PDA

View Full Version : NHL League Standings- What A JOKE!

BombsAway Bob
01-23-2008, 12:14 AM
I was looking over the Boston Herald sports section today,
when I happened to glance at the NHL LEAGUE STANDINGS.
Are These Teams Great Nowadays, or WHAT!
30 teams in the NHL; Six Divisions of Five teams.
24 TEAMS Sport Records OVER .500
6 Teams with Losing Records, the Worst record: 19-28
I quit watching NHL Action since the lockout..but you
Gotta LOVE THE NEW MATH if you're a NHL Team Owner!:lol:

ldiatone
01-23-2008, 08:16 AM
love hockey. go pens! too bad sid is out 6-8 weeks but gino has really put on a show. that end to end rush with a pass to gonchar was great. and ya gottta love coklin 9-1 coming up from the minors.

cj
01-23-2008, 09:58 AM
The Caps are playing the best hockey in the league right now since switching coaches.

They were 6-14, now 22-21 and swept Ottawa.

njcurveball
01-23-2008, 10:12 AM
I think you are missing what they do with overtime games. When a game goes into overtime, the team does not get a loss.

Notice how they have more games than wins and losses added up. That is how so many can appear to have a winning record.

Look at a team like the NY Rangers, they are 23-21, but they have played 50 games. That means 6 times they went to the extra 5 minutes. They have 52 points, so it looks like they have not won a game out of those 6 (you get 2 points for a win).

Now they lost to the Bruins 1-0 (shootout), the Panthers 3-2 (shootout), the Capitals 5-4 (shootout), the Avalance 4-3 (OT goal), the Oilers 3-2 (shootout), and the Bruins 4-3 (shootout).

It looks like they beat the Devils, Flyers, and Maple Leafs in overtime, which simply gets counted as a win.

It is a pretty good rule, once the game goes into overtime, both teams cannot get a loss and only one can get a win. That makes the standings look like this league has lots of great teams!

So their record is really 23-27, many others would have losing records if you included overtime, but this is the NHL! :ThmbUp:

Jim

njcurveball
01-23-2008, 10:14 AM
They were 6-14, now 22-21 and swept Ottawa.

Or if you count what looks like 5 OT losses, they are 22-26.

turfnsport
01-23-2008, 10:36 AM
Go Caps!!....They need to count OT loss as a LOSS with no points, and a shootout loss as one point.

MikeD

cj
01-23-2008, 10:38 AM
Or if you count what looks like 5 OT losses, they are 22-26.

Yes, doesn't change the fact they are the hottest team in hockey. They also get points for those OT losses, so they are better than a regular loss, and four of those have come since the coaching change.

Old coach: 6-14-1 for 13 points in 21 games, avg of .62.
New coach: 16-7-4 for 36 points in 27 games, avg of 1.33.

They are also 8-2 last 10.

BillW
01-23-2008, 10:54 AM
Yes, doesn't change the fact they are the hottest team in hockey.

The Pens are 19-6-2 over the same period :)

cj
01-23-2008, 10:55 AM
The Pens are 19-6-2 over the same period :)

Over the last 10? That is impressive. I seem to recall them getting Ovech-skinned VERY recently. :D

BillW
01-23-2008, 11:06 AM
Over the last 10? That is impressive. I seem to recall them getting Ovech-skinned VERY recently. :D

7-1-2 in last 10. Injuries are tough to deal with.

cj
01-23-2008, 11:11 AM
7-1-2 in last 10. Injuries are tough to deal with.

Damn it, got me again.

banacek
01-23-2008, 11:15 AM
Go Caps!!....They need to count OT loss as a LOSS with no points, and a shootout loss as one point.

MikeD

It is illogical that some games are worth 3 points and some 2.

I'd prefer the European soccer model. 3 points for a game. If you win in regulation you get all 3. If you win in overtime or shoot out you get 2 points and the other team gets 1.

BillW
01-23-2008, 11:17 AM
While the Pens are missing their top line, top defenseman and top goal tender plus Gary Roberts - The Caps probably have a brighter upside for the next month or 2. It's going to be tough with an AHL line and goaltender.

njcurveball
01-23-2008, 11:27 AM
It is illogical that some games are worth 3 points and some 2.

I totally agree and the whole points thing is like high school gym class. What do they do in baseball with extra innings? Football with overtime? Basketball overtime?

These guys make millions, do we ne really need to give them a point "for trying hard and losing"?

Forget the 5 minute overtime and go straight to the shootout. 1 point for just making it to overtime and losing is a joke (IMO).

Jim

ceejay
01-23-2008, 11:44 AM
Here's one for you: The Islanders are 5 games over .500 in NHL math, but have scored 14 less goals than they gave up!

I like the soccer model too: 3 points for regulation win, 2 for ot/so win, 1 for ot/so loss. 3 points/game......

DanG
01-23-2008, 11:50 AM
This is encouraging that Hockey has generated this many responses! :ThmbUp:

To any fan of athletics who hasn’t been to a live game…put it on your must do list. If you can’t; try and get the HD package because the sport really benefits from the wider / sharper screen.

Love it!!! and I beg the sport to go crawling back to ESPN and burn that ‘Vs contract! :bang:
http://ajhs.schools.sd76.ab.ca/GRAPHICS/SPORTS/Hockey%20Academy/Polar%20Bears%20Hockey.jpg

njcurveball
01-23-2008, 12:12 PM
To any fan of athletics who hasn’t been to a live game…put it on your must do list.

I know the baseball people will probably toss a brushback pitch at me, but hockey in person is awesome! But there also needs to be a good venue to make it that way.

The old Philadelphia Spectrum was an amazing building for sports. The crowd was tight to the game and the noise level was high. Since they have moved to the new ____(sponsor name here) Center I have been to more concerts than games.

Hockey is still good there, but nothing like the Spectrum, unless you have some Primo seats. I also had lacrosse tickets (season) at the Spectrum four rows from the field and in between the two benches. When the new Center opened they offered me seats off to the side. Curiously I did not renew them.

Hockey needs to get a facelift for this country to embrace it. The game is exciting, the play is fast and furious and a "Bobby Orr" end to end run is an amazing thing when it happens.

YES! I know Bobby Orr retired long, long ago.

All they need now is a smart coach who can get his team to overtime every game. Then do they claim the first undefeated team in sports history?

Jim

ceejay
01-23-2008, 01:09 PM
Hockey needs to get a facelift for this country to embrace it. Hockey will remain a niche sport in the US. Sunbelt Cup victories did nothing to widen appeal.

The game is fun on almost any level. I even went to http://www.ouhockey.com/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1 over the weekend-- and had a great time-- which drew a couple of hundred but that's hardly embracing the sport.

BTW, Rangers suck. so do the Flyers ;) .

njcurveball
01-23-2008, 01:13 PM
BTW, Rangers suck. so do the Flyers ;) .

Is this a professional opinion? :lol:

ceejay
01-23-2008, 01:22 PM
Uh huh!! :D :D

DanG
01-23-2008, 01:27 PM
I know the baseball people will probably toss a brushback pitch at me, but hockey in person is awesome! But there also needs to be a good venue to make it that way.

The old Philadelphia Spectrum was an amazing building for sports. The crowd was tight to the game and the noise level was high. Since they have moved to the new ____(sponsor name here) Center I have been to more concerts than games.

Hockey is still good there, but nothing like the Spectrum, unless you have some Primo seats.

Hockey needs to get a facelift for this country to embrace it. The game is exciting, the play is fast and furious and a "Bobby Orr" end to end run is an amazing thing when it happens.
Jim
Good stuff Jim, the Spectrum was memorable…

True story;

Went to a Ranger / Flyer playoff game when I was a teenager with my brother…wearing my Rangers jacket. Heard a little bit going in, but really surprisingly nothing during or after the game and the Rangers won.

We were about 8 rows off the ice and I have a hunch if we were in the upper deck we wouldn’t have used the stairs to leave. A couple of Ranger lawn darts would have been sighted! :D

One simple rule change that is a must…

Either…make the rinks larger or 4 on 4…I know all the tradition and records etc…but the players are just too large / too fast today and the equipment too good. Some games 50% of the passes are blocked and 80%+ of the shots!

Jim mentioned the famous end to end Bobby Orr rush…You can count on one hand the times you see true end to end rushes per year now.

skate
01-24-2008, 06:18 PM
great hockey this year:jump:

lots of good young players, hard to believe

skate
01-25-2008, 02:58 PM
Flyers Rule;)

DanG
01-25-2008, 05:18 PM
Flyers Rule;)
Until there’s real money on the table… ;) ;)

skate
01-25-2008, 06:21 PM
Until there’s real money on the table… ;) ;)

well, i heard lots of that sort before the season. some were talking about last season, flyers 0-8, while i was talking about this season. not that it's over but, sure aint NO 0-8 on the Flyers.

And and and, ifin you put your money on the flyers, You're Rich. Or at least, Dan.

ldiatone
01-25-2008, 07:56 PM
I totally agree and the whole points thing is like high school gym class. What do they do in baseball with extra innings? Football with overtime? Basketball overtime?

These guys make millions, do we ne really need to give them a point "for trying hard and losing"?

Forget the 5 minute overtime and go straight to the shootout. 1 point for just making it to overtime and losing is a joke (IMO).

Jim
its all about points. it has always been a tie is 1 point a win is 2. so the ot and shoot out is a bonus if a team wins. also because of travel and the way the game is played(boards, skating on skates, and ice) ot sudden death has been issue. football, 1 game a week, basketball 48mins(4 12min qts) baseball(everybody plays baseball). its on ice! with a stick and a hard rubber
puck!(not like the one they use in craps)

njcurveball
01-25-2008, 08:04 PM
also because of travel and the way the game is played(boards, skating on skates, and ice) ot sudden death has been issue. football, 1 game a week, basketball 48mins(4 12min qts) baseball(everybody plays baseball). its on ice! with a stick and a hard rubber
puck!(not like the one they use in craps)

You are kidding me right? One snap in overtime and a football team's season could be over on an injury. Baseball goes 14 innings, you lose your bullpen for a few days. Basketball, well, the way they play today, I guess they could go 96 minutes!

How many lines in hockey? How many players on the bench? They cannot "man up" and play for a win?

Little wonder the two most popular games in the world that cannot catch on in America are Soccer and Hockey. Wonder why? Perhaps Americans really do not care about ties my friend.

Milleruszk
01-25-2008, 08:19 PM
I subscribed to NHL Center Ice this year and am loving it. I am already getting withdrawal symptoms from this All Star break. No NHL until Tuesday. :(

ceejay
01-27-2008, 06:21 PM
NHL Center Ice this year and am loving it. I just wish it were in HD here!