PDA

View Full Version : Barbaro Memorial--Unbelievable

Pace Cap'n
01-24-2008, 07:20 PM
Wow, if this isn't just what racing needs right now...

A statue of Kentucky Derby winner Barbaro will be unveiled at the Central Park South location where a carriage horse was tragically killed last year....

"The Barbaro Memorial" will depict the thoroughbred champion in the winner's circle on his back with his number 8 saddle cloth draping his belly and hooves in the air, representing his inability to stand on his feet...

The Memorial's website, www.BarbarosLaw.com (http://www.BarbarosLaw.com), will provide images and an online petition urging Congress to pass a law that would arm consumers with the truth about the perils of horse racing by requiring racetracks to disclose race-related injury and fatality statistics...

www.send2press.com/newswire/2008-01-0123-004.shtml
(http://www.send2press.com/newswire/2008-01-0123-004.shtml)

the little guy
01-24-2008, 07:24 PM
The City should not be using public funds and/or public property to further the agendas of those with activist agendas. While the artist is certainly entitled to free expression, and they are entitled to further their cause, however misguided it may be, the City should not be using public spaces to give them exposure.

Hopefully this will become clearer before this mistake becomes a permanent fixture.

ryesteve
01-24-2008, 07:29 PM
"Queens Councilman Tony Avella drafted legislation that would ban New York’s horse-drawn carriages after carriage horse, Smoothie, died from running into a tree after being spooked by a street musician’s drum last September.”

Wouldn't the proper response to this event be to ban street musicians??

bigmack
01-24-2008, 07:49 PM
The artist's other works include Britney Spears giving birth, the first BM of Suri Cruise, a lifesized Fidel Castro, a dead Paris Hilton & a dead Prince Harry. He's clearly highbrow.

Stevie Belmont
01-24-2008, 08:02 PM
I posted about this somewhere else....I think its ridiculous and should be stopped. How Barbaro got his name attached to this is asinine. And the staue is horrible. It's funny I never saw Barbaro on his back either...

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y187/SooperMan/08-0123-DedwardsNY_72dpi.jpg

Tom
01-24-2008, 08:20 PM
"Queens Councilman Tony Avella drafted legislation that would ban New York’s horse-drawn carriages after carriage horse, Smoothie, died from running into a tree after being spooked by a street musician’s drum last September.”

Wouldn't the proper response to this event be to ban street musicians??

Better yet, ban Tony Avella!

maxwell
01-24-2008, 08:28 PM
Only in America! :rolleyes:

Pace Cap'n
01-24-2008, 09:04 PM
As repugnant and distasteful as I find the statue, the stated agenda is of greater concern. When the do-gooders and PETA-types come after race horses, it ain't gonna be a pretty sight. The current in-house squabbles may pale in comparison to the troubles these dolts can cause.

Shenanigans
01-24-2008, 09:18 PM
The do-gooders and PETA-types have been after horse racing for years. The racing industry is HUGE compared to them and they will carry no clout. Look at the fur industry. It is still striving and is actually making a come back. PETA-types have proved nothing else but that they are a bunch of screw balls with nothing better to do. The horse racing industry must fear only one thing - itself.

Pace Cap'n
01-24-2008, 09:31 PM
Hope you are right.

Premier Turf Club
01-24-2008, 09:31 PM
Absolutely awful, distasteful, disgusting, there aren't enough words. Free speech is one thing, but this?? on public land??

I hope the city comes to its senses. :ThmbDown::ThmbDown::ThmbDown:

colonial
01-24-2008, 09:42 PM
well its art. but very bad taste. the city should not allow this, but first admen.

Tom Barrister
01-24-2008, 11:11 PM
This is unbelievably stupid and not worth further comment.

thespaah
01-24-2008, 11:58 PM
As repugnant and distasteful as I find the statue, the stated agenda is of greater concern. When the do-gooders and PETA-types come after race horses, it ain't gonna be a pretty sight. The current in-house squabbles may pale in comparison to the troubles these dolts can cause.PETA's credibility is ZERO...

JustRalph
01-25-2008, 12:47 AM
reminds me of Maplethorpe :ThmbDown:

jognlope
01-25-2008, 04:51 AM
Mayor Bloomberg is going to hear from me, the twit should haven't allowed it. His daughter shouldn't have allowed it. She rides grand pris circuit.

jma
01-25-2008, 09:07 AM
First of all, that statue is horrible. I sincerely hope they come to their senses and don't allow it to be put up.

Second, the animal rights people are working behind the scenes and slowly making inroads in a lot of areas. For example, here in New Jersey they were behind a bill in the state legislature to change the makeup of the hunting and fishing regulation board. This would have allowed people with an interest in the topic of hunting/fishing to be appointed instead of those with experience in wildlife management---this was in an effort to get anti-hunting and anti-fishing people on the council. A few of those people get in and laws change fast. Now the saltwater fishing business is huge here and there are a lot of fishermen. Word got out, and not only did the bill not come up for a vote, but the sponsors were voted out of office. But think if the bill passed quietly tacked on to something...next thing you know you can't fish here, can't fish there---despite the hundreds of millions of dollars fishermen spend in the state and the thousands of businesses that are open because of them.

If you're thinking, "Well, that's wacky New Jersey..." Trust me, PETA and other groups are working on similiar bills in your state now. Racing is also on their list of things to ban. We don't want these people coming after racing because they have a lot of time and money---and increasing political power. Maybe it will never happen, but I don't look forward to the day it does. All those drug suspensions and rumors and the breakdowns we discuss will not look pretty if they ever really get trumped up in a concerted media campaign.

MAGICHORSEMAN
01-25-2008, 01:11 PM
This is bad for horseraceing and the memory of Barbaro

46zilzal
01-25-2008, 01:26 PM
The clowns at the gate were the problem. Whenever any horse runs through the gate, hits the gate, is bumped by another on the way to the gate, the track vet looks them over and decides if is not in the best interests of the horse to scratch.

I had Bernardini big time that day and never liked Barbaro but screamed out after they loaded him right back in: "He might have cut himself or bruised a leg...those idiots aren't even checking!"

It was the calloused crew at the gate that set that tragedy in motion.

If he had a gate injury pre-start, we will never know.

Pace Cap'n
01-25-2008, 01:43 PM
The clowns at the gate were the problem. Whenever any horse runs through the gate, hits the gate, is bumped by another on the way to the gate, the track vet looks them over and decides if is not in the best interests of the horse to scratch.

I had Bernardini big time that day and never liked Barbaro but screamed out after they loaded him right back in: "He might have cut himself or bruised a leg...those idiots aren't even checking!"

Do you have any idea, any concept at all, even the slightest, what the TOPIC OF THIS THREAD is? Go take your thread-drift bullshit somehwere else.

46zilzal
01-25-2008, 01:45 PM
Do you have any idea, any concept at all, even the slightest, what the TOPIC OF THIS THREAD is? Go take your thread-drift bullshit somehwere else.
Strange, I just received a private message thanking me for considering a possibility for mechanism of injury that, heretofore was not considered.

Germane (Barabro) as the day is long regardless of your perceptions.

By the way, here it is word for word:
"Thanks much for your post about the gate crew at the Preakness.

It has always amazed me how vehemently this possibility (gate injury) is dismissed, when, as you said, we will never know.

The "logic" of those who dismiss this seems to be along the lines of "You can't prove he had a gate injury so therefore he didn't have a gate injury".

Best.

Pace Cap'n
01-25-2008, 02:01 PM
That is all well and good. IT IS NOT THE TOPIC OF THIS THREAD.

If that is what you wish to discuss, START ANOTHER THREAD.

46zilzal
01-25-2008, 02:04 PM
That is all well and good. IT IS NOT THE TOPIC OF THIS THREAD.

If that is what you wish to discuss, START ANOTHER THREAD.

Remembering Barbaro is the topic

Isn't it fun to be a cop and tell others what is or is not germane?.....Does anyone OWN a conversation? Doubtful

Discussions have facets like diamonds: they are part of the whole and go where they go by injections of parallel thoughts. Always have, always will.

Pace Cap'n
01-25-2008, 02:13 PM
Remembering Barbaro is the topic

Just as I suspected. The TOPIC is stated in the first post of this thread. Have you read it?

46zilzal
01-25-2008, 02:17 PM
Barbaro and the second word

me·mo·ri·al

1 : serving to preserve remembrance : commemorative 2 : of or relating to memory

As plain as day.

JustRalph
01-25-2008, 02:17 PM
The Topic is "Barbaro Memorial" and it refrences a specific Statue.

Once again you try to hijack a thread.............. :ThmbDown:

Pace Cap'n
01-25-2008, 02:27 PM
Barbaro and the second word

me·mo·ri·al

1 : serving to preserve remembrance : commemorative 2 : of or relating to memory

As plain as day.

That is merely the TITLE, oh supercilious one.

I would be willing to bet you have not read ONE of the first 18 posts in this thread.

Save your condescending crap for someone else. It is not appreciated here.

bigmack
01-25-2008, 02:40 PM
Mayor Bloomberg is going to hear from me, the twit should haven't allowed it. His daughter shouldn't have allowed it. She rides grand pris circuit.
http://www.nyc.gov/portal/site/nycgov/menuitem.bd08ee7c7c1ffec87c4b36d501c789a0/index.jsp?doc_name=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nyc.gov%2Fhtml %2Fmail%2Fhtml%2Fmayor.html

jognlope
01-25-2008, 03:39 PM
46z is not off track. There was a good part of Talking Horses show just after the injury that examined this issue and they were commenting on how Edgar kept looking back at Barbaro's hind end, left, right, after he burst out of the gait, and then someone tried to cover that all up by saying he was checking the girth. Hello, the girth is under his pelvis. I'm willing to bet that was it, but it's just too late now and no one's going to admit to anything.

Stevie Belmont
01-25-2008, 03:41 PM
Who cares if you liked or disliked Barbaro in the Preakness..?

Wrong thread dude.

Yea Golden Missle broke through the gate at Pimlico before the Pimilco Special...He won

46zilzal
01-25-2008, 03:48 PM
Who cares if you liked or disliked Barbaro in the Preakness..?

Wrong thread dude.

Yea Golden Missle broke through the gate at Pimlico before the Pimilco Special...He won
The idea was the concern for the animal over parimutuel interest.

Endearus
01-25-2008, 03:55 PM
The announcement also went on to say:

"A spokeswoman for the New York City Department of Parks & Recreation said it has not received an application for a special event permit or a temporary public art permit allowing the unveiling."

Let's hope it is not granted.

jognlope
01-25-2008, 04:07 PM
I wrote the mayor's office and a note to Joe Drape of NY times, who wrote that wonderful piece on Barbaro after his passing. Joe wrote back saying he agreed it would be upsetting to B's fans and connections, but just learned of it himself.

Well I'm going to pull out my old toilet papering bag of tricks from high school days if need be. Hope it is not allowed, I really doubt it will be, thanks to advance press!!

Shenanigans
01-25-2008, 05:41 PM
What would happen if the owners of Barbaro would copyright his name? Secretariat is copyrighted and NOTHING can be made of him or have his name attached to it without consent from the owner.
Anyone here with connections to the owners could maybe suggest that.

Shenanigans
01-25-2008, 05:46 PM
The idea was the concern for the animal over parimutuel interest.

No, the idea was the concern for the animal over the jockey not wanting to get his assed reamed for scratching the Kentucky Derby winner in the Preakness. Parimutuel interest had nothing to do with it.
Prado was "watching" Barbaro's right hind leg before they ever reached the gate. The gate incident had nothing to do with what happened after.

46zilzal
01-25-2008, 05:47 PM
I expressed MY concerns in that line not anyone else's.

bigmack
01-25-2008, 05:49 PM
What would happen if the owners of Barbaro would copyright his name? Secretariat is copyrighted and NOTHING can be made of him or have his name attached to it without consent from the owner.
Anyone here with connections to the owners could maybe suggest that.
Now that is some good thinking

samyn on the green
01-25-2008, 06:11 PM
This post is bigger disrespect to Barbaro than the statue created to defame racing. How can you have the gonads to launch a red board within the discussion of his unfortunate death.

How suspect is your capping if you need to outsource the thinking to computers and slip in pathetic red boards every chance you get. If you are so desperate to prove your mettle toss the computer selections, and make some picks in the selection forum before the races are run. It is time you join the rest of us and respect racetrack etiquette.
Ihad Bernardini big time that day and never liked Barbaro but screamed out after they loaded him right back in: "He might have cut himself or bruised a leg...those idiots aren't even checking!"

jognlope
01-25-2008, 09:33 PM
Okay.

ralph_the_cat
01-25-2008, 11:29 PM
I never like 46zilzal when viewing this forum... but I screamed out just before the horse kicked him in the head... :D

*Artists- too lazy to work.

46zilzal
01-26-2008, 02:31 AM
This post is bigger disrespect to Barbaro than the statue created to defame racing. How can you have the gonads to launch a red board within the discussion of his unfortunate death.

If the description of my day upset you when I was trying to explain my concern for the horse, that's too bad you do not understand it.

lilmegahertz
01-26-2008, 10:58 AM
Well, I wonder how long they will allow MY comments to stay out there for the general viewing public. If they were truly concerned then why not use money to educate against animal cruelty instead of totally disregarding the animals right to not be used for their own private money-making agenda. Those a**holes like PETA really pi** me off to no end. They are not out for the animal's welfare. They only want to go for the shock value..:mad:

ryesteve
01-26-2008, 11:41 AM
Those a**holes like PETA really pi** me off to no end. They are not out for the animal's welfare.
It's justifiable to criticize their tactics, but I don't know where the basis is for questioning their motives.

Shenanigans
01-26-2008, 08:53 PM
I expressed MY concerns in that line not anyone else's.

Your "concern" was wrong. Parimutuel interest had nothing to do with the horse not being scratched.

shanta
01-27-2008, 10:05 AM
Better yet, ban Tony Avella!

:ThmbUp: :jump:

shanta
01-27-2008, 10:10 AM
This is NY.

If that insulting piece of shit ever actually gets "unveiled" it never lasts 30 days.

kenwoodallpromos
01-27-2008, 11:16 AM
Of course the statue has no relation to carriage horses or reality.
PETA blanketly is anti anything concerning domesticating animals and knows nothing abour horseracing or many other things about animals.
They have unrealistic goals of banning everything instead of trying to work for improvements. It's all or nothing and they win nothing (not much). They do not even make the connection between KFC's parent company being the KY Derby's sponsor!

Onion Monster
01-27-2008, 11:26 AM
If you have some time to kill, head to Youtube and check out an episode of Penn and Teller's Bullsh_t on PETA:

Here's the first part:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTQCQ1eI7Is

46zilzal
01-27-2008, 12:39 PM
Barbaro's demise was tragic. He was a good three year old that won the three year old's biggest race. Good that's it, not legnedary akin to Cy, Slew, Red etc.

jognlope
01-27-2008, 12:44 PM
Then you aren't "getting it." Barbaro the horse is what people loved more than his race record. "Irresistable" was the word used to describe what he had but it's hard to put into words, I can't.

46zilzal
01-27-2008, 12:59 PM
Then you aren't "getting it." Barbaro the horse is what people loved more than his race record. "Irresistable" was the word used to describe what he had but it's hard to put into words, I can't.
Okay, I understand how irrational people can get when emotion clouds their judgment.

GOOD THREE YEAR OLD. So was Hoist the Flag and that was it as well, not legendary.

Anthropomorphize all you want, but this was a horse that was good as a three year old on a very limited stage.

46zilzal
01-27-2008, 02:21 PM
Multiple piece, fragmented fracture sites interrupt the nutrient arteries, the secondary periosteal arterioles to the extent, that even in the human equivalent, where a combination of both internal and external fixation along with proper traction, make these fractures catastrophic under the best of conditions. And that is fully NON-WEIGHT bearing.

It is akin to squeezing all the pieces of a broken eggshell and hoping that the parts (if viable, without the compromised circulation) will re-attach. This requires that the separate parts are compressed enough, and in the right plane, in order for a bone callous to form out of the extravasated blood. Many times these require revision as some parts without blood supply become necrotic, which is all the more important if it is a weight bearing long bone.

When I saw the x-rays of this unfortunate animal, an attempt to resolve this surgically, in a weight bearing condition, was noble, but one based upon wishful thinking. To put the animal through this therapy was on par with wagering all the money on a 75-1 shot.

Also, in the equine, weight bearing patient, one has the constant contamination problem since excrement, by gravity falls into or near the site and they are not box trained.

Can't recall the name of the California sire, who had a similar injury, but the surgeons amputated and made a prosthetic leg (made from a steering column of a VW).

Pace Cap'n
01-27-2008, 07:00 PM
So, Zilzal, did you ever get around to reading up on what this thread was about?

srdnaty
01-27-2008, 08:12 PM
Where would these horses be without racing? Probably dog food and glue right? This is as classless as the prolife activists outside family planning. Reguardless where you stand on the issue you have to admit there is a level of class if you are going to protest something. This falls under the try to shock and dissgust people i.e. classless catergory.

Its also classless to Barbaro. If they cared about the horse's legacy why would they show him like that? And they are the people that are supposed to care about animals.

ryesteve
01-27-2008, 10:58 PM
This falls under the try to shock and dissgust people

Its also classless to Barbaro. If they cared about the horse's legacy why would they show him like that? And they are the people that are supposed to care about animals.
I'm not sure who the "they" is supposed to be, but if you look at the artist's previous works, "shock and disgust" appears to be exactly what he aims to do every time.

46zilzal
01-28-2008, 12:01 AM
Weight bearing on this mess, even while healing, was a long shot. It's ashamed.

Once the fracture becomes intra-articular (involving a joint surface) you have undergo an arthrodesis it (fuse the joint).

You can see the decreased bone density in the post-op shot. Decreased density from non-weight bearing, and/or boney necrosis.

The GOOD part of all of this, is the application of human orthopedic techniques get better all the time, IF they could just figure out a way for the equine to be non-weight bearing.

46zilzal
01-28-2008, 12:12 AM
If you ever get the chance, read Dr. James Rooney (Biomechanics of Lameness in Horses) and understand how very difficult is the orthopedic rehabilitation of the weight bearing horse.

srdnaty
01-28-2008, 11:26 AM
I'm not sure who the "they" is supposed to be, but if you look at the artist's previous works, "shock and disgust" appears to be exactly what he aims to do every time.

They is in reference to peta and the asshole's making the "memorial"

ryesteve
01-28-2008, 11:42 AM
They is in reference to peta and the asshole's making the "memorial"
That's what I thought... but PETA has absolutely nothing to do with this statue.

srdnaty
01-28-2008, 11:55 AM
That's what I thought... but PETA has absolutely nothing to do with this statue.

Yeah I know but whoever does is classless and peta is aswell when it comes to horseracing.

ryesteve
01-28-2008, 12:52 PM
If they cared about the horse's legacy why would they show him like that? And they are the people that are supposed to care about animals.They is in reference to petabut PETA has absolutely nothing to do with this statue.Yeah I know
Ah ok... well, you can see why you confused me...

srdnaty
01-28-2008, 04:41 PM
Ah ok... well, you can see why you confused me...

Yes I do, but when I say PETA I mean the PETA crowd. I can't prove this but my guess is the people that run this organization (Barbaroslaw.com) are card carrying members of PETA. Sorry for not being clear. I guess I was referencing animal rights activists and not PETA, so to speak.

Also isnt this wierd. I saw some reduce global warming tips and one was eat less meat because cows produce methane gas which is a large contributor. The first thing I thought was shouldnt we eat the cows than? that way they can't produce the gas? Yes I understand the long term supply and demand thing but there will still be cows for milking and ect. I don't see the cow population shrinking anytime soon.

46zilzal
01-28-2008, 04:44 PM
PETA might mean well but they are far too radical.

srdnaty
01-28-2008, 04:46 PM
PETA might mean well but they are far too radical.

100% I look at them as I do any special interest group. About 10% of what they do is probably worth wild, but the rest is rediculus or unimmportant.

46zilzal
01-28-2008, 04:48 PM
A few years ago they injected turkeys here at the markets with poison. Hundreds of them had to be thrown away since no one could tell which had been tampered with.