PDA

View Full Version : Vista32 vs. Vista64 for system builders

bigchump
01-24-2008, 02:33 PM
I thought I'd share my experience with Vista and system building with those who are contemplating doing such.

I have two identical systems:
I got most of this stuff from Newegg cheap.
ASUS P5N-E SLI
INTEL Core 2 Duo E6850
Dual Hitachi 320gig SATA/RAID 7200rpm.
Two LITE-ON DVD's
4 gigs Corsair TWIN2X2048-6400C5DHX 800mhz. w/heatsinks 4-4-4-12
NVIDIA 8800GTS 320mb.
500 watt P.S. (big mistake - use 750w or more for sli)
O/S Vista32oem Ultimate & Vista64oem Ultimate (both legal)

Both got to POST on first try!
Had a little problem with southbridge overheating, installed xtra fans in case and pci slot to fix that.

I decided to install O/S without any drivers just to see what would happen.

Vista32 installed, found my network(!) and upgraded itself without problems except the Nvidia i650 drivers windows installed were bogus. I formatted and reinstalled turning automatic upgrades off this time. I DL'd the mobo and graphics drivers from Nivida then let Vista upgrade itself. Everything ok.

Vista64 was a different story. It failed to install. Was hanging at 62% every time. I tried the ASUS drivers with no luck. So naturally I do the damn fool thing and start swapping hardware from my Vista32 machine. After lots of hair pulling I found out on Asus's forum that Vista64 doesn't like 4gigs when installing. I pulled two memory sticks out and it finally installed (sort of). Totally unstable without any mobo/video drivers and unable to DL drivers because it found my network but not the internet. So I have to DL the 64bit drivers on a 32bit machine (ironic?). After I got the drivers in I still needed one hand for the mouse and the other for the reset button. I did the automatic update thing and that was a big mistake. When one update "failed" it just kept installing other updates even though some of those apparently depend on the one that "failed". Format and reinstall again, this time with the mobo drivers and doing the upgrading myself one upgrade at a time. Everything ok now.

Bechmarks using 3dmark06 (no OC, conservative 5-5-5-18 lat.+auto defaults)
Vista32=10100
Vista64=8400

I used Vista64 because I wanted to port my horse racing app to 64 bits.
The joke is on me - Visual Studio 2008 Express doesn't do a 64 bit compile.

good luck
bigchump

PaceAdvantage
01-25-2008, 03:18 AM
I installed Vista64bit Ultimate Edition without a hitch with 4GB ram on the board. Went smooth as silk.....

I've heard that this ram problem only occurs with certain hardware setups.

For the record, I'm running an Abit IP35 PRO with a Core 2 Quad 6600 (overclocked to 3GHz), EVGA 8800 GTS (512MB), WD 750GB 7200RPM SATA, 4GB G.SKill PC2 8000 5-5-5-15, PC Power & Cooling 610W power supply, Samsung DVD burner with Lightscribe.....

bigchump
01-25-2008, 11:58 AM
Hi PA!
I didn't install any sound cards. Onboard sound is good enough for me.
When I got around to hooking up some speakers I found I had no sound.
The onboard speaker beeps during POST so I figured all ok (NOT).
Device Manager says "this device is working properly" (NOT).
I DL'd the sound drivers from ASUS and my 3dMark06 hit 9600 on Vista64.
AFAIK 3dMark doesn't use sound - there must have been a conflict somewhere.
ASUS (bless their hearts) has different sound drivers for Vista32 & 64.
The 64 driver is older(?) then the 32, but it works for me..

Vista32 is stable but has lots of errors. Vista64 is rock solid stable!
After fixing the sound I cleared Event Viewer on both machines.
I left a little VB routine (from Visual Studio 6) running on both.
This routine opens a large network text file, tries to print to a nonexistant printer, traps the error and loops 10,000 times.
The results are interesting, to say the least...
Vista64 ZERO errors!
Vista32 12,634 errors.
This one is particularly annoying on Vista32:
IRQARB: ACPI BIOS does not contain an IRQ for the device in PCI slot 7, function 0. Please contact your system vendor for technical assistance.
I don't have a PCI slot 7 to begin with....

The most common Vista32 error:
The machine-default permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID
I've got ALL that UAL stuff turned off-don't know wtf CLSID is.

My little routine ran about 8% faster on Vista64.
This could be from Vista32 writing to the error file?

PA, did you use the oem, upgrade or full version of Vista64?
Did you include drivers when you installed?
Are you using a 64bit compiler?

good luck
bigchump

PaceAdvantage
01-26-2008, 01:06 AM
I bought the OEM version of Vista 64 ultimate. And I didn't include any drivers when I installed windows. I just let Vista do its thing and hoped for the best. And I haven't even tried porting any of my VB stuff over yet....I'm still running the old machine for that for now....

bigchump
02-20-2008, 11:56 AM
Every single problem I had was caused by one simple thing:
My CPU's were newer than the BIOS.
I had checked the Asus HCL (harwdare compatibility list) and my CPU was listed.
I didn't see the "*please update to the latest BIOS..." at the bottom of the list.
:bang: It's those little things...