the horseman whose only method of generating income is by purses. When there’s no racing there are no purses.

It’s a shame that heads won’t roll because the only ones with the power to sever heads are the same ones that should be fired.

I don’t know if the CHRB members are paid for their positions but we know that track management executives certainly are. It would be refreshing to see them forgo paychecks and have the funds diverted to the horsemen in compensation for lost purse opportunities due to their utter incompetence in forcing this garbage racing surface down the throats of those that earn their livings by racing.

If anyone thinks that the addition of this Pro-Ride nonsense is going to be the magic bullet needs to take off the rose colored glasses. It may or may not solve the immediate problem but the odds are 1-9 that there will be some other catastrophic unforeseen issue down the road.

Between the crooked politicians ruining racing in New York and the incompetents running California racing these are dark days indeed for our sport.

DrunkenHorseplayer
01-25-2008, 12:44 PM
The problem isn't the surface but rather the poor installation job.

Gambleonclaimers
01-25-2008, 12:59 PM
for the horse industries next trick they'll install one surface and everybody runs on that same surface from quarter horses and donkey's to standard bred and anything inbetween and they'll call it the all purpose surface. I have just begun my next business venture oh, and i have already copyrighted that name. lol

46zilzal
01-25-2008, 01:03 PM
Imagine IN ANY INDUSTRY installing something, on this scale and of this importance, as an EXPERIMENT not having enough options to understand nor deal with all the possible contingencies.

MAGICHORSEMAN
01-25-2008, 01:04 PM
The Santa Anita racing surface was incorrectly installed. It does not have the proper drainage pipes like Hollwood Park. The blaime should be on the contracted engineers on this project. If they would have properly installed the surface. There would be no problem right now.

David-LV
01-25-2008, 01:40 PM
The problem isn't the surface but rather the poor installation job.

Yes, according to Mr. Charles it is the surface.

Quote:
"We're stuck with a very unfamiliar surface. It won't drain. It won't dry. You can only scrape it," Charles said. "It's not made to be sealed. We're in uncharted waters."

Bruddah
01-25-2008, 01:50 PM
while the horsemen go broke and the fans drift away. It will take a few years but they will eventually run out of excuses. Just like the artificial turfs in football. Unfortunately, I don't think horse racing can survive the fiasco.

They will be developing this expensive property (Santa Anita et. al.) for shopping centers and condos in the next 5years. (JMHO) :ThmbDown:

JustRalph
01-25-2008, 02:23 PM
if I read that ESPN article right, no matter what happens this weekend, they will be closed all next week...............while they put another new surface in

Tom
01-25-2008, 02:39 PM
They should list it in the changes every morning:

Number 3, 3 lbs over
Number 5 Blinkers on
Scratch number 8

Turf rail set at 12 feet
Racetrack - poly off

ny0707ny
01-25-2008, 02:46 PM
I thought it was always sunny weather in CA? I remember here in NY whenever I watch SA track, it is always fast.

I guess CA has some bad weather this winter?

46zilzal
01-25-2008, 02:48 PM
I thought it was always sunny weather in CA? I remember here in NY whenever I watch SA track, it is always fast.

I guess CA has some bad weather this winter?
Only at the Oak Tree meeting which has had next to zero off tracks in it's history.

rrbauer
01-25-2008, 06:15 PM
It's clear to see that neither SA nor the posters in this thread know much about the cushion-track drainage issue. Beyond that, it's inexecusable that SA keeps everyone hanging while they wait until literally the last minute to decide whether to race or not. Anymore, with a very small percentage of the handle being generated on-track they are indifferent to the day-to-day treatment of their on-track customers who may have to travel up to 60 miles one way to attend the races. It's only gas.

MakinItHappen
01-25-2008, 06:41 PM
Ron Charles was just on Steve Byk and said that they will begin working on the track in about an hour and work it all night long. Planning to scrape about 1 1/2 or so off the top and they should have a decent track for the jocks and trainers to inspect between 8 and 9 AM. No additional rain is expected until 5 or 6 PM on Saturday so he feels it is a definite go unless they really run into something unexpected.

He also said the turf course has drained exceptionally well, and he believes both races will stay on the turf.

Let's keep our fingers crossed!

Best of Luck Everyone!

MakinItHappen

MakinItHappen
01-25-2008, 06:54 PM
Additionally, Ron Charles indicated that all indications are that the storm expected to arrive early evening on Saturday will be substantial and that racing on Sunday and Monday is not looking likely.

He also indicated that if they get as much rain as expected on Saturday evening they will not be able to "fix" the track on the planned schedule and may have to delay that process for a few days or a week.

Best of Luck Everyone!

MakinItHappen

BlueShoe
01-25-2008, 07:47 PM
Article in this Am's OC Register sports section stating that regardless of what happens this weeekend,racing or not,that SA will not race next Monday or Thursday due to work on the track.Up to this point have been unable to confirm or deny this information.