PDA

View Full Version : There is NO one way to do anything

46zilzal
01-24-2008, 06:44 PM
One group has the toilet paper coming over the top, others swear it has to come off under the bottom. Some put their seat belt on before turning over the car, other swear that you have to buckle up first. I could go onto hundreds of other examples.

ANYTHING as variable as the hundreds of possible factors included in the analysis of a horse race creates a variety of approaches. In the post I wrote not too long ago, K.I.S.S., the best approach for me, and ME alone, is to shed all of the extraneous layers of factors which MIGHT be relevant, go after fewer implicit ones to the exclusion of anything else. It is not wrong or right, but it works.

Each discipline has it's strengths and weaknesses. One person does not know the exact strategy of the next. I was always under the impression (as it is in scientific circles) that rational skepticism of ANY point of view is considered a "possibility" until overwhelmingly proven otherwise. Change is always there as nothing stands still.

This is a forum of ideas, not a popularity contest. Throw ideas out and let THE IDEAS, NOT THE AUTHOR sink or swim.

This amateur psychoanalyst stuff attached to a different take on things is ridiculous as well.

Ideas are different. There is NO ONE WAY TO DO ANYTHING. The objective person is continually aware of that and prompts discussion in that direction. Accepting? no questioning is the better stance as in any field of study.

Tom
01-24-2008, 07:15 PM
Excellent post. You should read it. :D

GaryG
01-24-2008, 07:22 PM
It depends on how the idea is presented. If it is presented in an overly POMPOUS way, that may affect the way the idea is perceived.

46zilzal
01-24-2008, 07:45 PM
It depends on how the idea is presented. If it is presented in an overly POMPOUS way, that may affect the way the idea is perceived.
How do words on a page gain that distinction other than by pre-judging the authorship and not the idea?

chickenhead
01-24-2008, 07:58 PM
I was always under the impression (as it is in scientific circles) that rational skepticism of ANY point of view is considered a "possibility" until overwhelmingly proven otherwise.

skeptical of what, exactly. What are you skeptical about?

46zilzal
01-24-2008, 08:06 PM
skeptical of what, exactly. What are you skeptical about?
Lots of things; un-necessary complication on decision processes by layering irrelevant, confusing information over the process, hence the K.I.S.S. position.

Tom
01-24-2008, 08:19 PM
Like Doc used to say, handicaping is like juggling. Some people can handle many balls at once, some one one or two. Handle as many balls as you feel comfortable with.

chickenhead
01-24-2008, 08:20 PM
that's the funny thing...I don't see in that other thread...you know the one where someone asked a question, and then someone answered it...I don't see where anyone was trying to convince you of anything.

I am glad you have found your path 46. Stay on it. No one here is trying to change that. Watching the Teletubbies on TV won't make you gay. Reading talk of dbases without interjecting won't make you buy a dbase. Stay strong.

bigmack
01-24-2008, 08:23 PM
hence the K.I.S.S. position.
Nevermind about K.I.S.S & Blink the few other themes you drill to the ground. There's a core group of folk who read many of the threads here and trust me, we all know your take on things like workouts, pedigree, databases, etc...

I think many of us simply ask that you give a little more thought before entering a thread merely for the sake of counter thought as it oftentimes just acts as a disruptive force.

Too many decent threads are ending up like this:

http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg38/macktime1/thethrowupmongrels.gif

Causing any level of good draining out of them pretty fast.

Cratos
01-24-2008, 08:57 PM
You are correct, there is no one way, but there is an optimal way.

Tom
01-24-2008, 09:10 PM
Watching the Teletubbies on TV won't make you gay.

*WHEW!!!* :eek:

shanta
01-24-2008, 09:14 PM
Watching the Teletubbies on TV won't make you gay.

You are soooooo silly! :faint:

Foolish Pleasure
01-24-2008, 11:23 PM
There is NO ONE WAY TO DO ANYTHING

There is exactly one optimal solution.
There are many ways to do anything, there is usually only one correct way.

How much value you think they grow in these negative sum horse races?
right and sure there are SOOOOOOOOOO many different ways to find the same thing!

:lol: :lol:

maiom01
01-24-2008, 11:46 PM
This thread is getting deep, however it does get you to think more.

The key is...if you have not found that profitable play, keep searching and never give up...

Bruddah
01-24-2008, 11:57 PM
that's the funny thing...I don't see in that other thread...you know the one where someone asked a question, and then someone answered it...I don't see where anyone was trying to convince you of anything.

I am glad you have found your path 46. Stay on it. No one here is trying to change that. Watching the Teletubbies on TV won't make you gay. Reading talk of dbases without interjecting won't make you buy a dbase. Stay strong.

I went to sleep last night watching them on an old tape the grand kids had. I awoke this morning, with a strange desire to wear HOT PINK house shoes. :lol: :D

john messina
01-25-2008, 12:00 AM
There is exactly one optimal solution.
There are many ways to do anything, there is usually only one correct way.

How much value you think they grow in these negative sum horse races?
right and sure there are SOOOOOOOOOO many different ways to find the same thing!

:lol: :lol:

Sir, I beg to differ with your characterization that there exists only (your words.. "exactly one optimal solution") a singular optimal solution. Systems often have multiple optimal solutions ( and yes horse racing can be considered a system). Also known as innumerable optimal solutions. You can also have Degenerate Solutions and Unbounded Solutions, which can also be optimal. In fact, using Game Theory, and Linear Programming quite often results in an optimal solution which maybe infeasible, unbounded , or there maybe multiple solution as well as degeneracy.

riskman
01-25-2008, 01:11 AM
“In gambling the many must lose in order that the few may win”

jma
01-25-2008, 08:50 AM
Ideas are different. There is NO ONE WAY TO DO ANYTHING. The objective person is continually aware of that and prompts discussion in that direction. Accepting? no questioning is the better stance as in any field of study.

Every time someone is discussing a topic, you seem to come along to tell them they can't do it that way. Maybe you should start practicing what you preach here, because you behave in exactly the opposite way that you're telling everyone else to behave.